• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Clannad "Canned Bread" Promotion Launched

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I think it was an old issue of either Animerica or Tokyopop Magazine where they were going over the "crazy" foods found in Japan. I remember canned bread was one of those items. Funny thing is we've had canned bread in the US (at least in New England) for many years (certainly before I was born in 1980). Pretty common in these parts to buy a can of brown bread to go with your beans and hot dogs.

And now I'm craving just that...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Cool - I wonder if I could find this for sale somewhere - the local anime/manga shop carries other food items...
SpikesGrrl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I think it was an old issue of either Animerica or Tokyopop Magazine where they were going over the "crazy" foods found in Japan. I remember canned bread was one of those items. Funny thing is we've had canned bread in the US (at least in New England) for many years (certainly before I was born in 1980). Pretty common in these parts to buy a can of brown bread to go with your beans and hot dogs.

And now I'm craving just that...

Emerje

yep I know what u mean I am originally from Massachusetts and my mom would always make brown bread with our hot dogs and baked beans (nothing like B&M beans)

Mary
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
wait...do they bake the bread in the can or do they put it in afterwords? And i'm right to assume this bread is cooked too.

Sounds nifty- i'd love to try some. Maybe I can check Wizzywig on my way back home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
XDXD I want some. Never heard of "canned bread" (I live in the middle of nowhere, deep in the regions of nothingness.) before, but it sounds like an interesting promotion =D
Ahhhh... Yet another reason I curse my inability to go to Akihabara Anime cry
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting.But you know some collectors will get a hold of these items and not open them at all.Then wait a while then sell them later on.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Sounds interesting.But you know some collectors will get a hold of these items and not open them at all.Then wait a while then sell them later on.

I wonder if the bread will still be edible then, unless cans have been gamma-irradiated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
wait...do they bake the bread in the can or do they put it in afterwords? And i'm right to assume this bread is cooked too.

Yep, it's cooked right in the can, it even takes the shape of the can like cranberry jelly does, rings and all. Since it's cooked in the can it stays moist (not soggy) and since there's no air it's pretty dense. I'd love to try these Japanese flavors, molasses and raisin flavors only go so far.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
infoman99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
ahhh now if they can introduce maple-flavour i'd buy them out
*loves maple a little too much* but i do wish that the japanese could introduce their products to north america(just food people)
a little bit more,, well i guess there is some japanese food that is brought here but there's more to just pocky and other foods that i don't have any knowlodge over maybe i'll ask the wizards guy
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
You name the food product, and the Japanese will find an abnormal way to package it.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
infoman99 wrote:
ahhh now if they can introduce maple-flavour i'd buy them out
*loves maple a little too much* but i do wish that the japanese could introduce their products to north america(just food people)
a little bit more,, well i guess there is some japanese food that is brought here but there's more to just pocky and other foods that i don't have any knowlodge over maybe i'll ask the wizards guy

does that have anything to do with you being from Canada? Wink
the bread sound cool...i wonder how long it takes to expire...probably really fast?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
Sounds good...I like eating small amounts of the raw Pilsbury dough in a can, so I'd imagine that baked bread would be even better.
Enner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Mmm, chocolate bread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1