Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akamatsu's J-Comi Site Posts Adult Manga Restricted by Tokyo Law


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tyrenol



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Northern California
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:
But, ummm.....My Wife Is an Elementary Student isn't even hentai!! Laughing

Why should that series even be restricted in the first place?


Because it's tacky and tasteless.

There's a time and a place for everything. And what who does with what manga isn't anybody's business unless they make it a business.

I don't know what goes through the heads of people when they say, "Oh, this story about some sexualized little girl(s) in compromising positions shouldn't be R-rated!" But, as you can see, this type of logic doesn't work on the non-otaku.

Quote:
It hurts profits, makes such materials harder to access, and makes some vendors reluctant to put it in stock....and it's not even pornographic.


So, basically, you're saying "kids should buy borderline kiddie-porn." Nice one. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Gonna have to check this series out now. Sounds like hilarious satire

And c'mon guys, you act like Shinobu didn't get panty shots and fanservice scenes in Love Hina, and y'all liked that series so much given its popularity and foothold in the industry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:


Because it's tacky and tasteless.


Tacky and tasteless isn't a crime.

Quote:
I don't know what goes through the heads of people when they say, "Oh, this story about some sexualized little girl(s) in compromising positions shouldn't be R-rated!" But, as you can see, this type of logic doesn't work on the non-otaku.

It depends on the content. This works content has been misjudged and labeled a rating that isn't accurate to what is depicted.

Quote:

So, basically, you're saying "kids should buy borderline kiddie-porn." Nice one. Cool


No, what is being said is that a non-XXX product should not be relegated to the XXX section in a few stores. Doing so reduces the number of places the product is available for sale. The product could be deemed 18+ and be a restricted sale to minors but making it XXX goes too far. Borderline anything is still not has not crossed the line between legal and illegal though. So borderline xyz is perfectly legal to be purchased, of course I expect you to mix in your moral viewpoint as a reply but try to focus on what's legal/illegal, not your views on right and wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gon*Gon



Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 679
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:


Because it's tacky and tasteless.

I don't know what goes through the heads of people when they say, "Oh, this story about some sexualized little girl(s) in compromising positions shouldn't be R-rated!" But, as you can see, this type of logic doesn't work on the non-otaku.


First...it's MANGA! If you want dull realistic series in a down to earth realistic setting that can easily be replicated with live-actors, watch a live-action drama. If I read something drawn, the creator better take advantage of the fact that she can do whatever she wants with her pencil. This is what made Astarotte's Toy so great. Part of the fun of following such a series is seeing how the mangaka pull such a premise off without breaking the boundary between SFW and NSFW.

Second...have you seen the series for yourself? This is the equivalent of saying Kodomo No Jikan is tacky and tasteless.

Quote:
So, basically, you're saying "kids should buy borderline kiddie-porn." Nice one.


Have you seen this series before? This is judging a book by it's cover.

And my importantly...stuff that isn't porn should not be treated as though they're porn.


Besides...it's not like the type of series being targeted are commonly bought by kids in the first place. They only make it inconvenient for vendors, the artists, and the main customers who bother buying these.
Quote:
Gonna have to check this series out now. Sounds like hilarious satire

Unfortunately this hasn't been picked up yet. A scanlation group has been doing all of this mangaka's works, but haven't reached this one yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tyrenol



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Northern California
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:
Quote:
So, basically, you're saying "kids should buy borderline kiddie-porn." Nice one.


Have you seen this series before? This is judging a book by it's cover.


A long time ago; there was this show that (judging by its cover) looked totally awesome. I think it was "Ichiban Ushiro Dai Maou." But when I saw the show; it came off as yet another depressing, otaku-pandering animu that only looked different because the male lead is overpowered.

So the question I wanna ask: Why are the critics (and other viewers) blamed when it's mainly the fault of the creators for not thinking situations all the way through? Sad

Quote:
This is the equivalent of saying Kodomo No Jikan is tacky and tasteless.


Because it IS tacky and tasteless. You see how this works? (Of course not.)

Quote:
And my importantly...stuff that isn't porn should not be treated as though they're porn.


Well then maybe stuff shouldn't give off the impression that it's porn. But then again, since the target audience is reality-challenged otaku anyway, it would prove to be a bit too difficult.

Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So the question I wanna ask: Why are the critics (and other viewers) blamed when it's mainly the fault of the creators for not thinking situations all the way through? Sad


What is there to think through? If someone wants to make a comic about something, they have the full right to do so. Just because you do not like it does not give you the right to tell them it shouldn't exist, or try to censor it. Everyone has their own views and beliefs, and unfortunately most of them refuse to accept any other even coexisting with their own. Too many 'my way or the highway' attitudes who feel their beliefs are the best, which especially comes up often when American bash Japan for their views on nudity, sex, and so forth. Since, after all, America is a lot more puritan than Japan is, so obviously right off the bat we think our way is the 'right way' and those who differ are heathens who need to be 'corrected' and 'educated'.

Quote:
Because it IS tacky and tasteless. You see how this works? (Of course not.)


Thank God you don't dictate anything about overseeing manga distribution or production. Where anything you personally don't like is given the axe or shunned. I'm glad we live in a world where series like that can be made for anyone to enjoy if they so choose to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tyrenol



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Northern California
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:
First...it's MANGA! If you want dull realistic series in a down to earth realistic setting that can easily be replicated with live-actors, watch a live-action drama. If I read something drawn, the creator better take advantage of the fact that she can do whatever she wants with her pencil. This is what made Astarotte's Toy so great. Part of the fun of following such a series is seeing how the mangaka pull such a premise off without breaking the boundary between SFW and NSFW.


Well, here's the main problem right there.

We all yell 'til we're blue in the face about the need for more imagination and creativity. And the first thing that gets shown? Sexualized little girls. Masturbation Material. And parodies of "what used to be cool back in past generations."

"ISN'T THIS GREAT?! ARE WE NOT CREATIVE / USING OUR IMAGINATION?! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED, RIGHT?!"

"Hell no. / We weren't asking you."

Seriously... There are those of us who want "dull realistic series in a down to earth realistic setting that can easily be replicated with live-actors" in anime form.

In fact, we wanna see more "counter-programming." We want for creators to break away from the same, tired formula of otaku-pandering; to be proved that "the animu industry's means to survive financially" is not "the rules written in stone."

And imagine: Just how much less harsh treatment that manga would've gotten if it DIDN'T feature some loli in a swimsuit and backpack. (There ARE no "li'l gurlz N only dey swimsuits N backpacks" making noise in the US. Why Iz Dat?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tyrenol



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Northern California
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
What is there to think through? If someone wants to make a comic about something, they have the full right to do so. Just because you do not like it does not give you the right to tell them it shouldn't exist, or try to censor it. Everyone has their own views and beliefs, and unfortunately most of them refuse to accept any other even coexisting with their own. Too many 'my way or the highway' attitudes who feel their beliefs are the best, which especially comes up often when American bash Japan for their views on nudity, sex, and so forth. Since, after all, America is a lot more puritan than Japan is, so obviously right off the bat we think our way is the 'right way' and those who differ are heathens who need to be 'corrected' and 'educated'.


Here's a Protip then: People who don't paint targets on themselves usually don't get shot at. Nobody's telling you what you should or shouldn't do. Just; don't complain when you painfully receive new holes.

Quote:
Thank God you don't dictate anything about overseeing manga distribution or production. Where anything you personally don't like is given the axe or shunned.


You should, on the other hand, be thankful for anonymous online distribution. If there were ways to publicly post your name, face, and address to the outside world whenever you download something questionable, you probably wouldn't say what you said at all.

But hey. I think it's great that we have this visible line between "enjoying freedom" and "being an old guy and wanting to have sex with little girls." Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Gon*Gon



Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 679
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
A great deal of known lolicon series are written by women...

Quote:
Just how much less harsh treatment that manga would've gotten if it DIDN'T feature some loli in a swimsuit and backpack. (There ARE no "li'l gurlz N only dey swimsuits N backpacks" making noise in the US. Why Iz Dat?)


If it's not the lolis, it'll be something out. These are conservatives we're talking about, not people.

Also, you'd be surprised with how little stuff actually fits your description...

And why do these things don't exist in the US? Because it's the US. The country that made a controversy over a lousy and brief nip slip...

Quote:
A long time ago; there was this show that (judging by its cover) looked totally awesome. I think it was "Ichiban Ushiro Dai Maou." But when I saw the show; it came off as yet another depressing, otaku-pandering animu that only looked different because the male lead is overpowered.


And you have the right to criticize that show, because you watched it. With the exception to the rushed and phoned in finale, I liked it, but I can accept you not liking the series. But you are in no position to criticize and make false accusations of something you DIDN'T see.


Speaking of this news....I wonder if Akamatsu's works are affected by the law...this law must be especially devastating to his career considering both his most well known series is filled with fanservice of girls below a certain age. I wish him and his site luck. It's certainly a good idea to make viewing the series a thing for premium members only to encourage more people to pay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mikeski



Joined: 24 Sep 2009
Posts: 608
Location: Minneapolis, MN
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Seriously... There are those of us who want "dull realistic series in a down to earth realistic setting that can easily be replicated with live-actors" in anime form.

So, legislation of morality becomes a method to legislate "the creation of thoughtful, quality stories"? I think you... have a very optimistic view of how the creative process works. I'd love it if every anime on my shelf had Haibane Renmei-level writing, but no law is gonna make that happen. Certainly not this one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:


And imagine: Just how much less harsh treatment that manga would've gotten if it DIDN'T feature some loli in a swimsuit and backpack. (There ARE no "li'l gurlz N only dey swimsuits N backpacks" making noise in the US. Why Iz Dat?)


Because with America's crime rate if schools really did hold swimming classes for kids there would be more real cases of child rape.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zanarkand princess



Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Posts: 1484
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh, well yeah. This is definitely the series that's going to be the catalyst for literary freedom. God forbid kids don't get to see that one comic book about the guy lusting after a 12 year old! But in a ~funny~ way you know!

Even worse, mangaka might have to start making comics about 20 year olds having romps with 18 year olds who have been left back 7 grades but luckily didn't drink enough milk so they look young and fit in physically with the rest of their classmates! Or *gasp* actual 18+ women! Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tyrenol



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Northern California
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:


Good for them.

Works like Ranma 1/2 was also done by a woman. I also think she's horrible; along with those women who's works pander to the pedophiles of the world.

Quote:
And you have the right to criticize that show, because you watched it. With the exception to the rushed and phoned in finale, I liked it, but I can accept you not liking the series. But you are in no position to criticize and make false accusations of something you DIDN'T see.


Oh I'm sorry. I'm suppose to be stupid. Just like the people behind Dai Maou, the people behind "My Wife Is an Elementary Student," and people like them assumed that I should be. Cool

And thank you for missing my point: People are not stupid. They're not gonna pick up some book because you say so. And especially if it's gonna have some sexualized little girl on the cover.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tyrenol



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Northern California
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Oh, well yeah. This is definitely the series that's going to be the catalyst for literary freedom. God forbid kids don't get to see that one comic book about the guy lusting after a 12 year old! But in a ~funny~ way you know!

Even worse, mangaka might have to start making comics about 20 year olds having romps with 18 year olds who have been left back 7 grades but luckily didn't drink enough milk so they look young and fit in physically with the rest of their classmates! Or *gasp* actual 18+ women! Rolling Eyes


I read this manga about a 10 year old teacher, and the lot of (mainly) 14 year old girls he had to teach... Oh Wait! THAT'S Matsuken's NEGIMA!! Laughing

I don't get what the problem is here? "Romps between people whose time gap is 2 years?" Since when did it, all the sudden, become a "bad thing to do?"

Or is the obvious ultimately true and the audience for the pedo-crap are "social caterpillars who (either by choice or circumstances) refuse to become moths and butterflies like the rest of us?"

Idea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
asimpson2006



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3151
Location: USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
wall of text


Just because someone reads lolicon material does not mean they like little girls in real life. I have read my share of lolicon manga and some h manga and I can tell you for a fact that I am have no interest in prepubescent children at all in real life.

So by your logical it should be terrible if someone creates a manga that panders to those who like cougars?

I guess by your logical that if I play a violent video game and I going go and start shooting up stuff in the real world.

*puts .02 on the table*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group