• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Notes near Body Parts in Belgium Linked to Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arxane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
While the crime committed here is heinous and it's disheartening to see it linked to one of the more eagerly anticipated anime series this year, one thing we have to keep in mind: the person who committed these crimes was demented enough to kill someone, something that doesn't come from being influenced by a series of fiction. It reminds me of a line from the movie "Scream":

Quote:
"Now Sid, don't you blame the movies, movies don't create psychos, movies make psychos more creative!"
TexasAnimeFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't think DN can be blamed for being some psycho's "inspiration". And I personally think some of us would be more concerned about the actual murders then weather or not this would affect the American release of the show.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
If I find humor in all of this, does that make me a bad person?
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
ultrapostman wrote:
kurotsuki wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Seriously, what the hell is up with this year?
i blame it on global warming !

Don't be silly, global warming doesn't exist in Belgium. There're no Democrats there.

Yes, but that doesn't mean there aren't any liberals. Wink

Well, hopefully this will stay under the American media's radar. I'd hate to see this story on Hardball or The O'Reilly Factor. And when they catch whoever did this, I hope they draw and quarter him.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
ultrapostman wrote:
kurotsuki wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Seriously, what the hell is up with this year?
i blame it on global warming !

Don't be silly, global warming doesn't exist in Belgium. There're no Democrats there.

haha , good one .

TakinawaTonfa wrote:
If I find humor in all of this, does that make me a bad person?

yes..if you laugh at the dead persons , no if you laugh at humanity .

but anyway...
as L made a public announcement yet ?
JaxXinn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
This is just plain demented.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
kurotsuki wrote:

but anyway...
as L made a public announcement yet ?

I have sources which indicate that the entire country of Belgium is gonna be a big televised broadcast to call out Kira, using a prisoner in disguise as an ICPO agent.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:

Well, hopefully this will stay under the American media's radar. I'd hate to see this story on Hardball or The O'Reilly Factor.

If it gets on The O'Reilly Factor, I'll be the first to e-mail Bill and tell him he's being an idiot and he should look into the plot of the story. (in a nicer, intelligent way. Anime hyper;; ) My dad's a big fan of his, and while I'm more neutral on him, he DOES occasionally admit when he was wrong--hopefully he'd have the honesty to do so if we caught him on this story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
I don't know if Belgium has the death penalty, but I'd say something like that is definitely worth it. Shocked

Most EU nations take a page from our own home state, and have banned the savage practice of the death penalty, Michigan being the first western government to ban such.

While the killer is messed up on the head the state has no right to take the killers life.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

While the killer is messed up on the head the state has no right to take the killers life.

this is so very ironic , when you consider that this is what Kira really does , he kills bad guys .
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Most EU nations take a page from our own home state, and have banned the savage practice of the death penalty, Michigan being the first western government to ban such.

dude, I love you and your state. Texas could sure learn a thing or two >_>.

YOU HEAR THAT, LIGHT? YOU HEAR THAT, KIRA?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
kurotsuki wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

this is so very ironic , when you consider that this is what Kira really does , he kills bad guys .

He didn't just kill bad guys, not by a long shot.

minakichan wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

dude, I love you and your state. Texas could sure learn a thing or two >_>.

YOU HEAR THAT, LIGHT? YOU HEAR THAT, KIRA?
So what your saying is that this guy should move to Michigan to ensure that his rights aren't violated. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap. That is messed up. Well, crazy killers gotta read something. Seriously, correlation doesn't equal causation, folks. Plus just because someone read a book and went an killed someone doesn't mean you ban a book. Hell, they still teach Catcher in the Rye in schools even after the whole John Lennon assassination.

kokuryu wrote:
lildude wrote:
It's fucked up shit like this that ruins it for the rest of us, now Adult Swim may start to think twice about it's airing later this month.

Sheesh... Makes me glad I watched the fansubs they way they cancel stuff when things like this happens...

Wow. You can take anything to whine about how your fansubs are better than legit releases, can't you? You just took a fictional situation to justify your illegal downloads. Nothing has been canceled and you're already using the hypothetical cancellation of Death Note as your personal justification for downloading fansubs. Someone's been murdered and all you can think about is your precious free downloads. What a leech you are. Anime doesn't need fans like you.

Never mind that books are out anyway if you really want to see the story. Hell, I got all twelve volumes staring me in the face right here on a bookshelf next to my desk.

Then again many comments in this thread have me sharking my head. I think some people here have trouble telling fact from fiction.

kyokun703 wrote:
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
phoenixphire24 wrote:
SIGH

This person is either totally crazy or trying to get attention. Why can't people ruin media that I don't like?
That very immature thinking. Are you in the minds of these people? To be blunt TV and media can trigger mental problems. Stop thinking that someone is always trying to ruin something for you.

They were being sarcastic. I'm sure this person isn't going, "oh, damn, somebody died, but who cares about that, now my anime is ruined." Please.

I hate to break it to you, but I'm sure there are some stupid selfish anime fans who do think like that.

Last edited by The Xenos on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Between the ax murder that cause Higurashi Kai preempted and this new situation. You can not say that TV do not affect real life choices. Some people can not not determine what is fiction and what is real.

And some people, like you, cannot tell facts from speculations: there is no hard evidence showing that suspects of the two Japanese ax murder cases had watched and mimicked Higurashi. Besides, even in this Belgian case, the murderer could have been using "Watashi wa Kira dess" as a diversion to mislead investigators.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
the murderer could have been using "Watashi wa Kira dess" as a diversion to mislead investigators.
oh woah...that would be so very smart....make the investigators look for some geeky manga fan while the real culprit has it easy .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7