• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece: the Next Generation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Goshdarn double post!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by BrothersElric on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
As much as I liked the dub after the first episode of it, I still wasn't too sure to think of it at the time because I still felt it was too early to tell, but I think after this past Saturday's episode it's starting to take a more judgeable direction. There's still a few things we're yet to see, such as more epic sequences, battle sequences, dramatic performances, ect. that'll be a much better measuring stick for it, but the comedic feel of the episdoe just really made me feel more like "THIS is what One Piece is supposed to feel like!"

That said I think I have to say I'm really starting to like the Luffy performance. I know, not nearly as good as the Japanese version, but really, is it all that fair to compare it to the Japanese VA? I mean, you really just can't compare it to anything, because it was just simply a performance of it's own, and you can't really match it no matter who you are. But I really feel like the actual character of Luffy anyways is being portrayed very well, and I really think this episode provided a chance for the VA to shine in that. But I agree with Ohoni on this one though, we still haven't seen enough yet, and it'll probably be the dramatic performances for Luffy that'll make or break it, we'll just have to wait and see.

Nami, Usopp and Sanji I think are all being portrayed to perfection in my opinion. They all seem to be capturing those characters' personalities just fine. Zoro, personally, I think Chris Sabat could have probably used more of a Yamcha-styled voice with, but I think the actual character is being portrayed pretty nicely. I sill don't think we've seen enough of him though. And Robin, well, the southern accent's gone, need I say more. Wink Chopper I think is pretty much the same thing as Luffy, it's really not fair to compare to the original Japanese voice. That said, I think the English VA is doing just fine. Anime smile Ace sounds awesome (go Travis Willingham!!! Anime hyper), and, well, I never actually got the chance to hear Buggy's voice in the 4kids version so I can't really compare, but I'm really loving Mike McFarland's Buggy (especially the little snort thing he's doing! Perfect!)

Personally I'm not all that bothered by the name changes for Zoro and Ace. Really, I think it's really a difference between an L and and R and a Tr at the beginning. I am, however, pretty worried about other certain name changes, such as Chaser instead of Smoker, Gum Gum instead of Gomu Gomu, or litteral translations of other devil's fruit names, ect. I'm not sure what to think of the Log Pose being called the Grand Compass yet. Doesn't seem to make that much a difference to me, but then again I know next to nothing about navigation. Wink Oh well, it'll all be in the uncut DVDs anyways, so whatever.

English versions of the songs don't bug me at all either. It does indeed make me raise and eyebrow, especially when they've got the original Japanese for FMA and Trinity Blood. Confused But eh, it's the original OPs and EDs, that's all that matters. Wink

And Kuos to them using the original musical score! Anime hyper One Piece is one of my all times favorites in this area, so it's nice to have it in there.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
English versions of the songs don't bug me at all either. It does indeed make me raise and eyebrow, especially when they've got the original Japanese for FMA and Trinity Blood. Confused But eh, it's the original OPs and EDs, that's all that matters. Wink
I rather like Funi's English versions of songs, but then I prefer English dubs over Japanese dubs anyway. I do wonder about how they decide which series to do them for though. They seem to do them more often for the more mainstream series, at least lately, but not always.

Maybe it has something to do with the way Japanese copyright laws work in terms of who makes decisions on the music rights? (Hey, at least we're getting the real background music now. Not 4kids's contribution to the musical world.)

Much as I agree with Ohoni's gripes, there's not much that can be done and supposedly we'll get most if not all of those issues fixed when the uncut DVDs come out, (in box set form supposedly) so why sweat them anyway? At least we aren't having to deal with 4kids version of Skypiea.

They were going to call it Loftra. Evil or Very Mad
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I rather like Funi's English versions of songs, but then I prefer English dubs over Japanese dubs anyway. I do wonder about how they decide which series to do them for though. They seem to do them more often for the more mainstream series, at least lately, but not always.

Maybe it has something to do with the way Japanese copyright laws work in terms of who makes decisions on the music rights? (Hey, at least we're getting the real background music now. Not 4kids's contribution to the musical world.)

I've kind of noticed that as well, but don't you think FMA would fall under the category of one of the more mainstream seires? But yeah, I think it'd make sense if there was some sort of copyright issue involved, which I'm almost certain by now that's what it is.

Quote:
At least we aren't having to deal with 4kids version of Skypiea.

They were going to call it Loftra. Evil or Very Mad

Oh dear lord, why? Rolling Eyes Aren't we all glad Funi came along and rescued it now? Wink
Drac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Funi dubbing the music was purely by choice actually. Mike McFarland who's the ADR Director and Script Writer of the new dub has a policy about dubbing everything including the OPs and EDs.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I've kind of noticed that as well, but don't you think FMA would fall under the category of one of the more mainstream seires? But yeah, I think it'd make sense if there was some sort of copyright issue involved, which I'm almost certain by now that's what it is.

You know, I'm really tired of this excuse. While I'm sure that in many cases, perhaps even this one, it's truely an issue, it really shouldn't be. When the Japanese companies contract out a nw opening theme or something, they should include in the contract that the rights to the song go with the show, such that when an American company liscenses the show, they don't have to go begging and scraping to Avex or Sony to be able to use the official opening to the show that they just liscensed. That's just bush leagues.

Quote:
Mike McFarland who's the ADR Director and Script Writer of the new dub has a policy about dubbing everything including the OPs and EDs.

I do not like this Mike McFarland.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote
I liked the dub version of some themes in prior shows (I certainly prefer the Bruce Falconer dbz music to the original stuff), but that said, as a general rule I like the original music tracks. Even so, unless they just do a horrible job (I haven't seen this so far, anytime the songs have been dubbed they'd at least been passable) I think it's not a bad thing. You can always get both music sets on the dvd.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
When the Japanese companies contract out a nw opening theme or something, they should include in the contract that the rights to the song go with the show, such that when an American company liscenses the show, they don't have to go begging and scraping to Avex or Sony to be able to use the official opening to the show that they just liscensed.
This isn't always possible. If my understanding of Japanese copyright is correct, and it might not be but I think I've got it straight, it's largely up to the music makers as to whether or not they want to let the anime companies have the rights for further use outside of Japan. Not giving them the rights lets the music groups potentially get more cash, but it's certainly not something liked by fans.

Not all anime companies necessarily consider the distribution outside of Japan. For older titles especially, this has proven to be a problem. Plus, the music rights add to the overall expense of licensing, which is already close to being more than the market in the R1 can bear. (Encourage purchase of official DVDs and legal downloads, the situation will improve.)

Quote:
I do not like this Mike McFarland.
You just want them to put the straight Japanese on TV with some subtitles, don'tcha? Wink

While I can understand disliking the exclusion of the original Japanese OP and ED, it's only for the broadcast and the English dub track on the DVDs. What few visual edits there are and a number of the audio edits like "Trace" and hopefully "Grand Compass" will be absent from the DVDs too and the Japanese will be available with all music intact.

The broadcast is meant to appeal to the broadest range of people and it is likely that Mike McFarland believes that a fully dubbed release is preferable. Now, he may be wrong, but he may also be right. However, I fail to see how having more choices when the DVD comes out can be a bad thing.

@ BrothersElric: I think there was some sort of promotional deal with Fullmetal Alchemist involving the musical group that did the second opening. I'm pretty sure that's why they didn't dub the OPs and EDs for it. (Plus, the LE item with the tins were soundtracks. Clearly they thought the music was a major selling point.)
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I actually thought when this whole licensing rights thing was brought up it actually meant the possibility of the musical group not giving them the rights to actually dub the song, but if the group gave them the rights to do it then that's why they're doing it, but I guess that's not the case. Wink Because I mean yeah, you'd think they'd actually get more money if their version is out here, right?

Richard J. wrote:
While I can understand disliking the exclusion of the original Japanese OP and ED, it's only for the broadcast and the English dub track on the DVDs. What few visual edits there are and a number of the audio edits like "Trace" and hopefully "Grand Compass" will be absent from the DVDs too and the Japanese will be available with all music intact.

The broadcast is meant to appeal to the broadest range of people and it is likely that Mike McFarland believes that a fully dubbed release is preferable. Now, he may be wrong, but he may also be right. However, I fail to see how having more choices when the DVD comes out can be a bad thing.

I suppose that could be a possibility. I know on the DBZ remastered box sets I have (at least on season 1, I haven't gotten the chance yet to see if this is true on the other boxes) even if you choose the english dub with original music it gives you the Bruce Falconer OP instead of the original, so who knows. The basic way around that is to just push the audio button to select the Japanese audio durring the OP and turn it back once the episode starts, but I guess that's not an option on some DVD player remotes, huh? Wink

Quote:
@ BrothersElric: I think there was some sort of promotional deal with Fullmetal Alchemist involving the musical group that did the second opening. I'm pretty sure that's why they didn't dub the OPs and EDs for it. (Plus, the LE item with the tins were soundtracks. Clearly they thought the music was a major selling point.)

Now that I think about it, I do remember reading the soundtrack was available on the LE tin set. I didn't buy it, so I don't know for sure. Anime smile + sweatdrop But that's more than likely where the dub version of "Brothers" came from. I do know that they only did the 1st and 4th OPs in the dub version though, so the others must have not given them the license to do it at all.
AegisX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

also i like zoros, and Sanji old voices better. not saying i hate the new ones, just that it will take some getting use to.
Having Sanji not sound like a dying cow may be the best thing about the new dub, in my opinion.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that Vic Mignogna singing the opening title sequence? I swear it sounds just like him.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Isn't that Vic Mignogna singing the opening title sequence? I swear it sounds just like him.

Bingo.

One of the nicest character changes (or rather "repairs") is that Luffy is more of an eager fighter. He doesn't just come across as some idiot that gets caught up in fights unintentionally and has some lucky wins. Today's episode also portrayed him as someone that actually thinks somewhat rationally about his actions and isn't completely impulsive. I've read some scanlations so I know what's happening in this part of the arc, but it's nice to see the anime finally match the manga.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the thing to remember is that Luffy's mentor was Red Haired Shanks, so he has the same mentality, of having fun as much as possible, but to also know how to handle yourself with some dignity when the situation calls for it. That's why I love Luffy so much as a lead character.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote
It's just good to have a balanced acting approach to Luffy now. (Not to mention a script that wasn't written by a pun fanatic.) You get quiet lines, loud lines, and everything in between now and all of it actually sounds like it's coming from a fun-loving guy rather than a moron.

Still sucks they have to edit, but uncut DVDs will be bought and enjoyed. Just wish Viz would let go of the early episodes so Funi can get to work on them. Sad I guess for now they'll have to focus on Skypiea and beyond. (Oh, I can't wait for them to license, dub, and release of movie 6. That thing starts out so light-hearted and wacky then goes twisted and dark at the end and man what a nice boss battle.)

Funimation really should start grabbing up all the movies ASAP. The ones that are retreads of earlier arcs will let them test run voices.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that definitely was a great episode to continue to judge more of Luffy's voice actress. She really does seem to be portraying the character the way he was intended to be portrayed, that's for sure. I really loved that at the end when he tells Zoro not to touch any of those jerks, that was just pure Luffy, like the way you would expect him to react to something like that. I just love the idea of him not having to prove anything to anyone because he knows who he is, he knows what he believes in, and these guys aren't even worth it anyways. Him and Naruto really stand up there as two of my all-time favorite leads, so it's great to see him finally get the acting he deserves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3