• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva 1.0 Theme Helps Singer Set Digital Download Record

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The Flavor of Life sales I believe include ringtone downloads, not just the actual song. Still that's impressive.

Quote:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that she's American (she was born in New York City). Still, hopefully this'll get the word out about her around America.

Actually she released an album here in America (I bought it) and it didn't really generate enough popularity except in the club scene. The dissapointing sales of Utada's CD are the reason Ayumi Hamasaki canceled a release of an experimental CD in the US (can she even speak english though?) Sure she may be American but even then with a name like Utada, most American listeners probably wouldn't wanna give a listen. I don't know of any Asian who's really become popular in the American music scene.

tempest wrote:
Arcwave wrote:
Britney Spears > Utada Hikaru

Not on iTunes :-p

Well, Gimme More was the top song on I-Tunes for a while actually. I prefer Spears to Utada myself. I don't mind Utada (I think she's very talented and also very sweet) but I'm gonna go with the other poster who said Koda Kumi or Ayumi Hamasaki (JPOP Queen) for my fave major JPOP artist.

Utada sure was right when she said Japan would buy anything she put out regardless of what it was. It's pretty weird that somebody said that Britanny Spears was better than Utada because she actually is considered the Spears of Japan (Utada said she hates to be compared to her though.) The last good Utada song in my opinion was Be My Last or Wings. Her style has become too experimental for my tastes but I did enjoy Beautiful World.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Have you actually listened to her ill-fated 2004 US album? It was a total disappointments because she barely song a note on the entire album. It was so much techno club nonsense on it nothing like her Japanese work.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Or....it's because "Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)-2007 Mix" is a remix of a song Utada already released twice seven years ago.

And how is that any different from those Evangelion dvds with "extra footage"?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Or....it's because "Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)-2007 Mix" is a remix of a song Utada already released twice seven years ago.

And how is that any different from those Evangelion dvds with "extra footage"?

Not much. Which is why when entirely new releases were selling better than mere reissues, no one credible was claiming that's a sign of a "dead" franchise there either.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that she's American (she was born in New York City). Still, hopefully this'll get the word out about her around America.

Other Americans who have made their mark in Japan include singer Yuna Ito, born in Los Angeles, California and raised in Hawaii, and model, singer and television personality Leah Dizon, aka "Leah-chan," born in Las Vegas, Nevada. Ito is half Japanese and half Korean, while Dizon is part Chinese, part Filipino and part French.

On a somewhat unrelated note, Mel Gibson is a natural born American (born in Peekskill, New York), and so was the late Bruce Lee (born in San Francisco, California).
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Good, because the song is awesome, especially for Eva.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Utada did release an album in the U.S. (Timbaland helped produce). It wasn't that successful. Blame the marketing.

She can speak English perfectly because she spent a considerable amount of time living in the U.S. I do not know if it's true that she was born here. I'm positive she studied here (I believe she went to Columbia?)
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
I'm 99.9% sure that Hikaru Utada was born in the US. I even remember hearing a story about her telling the producer of her first album that she could write songs in Japanese--but in reality, she could only speak it, and didn't know how to read or write it. She had to learn how to do so pretty quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Question: I've been searching Itunes for these supposed songs, but to no avail.

Where can I find these tracks?
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
FanFicGuru wrote:

Again, if you switch to either the UK or Japanese version of iTunes, they are there, plain as day. However, you'll need some type of conversation method to buy these songs.

You can only just buy the CD on Amazon.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
FanFicGuru wrote:

Again, if you switch to either the UK or Japanese version of iTunes, they are there, plain as day. However, you'll need some type of conversation method to buy these songs.

You can only just buy the CD on Amazon.

Thank you. And I take it you meant "Conversion" instead of conversation, as in yen to dollars or pounds to dollars or whatever.

Thanks again.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But actually, when I think about it, my comment isn't entirely off, because it's clear the main reason people d/led the new theme song was cus of her, while most fans could care less about the old one, which probably means the series isn't as big anymore. That makes me wonder if her song wasn't a major factor in the film's success[by non-inflation standards].

I'm pretty sure the series is rather big. Partially because of the movie but also because everyone's still buying into it, Evangelion is EVERYWHERE in Japan right now -- or at least very much in Tokyo. In Akihabara, the central place for anime goodies, Evangelion goods and posters are everywhere and there are quite a few displays with Rei statues or Asuka statues and the Eva theme playing. Even in places like Ikebukuro I found an Evangelion store with t-shirts, figures, toys, an Eva-01 statue, and a Rei statue, and there were tons of people around it looking at the displays and buying things. There's even a new Eva pachinko slot machine that I see all over the place, even in the pachinko parlors near my college.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Michi: Flooding a place with merchandise isn't the same as selling merchandise. For example, does anyone actually own any Jar Jar action figures? Rolling Eyes
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Michi: Flooding a place with merchandise isn't the same as selling merchandise. For example, does anyone actually own any Jar Jar action figures? Rolling Eyes

I didn't buy any Jar Jar action figures, but I actually thought he was funny.

The thing is, this long after the series was being made...I doubt they'd still be making merchandise if people weren't buying it. Heck, even at the local con I recently went to they were selling Eva merchandise and people were buying it. It's a fan favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Evangelion goods and posters are everywhere and there are quite a few displays with Rei statues or Asuka statues and the Eva theme playing.

OT: Kaiyodo will have an exhibition named "Desire and Consumption: Kaiyodo and Otaku Culture" with over 3,000 figures at Taipei Fine Arts Museum, starting from November 17. This is their first exhibition overseas. If I remember correctly, that famous 1:1 Rei Ayanami figure will be among items on exhibit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3