• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds .hack//Quantum, Streams Guilty Crown

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
OMG HOLY CATS THEY GOT QUANTUM YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:
seems like noone was there at the panel too report other
- no plans to release rainbow or nanoha strikerS (this made me so sad i loved both series Anime cry and i was the guy who asked about rainbow during the Q&A BTW)

I haven't watched Rainbow yet, but I am also disappointed on StrikerS, but I can't say I am surprised. If obtaining it meant dealing with Geneon Universal in Japan, however, I have to think that may have been a significant factor.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:
seems like noone was there at the panel too report other then the news...anyway here are the tipits of info for everyone not just funi
aniplex -
- no drrr blu ray since japanese doesnt have one and madoka blu ray still not decided and their currently working on the dub
- i asked him personally about darker than black 1 and he said funimation has the blu ray license

Awesome! Can't wait for Funi to put out the first season of DTB on blu-ray will totally double-dip, already have the second season BD/DVD pre-ordered. Man do I love that franchise, still hoping for a third season some day heh Smile

Nice, glad to hear they're making progress on madoka, looking forward to the dub too, which still brings me back to it's ashame that Blue Exorcist isn't getting the same BD treatment.

Can't wait to add Quantum to my .Hack collection Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

Although I am pretty confused by the .hack thing. I don't know many people who still follow that franchise and it's popularity has pretty much died down(and to be honest I don't really know if that popularity was ever really all that big or not)

It pretty much peaked during the time of the Cartoon Network airing.

ikillchicken wrote:

I'd happily pay $8 a month to watch the half dozen or so shows I'm into each season in HD. However, I'm sure not going to pay $8 to watch the show Funi has plus another $8 to watch the couple Crunchyroll has plus $8 for the one the Anime Network has. I don't expect every single show to be on one service but at least the bulk of the stuff. I like the subscription model but clearly it's not going to work unless it's consolidated a bit.

A Netflix of anime......... Somebody could scrounge up enough startup capital........ Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't know. It's great that Funimation has finally added a much overdue HD option to their simulcasts. However, this is becoming a bit problematic. I'd happily pay $8 a month to watch the half dozen or so shows I'm into each season in HD. However, I'm sure not going to pay $8 to watch the show Funi has plus another $8 to watch the couple Crunchyroll has plus $8 for the one the Anime Network has. I don't expect every single show to be on one service but at least the bulk of the stuff. I like the subscription model but clearly it's not going to work unless it's consolidated a bit.

Totally agree, though it comes down to $6 for Crunchyroll if you pay yearly, something I wish Funimation would also do. I also presume it's still region blocked. And I wonder if they'll be using softsubs. Nonetheless I'd probably sign up for now to check it out.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Totally agree, though it comes down to $6 for Crunchyroll if you pay yearly, something I wish Funimation would also do. I also presume it's still region blocked. And I wonder if they'll be using softsubs. Nonetheless I'd probably sign up for now to check it out.

A minor point, but Crunchyroll is $59.95 paid yearly, which would be $5 per month.

Another technicality is that the "12 month" membership is actually 360 days, leading to a renewal period creep of 5 days per year (or 6 for leap years, of course).

As to the Funimation Elite Subscription service, I expect they will offer an annual subscription some time after the rollout, as it is in their favor to do so.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
configspace wrote:

A minor point, but Crunchyroll is $59.95 paid yearly, which would be $5 per month.

Another technicality is that the "12 month" membership is actually 360 days, leading to a renewal period creep of 5 days per year (or 6 for leap years, of course).

As to the Funimation Elite Subscription service, I expect they will offer an annual subscription some time after the rollout, as it is in their favor to do so.

I'd also like to see them and Crunchyroll expand into console support. The only reason I haven't signed up for Crunchyroll yet is I'd like to be able to play them on my TV using my 360 instead of having to buy a Roku box.

opn wrote:
- more op is coming but be patient and strong world is in the next set of contracts

I'm also calling BS on this. There is no way in hell or on earth Sheehan would be able to comment on individual items in a major contract like this. I'm calling proof or it didn't happen.
N.R.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation, Thank you for licensing .hack//Quantum. However, please don't release an upscaled BD using the SD DVD material. This OVA looks amazing and has been created in native HD. If, for some god forsaken reason (profit??) you decide to release an upscale, please reveal it is an upscaled BEFORE selling it to us. In short, please don't "Spice and Wolf" on us again. Thank you.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Well, at least we won't have to suffer the Bandai delays :p

It has started to seem that maybe FUNi has been using the same vendor these last few releases. Except that in many of their cases, some product gets out, but they hold the ship date back to get fully in-stock first *grumble*.

And just so everyone above is happy: *rouble*rouble*subscription service*rouble*rouble* Mostly serious though. I prefer buying, and consider total-cost-of-ownership when setting a purchase price. Watching/demoing on subscription adds cost on the front-end, and even in "HD," streams will never look or sound as good as a real BD (unless the authoring sucks or streaming methodologies improve dramatically.) So I'll pass on the subscription.

Related topic: when are they ever going to put HD content in their on-demand listings? Not that I will ever hit-up their sVOD for it (see above,) but it just makes those offerings seem even more silly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3