• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds .hack//Quantum, Streams Guilty Crown

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
"elite subcription" either needs a [sic] or a spellcheck Wink
Perhaps it refers to a partial upgrade of their Netflix services ~ dubs will be available to everyone, subs will be encrypted and those who can break the code get to have subs.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well that sucks. Another very well animated anime being stuck with a 360p stream.

Unless you purchase their premium service. Smile

Seriously, I would assume it would include simulcasts in HD as they will have that capability.

You can also get 480p by viewing their simulcasts on Hulu instead of Funimation's own website. That is what I have been doing for the past few seasons.

Regarding the premium service, a quick count shows 167 streaming titles currently on their site, so hopefully that "200 titles" wasn't an optimistic approximation, and the premium service will have more titles, not simply more episodes of existing streaming titles.

I hope for those that elect not to pay for their premium service that this doesn't result in a change with the number of titles they have been making available on Netflix.

On a positive note, it appears they have already posted the 3 episodes of .hack//Quantum to their site:
http://www.funimation.com/hackquantum/episodes
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is that I hope that Hiroyuki Yoshino still has some fresh ideas and he didn't use them all doing My-Otome, and Seikon no Quaser.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Some nice pick ups it seems, looking foward to the hack ova and checking out the Guilty Crown stream.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Perhaps it refers to a partial upgrade of their Netflix services ~ dubs will be available to everyone, subs will be encrypted and those who can break the code get to have subs.

No, the information presented elsewhere makes it evident this is a service at their own site.

The following website seems to have a bit more information than the ANN article, including an imbedded YouTube video from Funimation:
http://www.fandompost.com/2011/10/01/funimation-introduces-elite-subscriptions/

The feature list presented there states, "...more than 200 shows and movies", which makes it clear more titles will be available than they currently stream.

It also mentions this little nugget:

"Sign up for a 2 Week FREE Trial to get Instant Access".
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Cool, that .Hack OVA is finally coming over! Smile

Awesome, I thought Funi would pick up a second big show for the fall to along with my most anticipated show in Last Exile. Glad they're already confirming both streaming and full Blu-ray/DVD releases proactively (even if they usually have happened it's great to know a real release is coming). Looking forward to Guilty Crown and seeing what it's like.

Hmmm, I still wouldn't be surprised if they get one more and pick up Un-Go given the staff and connections to both the studio and previous staff they might have had some contact with.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's really surprising that Funimation picked up a .hack title. Never in a hundred years would I have predicted that.
I just really wish Bandai Namco would release the damn PSP .hack//Link game. This also just goes to show that Bandai Ent. isn't doing so hot. Glad to know that no knowledge of the .hack//Link game is need to enjoy this title. I'm happy that its coming out one way or another.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
agila61 wrote:
No, the information presented elsewhere makes it evident this is a service at their own site.
Sigh. Lame joke defeated by poor phrasing. That should have been: "Perhaps it refers to a partial upgrade compared to their Netflix services ~ dubs will be available to everyone, subs will be encrypted and those who can break the code get to have subs."
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmm .Hack Quantum was good but why cant they get he 4 ovas of Ah My Goddess all ready
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation has a Roku channel that allows for it to access this new subscription set up, then I might actually bite Cool
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
This is surprising, FUNimation picking up a .hack anime, especially when a lot of the hype for the franchise is gone. It's practically dead almost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I couldn't get into .hack//Roots, I don't think any games after the original four were ever released here

The .hack//G.U. trilogy of games were released here, which //Roots was made to promote, as it is a prequel to those games.

I don't believe they were released here, and PS2 games are region-locked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
opn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
seems like noone was there at the panel too report other then the news...anyway here are the tipits of info for everyone not just funi
aniplex -
- no drrr blu ray since japanese doesnt have one and madoka blu ray still not decided and their currently working on the dub
- i asked him personally about darker than black 1 and he said funimation has the blu ray license
- no toaginu no chi bloody curs (i was sad to hear this since i liked this series much more then oreimo Crying or Very sad )
- no progress on bakemono
thats about it now funi
- more op is coming but be patient and strong world is in the next set of contracts
- their looking into licensing future diary/mirai nikki
- if tales of vesperia first strike sells they will license other tales of anime including the symphonia ovas'
- no plans to release rainbow or nanoha strikerS (this made me so sad i loved both series Anime cry and i was the guy who asked about rainbow during the Q&A BTW)
also funny how he said they werent aware of the hxh remake Laughing
viz (nothing much really)
- inyuasha the final act is coming probably next year
- their aware of the beelzebub anime and manga and she said to wait for more info
i asked about nura but she said she didn't know the status for it and the same thing was said about other vizanime stuff.

Last edited by opn on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
This is surprising, FUNimation picking up a .hack anime, especially when a lot of the hype for the franchise is gone. It's practically dead almost.

I blame Namco for not licensing the PSP game Sad I'm actually more surprised that Funi got this and not Bandai. Well, at least we won't have to suffer the Bandai delays :p
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. It's great that Funimation has finally added a much overdue HD option to their simulcasts. However, this is becoming a bit problematic. I'd happily pay $8 a month to watch the half dozen or so shows I'm into each season in HD. However, I'm sure not going to pay $8 to watch the show Funi has plus another $8 to watch the couple Crunchyroll has plus $8 for the one the Anime Network has. I don't expect every single show to be on one service but at least the bulk of the stuff. I like the subscription model but clearly it's not going to work unless it's consolidated a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3