• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Revolutionary Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Those are nice shelves though in the shelf obsessed. Every special edition of Samurai 7, that must have cost a pretty penny. Of course I've been buying every SE of Eureka 7 so far, though I honestly wasn't expecting them to have an SE with nearly every single volume. Thought it'd be more like every other one.

You can find the SEs of Samurai 7 pretty cheap now. I'm quite baffled as to what Bandai is doing with the SEs of E7, though. There's way too many artboxes to fit all the discs, aren't there? I mean, yeah, they're pretty and stuff, but seriously...
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
You can find the SEs of Samurai 7 pretty cheap now. I'm quite baffled as to what Bandai is doing with the SEs of E7, though. There's way too many artboxes to fit all the discs, aren't there? I mean, yeah, they're pretty and stuff, but seriously...

Hah, we bought those at full price. Those boxes were expensive. o.O

For Eureka, all the box is is really a sleeve covering a tshirt, manga, cd, disc, and whatnot. So there's really only 2 artboxes to hold the whole series, one with the first disc and one with the 7th disc, I believe. The two boxes on the top of the bookshelf on the left are the two E7 boxes.

There's more DVD boxsets behind all the S7 boxes, but they're doublestacked. And we've added to the collection since these pics were taken, hehe. I'll have to post some updated pics if I get the chance.
Foaming Foamer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Yes Kurau is DEFINITELY shelf-worthy, it's brilliant! Very Happy
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Ceredonia wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:

Hah, we bought those at full price. Those boxes were expensive. o.O

For Eureka, all the box is is really a sleeve covering a tshirt, manga, cd, disc, and whatnot. So there's really only 2 artboxes to hold the whole series, one with the first disc and one with the 7th disc, I believe. The two boxes on the top of the bookshelf on the left are the two E7 boxes.

There's more DVD boxsets behind all the S7 boxes, but they're doublestacked. And we've added to the collection since these pics were taken, hehe. I'll have to post some updated pics if I get the chance.

Oh, okay.

Also, did those neat Ghost in the Shell tins come with the Special Editions of those DVDs?

EDIT: Never mind, looked it up. Would have bought them if they'd still been in print when I was buying those DVDs... Sad
maichips

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo-san, thank you for telling us that Kurau vol. 2 and 3 are good! I've seen a few reviews that say they're not worth it, and I grew wary of buying them. But I trust your judgment more. So again, thank you.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
maichips wrote:
Bamboo-san, thank you for telling us that Kurau vol. 2 and 3 are good! I've seen a few reviews that say they're not worth it, and I grew wary of buying them. But I trust your judgment more. So again, thank you.

As was said before, if you liked the opening couple of episodes, you'll probably continue to enjoy the series. I liked it a lot, too, if that counts for anything.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
It's a relief. Liking a sociopathic pathological liar with the morals of Machiaveli isn't easy. Wink
I think Machiavelli was far more noble than he's often given credit for. Wink

Glass Fleet sounds like Code Geass gone wrong for more for some reason. In fact, it sounds exactly like one of those Gonzo shows that sound really epic in the synopsis; so epic that you'd know right away it'll be underwhelming. Confused

Although I do admit that I'm now developing a certain curiosity about Princess Princess - -"
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:37 am Reply with quote
I'm liking Kurau the more I see of it. It's one of the few good titles our TANUK is showing at the moment, that either I haven't seen yet, or don't care to anyway. I can see that this show is ripe for the yuri slash fanatics, but as long as the inuendo and fanservice stay well out of the way this could see a birth on my shelf.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:03 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I can see that this show is ripe for the yuri slash fanatics, but as long as the inuendo and fanservice stay well out of the way this could see a birth on my shelf.

Now I've only been through the first volume, but I highly doubt that will be an issue. Its completely fanservice free as I recall. Also, their relationship really in no way seems suggestive. It actually deserves a lot of credit in that respect. Unlike so many cases in other Anime where you cant help but find the various supposedly innocent relationships kinda suggestive, in this case it just seems totally normal. Sort of sisterly.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm liking Kurau the more I see of it. It's one of the few good titles our TANUK is showing at the moment, that either I haven't seen yet, or don't care to anyway. I can see that this show is ripe for the yuri slash fanatics, but as long as the inuendo and fanservice stay well out of the way this could see a birth on my shelf.
In my opinion, this anime's story is essentially an exploration "soul mate" concept that doesn't involve people pushing their mucus-covered lips onto each other in the cargo hold. [/obscure quotation]

It's like Turk and J.D. from Scrubs singing "Guy Love" with all their manly hearts, except they're girls. Fanservice free, except for the fact that Christmas looks really cute, which is probably a male chauvinist in me saying so anyway.

In other words, this is something that is as PG as anime gets.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Peach Girl's probably one of the most boring anime I've ever seen. I can't stand Momo. This has never really happened to me before but right now, I have volumes 1 to 3 of the peach girl series, yet I've only seen the 1st one. The dub is horrible. Quality's low. Somehow I have to try and watch the 2 and 3rd dvds to see how it goes. I can't believe I bought the Special edition for this anime.
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
"The Village Vidiot"!!?

That is the best store name I have ever heard. Kudos to who ever came up with it! Anime hyper I'd check it out if I were driving by. The name alone...s~o made me laugh! Anime hyper
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Ceredonia wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:

Yes, but box addictions are nothing if not vicious, and it was still a fairly good option for getting both the video & magna before they jacked prices in the second half. Also, whether a series artbox or little more than a sleeve, a box is a box. Either way, I though Bandai had learned their lesson and gone the postcard route, leaving no real excuse for so many oversized boxes (at least none are metal.)

I was quite shocked when they liquidated the Samurai 7 LEs so soon after release, but the worry about it signaling a weak series wasn't enough to stop me. Knowing just how incredibly tall they were might have though, almost the complete opposite of the Irresponsible Captain Taylor sets that are so much shorter, but still too tall to stack (stacked on sides takes the same amount of space.) So instead they join .//Hack/Sign and Negima in the side-shelved gang (though I suspect two more will join them once I get around to the next batch.)

Richard J. wrote:
Ah, Bamboo, are you starting to think better of Sae? I can see why there are so many Kairi fans, but for reasons I still can't fully articulate, I really do adore Sae. She's even starting to act semi-decent at this point!

It's a relief. Liking a sociopathic pathological liar with the morals of Machiaveli isn't easy. Wink

Ends on a note that makes me actually consider the series for once, but villians suddenly deciding to go good is one of my biggest pet peeves, so I guess it ends up back on the "might watch if in the room while it is running" pile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2