• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animator Shunji Suzuki Confirms Nichijō, R-15, Itsuten's Low Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Well that a shame Nichijou but not surprising for the other two
ChikaneHomura

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Lucky Star wasn't at all popular before the anime o_0

It was just like K-ON, where the manga became popular because of the anime.

I'm pretty sure Lucky Star had more popularity before its anime than K-On did before its though. K-On was really obscure before KyoAni touched it. Lucky Star was serialized in a pretty popular magazine. Though to be fair, it's the same mag as Nichijou which hurts my point lol.

With Lucky Star anime they heavily associated it with Haruhi which I believe helped it to some degree.

Even if Nichijou was a little lower priced, I don't think it would have been anywhere near the hit that Haruhi, Lucky Star, or K-On were, but its price undoubtedly hurt its sales. If you read the Amazon reviews you'll see the price as being the most common complaint about it.

Well hopefully once its box set comes around it will do a bit better or it finds success in its primetime re-airing.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
How ironic people kept trashing Nichijou for being 'more moe crap' yet now, suddenly since it bombs, it's not moe. That definition changes with each day.

Anyway, I liked it, and sad to see it do poorly, but it was up against some stiff competition. I can totally accept AnoHana, Steins;Gate, and others outselling it.. Nichijou wasn't exactly a top show for me.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
How ironic people kept trashing Nichijou for being 'more moe crap' yet now, suddenly since it bombs, it's not moe. That definition changes with each day.

It's just that those people don't even understand what "moe" is in the first place. They just use it to bash shows they don't like.
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
shame to hear Nichijou didn't sell, i didn't watch it but i heard it was good
not suprised R-15 didn't sell, i only watched 1 episode but tbh you didn't even have to watch 5 mins of an episode to realise it wouldn't sell, it was just terrible
i thought Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi would at least break even, it wasn't amazing or anything but it wasn't bad enough to warrant not even breaking even, maybe just over even

although in the end, the Summer season wasn't overly great anyway, so the fact that only 3 series that ran throughout the season didn't break even is somewhat suprising, thought it would have been more
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm sure there are more than just those shows that didn't break even. Those are just the Kadokawa shows after all. We still only have the vol. 1 numbers for only half of summer thus far, but from this post it's pretty easy to see that all the shows below the 'Manabi Line' are going to lose money.

I can tell you that based on Blood-C's current Amazon "stalker points", its sales are going to be miserable.

Last edited by Megiddo on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising for A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives. It was good IMO, but they tried too hard to appeal to the otaku crowd. Also, never watched Nichjiou (Was on the fence for it.), but I know lots of people aren't going to like this.

I blame the super high Japanese prices. They probably had to pay like $100 for 3-4 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I'd also like to point out that while Nichijou's sales were poor in terms of typical KyoAni sales, it still did a lot better than other spring shows, notably TWGOK II and Deadman Wonderland, but full list can be seen here

Those are some depressing...I hope the OVA and future episodes can boost Astarotte No Omocha's sales. That show was my favourite that season. And I wanted a 2nd season to see Naoya and Lotte's relationship progress further. Crying or Very sad

Also...shame that Nichijou didn't do as well as expected, but atleast it still went past the Manabi line. As for why it didn't do so hot...I think it's because people's expectations were far too high. They were expecting an "excellent", but they only got a "good", souring their taste a little.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

I blame the super high Japanese prices. They probably had to pay like $100 for 3-4 episodes.

They do that all the damn time. If that was the problem then no show would have profitable sales but the ones people like do! So the more likely culprit for low sales would be people didn't like the shows enough to buy them.
ItAintEazy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
One: the fact that R-15 tanked proves that there is a God.

Two: Until someone can explain that "Akutagawa Prize" joke in the first episode will I feel bad about Nichijou tanking as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Hakase wants the Akutagawa Prize. It's not really a joke, it's just a running gag.

EDIT: I suppose the joke could be that Hakase doesn't quite know the difference between prizes, as the Akutagawa Prize is a literary award, whereas Hakase was talking about receiving it for an invention/science type thing. So the contrast between Hakase being able to build a fully functional (and sentient!) robot and yet not know the difference between the different awards in Japan could be the joke?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Nichijo was a great and funny show. I'm sad it didn't do so well.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
ItAintEazy wrote:
Two: Until someone can explain that "Akutagawa Prize" joke in the first episode will I feel bad about Nichijou tanking as well.

Megiddo wrote:
EDIT: I suppose the joke could be that Hakase doesn't quite know the difference between prizes, as the Akutagawa Prize is a literary award, whereas Hakase was talking about receiving it for an invention/science type thing. So the contrast between Hakase being able to build a fully functional (and sentient!) robot and yet not know the difference between the different awards in Japan could be the joke?

If you really mess with it, Akutagawa can also mean "the actor". Akutagawa sho would be "actor awards". Nano says she's just pretending when she says she wishes she wasn't an android, so Hakase says to take her "acting award".

Basically, Hakase thinks her literary award is an acting award, which explains Nanos puzzled "Why!?" response. I guess an English equivalent would be telling someone sarcastically that they should get an Oscar when they pretend/fake something (fibbing, crying, angry, etc...).

At least that's how I took it after doing research on it for my mock script. Nichijou is full of word and kanji play.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I can tell you that based on Blood-C's current Amazon "stalker points", its sales are going to be miserable.

Not surprising, Blood: The Last Vampire sold a lot better in America, and Blood+'s claim to fame was that the ratings where bad compared to the previous three series of Gundam Seed, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Gundam Seed Destiny.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Lucky Star had almost the exact same release. And it sold almost 10 times as much as Nichijou.

Lucky Star is 12 volumes with a ~7k yen MSRP.
Nichijou is 13 volumes with a ~7-8k yen MSRP

And yet Lucky Star made a ton of money... I wonder why.

Someone else touched on this, but to expand on it. In addition to being a BD/DVD release as opposed to DVD, Nichijou's release screamed milking the fanbase for all it's worth. Some of them probably said "It's not worth it" before they even started. Between 13 volumes, different covers on every single version of the release, special limited versions at shops with unique items that went beyond the normal store specific special bonuses, etc etc. There was nothing about that release that didn't scream desperation for sales from Kadokawa.

Also Nichijou seems to have connected with the non-DVD buying crowd. It was supposedly pretty popular on NicoNico Douga and yet had terrible numbers comparatively on the Nico Market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5