• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Notes near Body Parts in Belgium Linked to Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
At least Belgium doesn't have Jack Thompson.

Popular media just can't get past being easy political ammunition and fuel for social hysteria.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
kurotsuki wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

While the killer is messed up on the head the state has no right to take the killers life.

this is so very ironic , when you consider that this is what Kira really does , he kills bad guys .

He didn't just kill bad guys, not by a long shot.

minakichan wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
Most EU nations take a page from our own home state, and have banned the savage practice of the death penalty, Michigan being the first western government to ban such.

While the killer is messed up on the head the state has no right to take the killers life.

dude, I love you and your state. Texas could sure learn a thing or two >_>.

YOU HEAR THAT, LIGHT? YOU HEAR THAT, KIRA?
So what your saying is that this guy should move to Michigan to ensure that his rights aren't violated. Rolling Eyes

No...no more killers in MI thank you. We already have too many.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
Most EU nations take a page from our own home state, and have banned the savage practice of the death penalty, Michigan being the first western government to ban such.

dude, I love you and your state. Texas could sure learn a thing or two >_>.

YOU HEAR THAT, LIGHT? YOU HEAR THAT, KIRA?

I'm going to keep my mouth shut on my comments towards Texas. In my MI history class we're current reading about the last hanging under MI law. As much as people bash Michigan we're really quite a civilized state, even Detroit is a great place.

I don't think this will have any affect on Viz or AS as they both know that much like with violent games, violent shows don't really change how violent people are in the end, they just provide excuses for bad parenting.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm not a supporter of serial killers and or serial killing activities of any sort. However, if you must pursue such activities, at least do it right. I mean, my god, wheres the creativity? Just ripping off a fictional killing? Weak. And they cant even get it right! Apparently you can go to the trouble of killing a man and dismembering his body, but not the trouble of using spell checker!? Truely this is a sad day for serial killers everywhere.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Now I'm not a supporter of serial killers and or serial killing activities of any sort. However, if you must pursue such activities, at least do it right. I mean, my god, wheres the creativity? Just ripping off a fictional killing? Weak. And they can't even get it right! Apparently you can go to the trouble of killing a man and dismembering his body, but not the trouble of using spell checker!? Truely this is a sad day for serial killers everywhere.

*snort* Agh, that was terrible of me, but I really thought your comment was funny. I'm such a bad person!

I'm thinking this "Kira" probably just watched too much anime and he transliterated what he heard, and it sounds like "dess" if they don't accentuate the "su." :/ So now we know the killer watched the anime instead of just reading the manga. :/ A cluuuuuuuuuuuue! not.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Dude, I will totally grab a machine gun on xmas and go to a random mall and start firing and yelling "Yaoi and shonen ai loli made me do it" so Yaoi and shonen ai will be banned from this country because it makes you firing guns on xmas on crowds....

please understand the sarcasm....
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Dude, I will totally grab a machine gun on xmas and go to a random mall and start firing and yelling "Yaoi and shonen ai loli made me do it" so Yaoi and shonen ai will be banned from this country because it makes you firing guns on xmas on crowds....

Hmm... you think you could claim that bad Mary Sue fanfiction made you do it instead? Wink
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
i love news like this

when it comes to an anime/manga i DEEPLY despise, i dont need to hope for things like this to happen, but it brings me joy when very bad news drags the name down to the bottom of the barrel to suffocate.

I have already become so sick of Death Note, anything bad happens to it makes me happy!

same goes with yaoi, major crimes commited in the name of yaoi good for me, as i hate it with every fiber of my being.

BUT

then again, dont you expect something like this was going to happen anyway?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
VEGANDARAE wrote:
i love news like this

when it comes to an anime/manga i DEEPLY despise, i don't need to hope for things like this to happen, but it brings me joy when very bad news drags the name down to the bottom of the barrel to suffocate.

I have already become so sick of Death Note, anything bad happens to it makes me happy!

same goes with yaoi, major crimes commited in the name of yaoi good for me, as i hate it with every fiber of my being.

BUT

then again, don't you expect something like this was going to happen anyway?

So wait...you're happy that theres a dismemeber corpse in a park, in Belgium, near notes, that talk about Death Note? Just because you dislike it as a show its alright that a man is dead...his body in pieces no less?

I don't even know what to say to this other than it disgusts me.

I'm sorry Xenos I think anime doesn't need idiots like this moreso than one fansub lover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Now I'm not a supporter of serial killers and or serial killing activities of any sort. However, if you must pursue such activities, at least do it right. I mean, my god, wheres the creativity? Just ripping off a fictional killing? Weak. And they can't even get it right! Apparently you can go to the trouble of killing a man and dismembering his body, but not the trouble of using spell checker!? Truely this is a sad day for serial killers everywhere.

*snort* Agh, that was terrible of me, but I really thought your comment was funny. I'm such a bad person!

I'm thinking this "Kira" probably just watched too much anime and he transliterated what he heard, and it sounds like "dess" if they don't accentuate the "su." :/ So now we know the killer watched the anime instead of just reading the manga. :/ A cluuuuuuuuuuuue! not.

No no! You're absolutely right! It is a clue! And not only did the killer watch the anime, they watched it FANSUBBED, and not only that -- they watched it fansubbed after it was licensed! See? Fansubs are evil!

My French isn't too good anymore, but the article seems to indicate that there is some question about the 'freshness' of these bits and the quality (good(?)) of the cuts through the femurs. My application of Occam's Razor to the skimpy facts provided so far suggests drunken med student prank, not the emergence of a new serial killer.
hotah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
This is disgusting!
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
VEGANDARAE wrote:
i love news like this

when it comes to an anime/manga i DEEPLY despise, i don't need to hope for things like this to happen, but it brings me joy when very bad news drags the name down to the bottom of the barrel to suffocate.

BUT

then again, don't you expect something like this was going to happen anyway?

What is your problem that you'd be happy at some horrific crime done in the name of anime, just because you're sick of it, tired of it, or don't agree with it? I hate loli, but I'm not going to cheer if some child gets molested and killed and they happen to find the criminal's house stacked to the gills with lolicon. That's just disgusting and vile that you'd revel in someone else's misery to prove a stupid point (I use the term "prove" loosely).
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:

"machine gun" as in something full auto? Only if you can find a dealer with a Class III FFL, fill out all the appropriate paper work, go through background checks, pay for any transfer fees, pay for a $200 tax stamp, plunk down some serious money for the weapon, and then spend even more money for ammo and mags. If you live in California, then just good luck getting a firearm at all. Razz

It would have to be established that there were some long term effects and influences that the material had on you for it to be actually considered. If it was established it was something you decided on the fly, then what you would have said during the rampage would more than likely be disregarded.

Quote:
"Yaoi and shonen ai loli made me do it"

To nitpick, loli is a feminine term while shota would be the proper word to use.

...Damn, that's sad that I know that

---

If the killer in Belgium was indeed influenced by Death Note, so what. When you come to think about it for the thousands or millions who can get through either a violent or disturbing movie, TV show, manga, etc. without being influenced to commit violence or some other act of depravity, there will be a small minority who will be influenced to do something nasty. The conditions are just right and something just clicks when that minority are exposed.

Most of us will look at something for either the sheer visceral value or try discern a higher meaning out of something violent, dark, and/or disturbing. There will be the few who find some kind of influence.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore and kyokun703:

Oh come off it. Without a doubt its stupid to be happy that something with the potential to cause major controversy has happened just because you don't like Death Note, especially since it would likely reflect poorly on Anime in genral. However, obviously he isn't saying he's glad someone is dead or that it makes it okay for that matter. I mean come on. (for that matter, its fairly obvious he's partially joking too.)
eymboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
Great, a wannabe killer on teh loose... -.-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7