• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Buy Nausicaa's Gun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skogga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Looks really easy to make a cosplay copy. PVC, some kiln-dried pine and stain, no fancy stocks and you'd have a great prop for a lot less than the going price.

As for making a firing replica, there hasn't been a turnbolt shotgun made in a long time to modify.

I wanna make her mask! Moulded in silicone it would be great to wear all day and night at cons!!
Dave M

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I do not know what you mean by turnbolt, but Mossberg was making bolt action shotguns right up until 2002.

Considering you can geta bolt action shotgun for 100 bucks, that leaves lot of budget to get a gunsmith to rework one into a good, safe, fully firing copy.

Here is an example in 20 gauge i found:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=13769918

I would suggest smaller gauges, like .410 or maybe 20 gauge. I think if someone was so interested .410 gauge would be the way to go. assuming the wood parts are done over a steel frame, the gun should have enough raw mass to let the owner handle the recoil.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:28 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
goshin23 wrote:
I like the way it looks.
Very cool.
Now if they can just make Alucard's gun from Hellsing... Wink

Unless it's got a load similar to a 40/70 Government round, then it would probably blow your hand off.

Try looking for a modified 30 caliber pistol to take 30-30 rounds if you want something similar in power. Also, a .500 S&W would be nice too.

arucards funs are already in a pistol round there 454 casull just the round would kaboom the 1911 platform which is what his are based on there just extremly longslided 1911's with massive frame and slide.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dave M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Well... there are custom 1911 frames which might be able to be modified to handle .454 casull.

The 1911 frame has such a following with gunsmiths there is certaint o be one out there.

The Kaboom factor would not be worrying as much as recoil management.
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:59 pm Reply with quote
For a little bit more than what they want for a non-firing replica of Nausicaa's gun, you could have a gunsmith make up an actual firing version out of a bolt-action shotgun. It could be affordable, especially if you were handy and could make up the stock yourself. And if you know someone who does handloads, you could even have special shells made up such as slugs with tracer. Anyway, people could make up good cosplay replicas with very little money. Yes, the Mehve would be a nice commuter vehicle, but for bustin' through the traffic jams, I'd take the Gunship. (^_*)
Kidotai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:45 am Reply with quote
Dave M wrote:
Well... there are custom 1911 frames which might be able to be modified to handle .454 casull.

The 1911 frame has such a following with gunsmiths there is certaint o be one out there.

The Kaboom factor would not be worrying as much as recoil management.

So, what choice of gun? I count at least 10 variants in my Jane's Guns Recognition Guide.
Dave M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:53 am Reply with quote
Well.... I would suggest one of the online gun forums and let a gunsmith do the picking, if he doesn't just fabricate something custom.
the_redstar_swl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:53 am Reply with quote
3k ehy? hmm that will get me a AR-15(.223/5.60(?)) a degel(in .50 AE) and a rem 870 Expres (12 ga) 'ocorse i have the 870 and AR so a .50 cal pistol
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:07 am Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
For a little bit more than what they want for a non-firing replica of Nausicaa's gun, you could have a gunsmith make up an actual firing version out of a bolt-action shotgun.

I think you people are missing the point,its not about buying a gun to fire its so you can have a nice replica to act as a piece of memorabilia.Its just like buying a replica LOTR sword or a replica lightsaber.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
herbkir wrote:
For a little bit more than what they want for a non-firing replica of Nausicaa's gun, you could have a gunsmith make up an actual firing version out of a bolt-action shotgun.

I think you people are missing the point,its not about buying a gun to fire its so you can have a nice replica to act as a piece of memorabilia.Its just like buying a replica LOTR sword or a replica lightsaber.
were just saying for that kind of money might as well make a real one.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dave M

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:36 am Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
herbkir wrote:

Well... my idea of a replica LOTR sword was paying a swordsmith to make one that was functional, so I can understand the logic of the thread.

... on swords, try www.swordforum.com for that sort of thing Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2