• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animators, Directors Establish First Union

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
What a detailed and well-sourced article on an important subject. Kudos.
jakeass2008

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE IT!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I predict a massive increase in Korean outsourcing.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow - my heart goes out to these people - they should include web links at the ends of their shows saying "if you liked this episode, please donate what you can so we can buy instant ramen for all to celebrate with"
Rawler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
With all of the payment and hourly constraints in the animation industry, an animator would have to really love and value their job in order to make a career of it. Hence their work would be quality (quality being equated to an accurate representation of what the animator wants to see). I hope they still produce quality.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote
How much do the people that come up with the designs and such make...?

Also, very good work on the article. Probably one of the best I've read on this site so far. (Also better than a lot of the articles I read on major news sites, which can actually suck pretty bad sometimes.)
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
I predict a massive increase in Korean outsourcing.

It's very possible. Unfortunately, when the amount allotted for paying salaries increases, the quality level may not become lower, but the quantity will almost assuredly drop.

If studios don't resort to outsourcing a higher amount of animation, I predict a lower output than recent years.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
1 million yen (10'000$) production cost for 1 tv episode? I think that's a mistake, it's hardly realistic. The usual number I read on the internet and hear elswhere for 1 episode of an average late night show is 8-10 million yen (80'000-100'000$).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I am normally against unions(mostly because of the way there run in the US, overseas may be a different matter but I wouldn't know very much about the inner workings of them), but in this case I say good for them. If the salary figures quoted are in fact correct, then the income of these animators is insanely low. Not to mention a lot of this will take place in big cities where the cost of life is even higher than normal. So again good for them, maybe now they will start earning something that is worth there work, and maybe it will wake some big heads up.

With that said, I think a lot of these people will now find themselves out of work all together. My advice would be to start demands gently rather than not, or they might just find there situation worse than before. But I am sure they have some very smart people helping with how to handle this.

Also, if outsourcing even more work is the final result of all this, I can realistically see a drop in quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
1 million yen (10'000$) production cost for 1 tv episode? I think that's a mistake, it's hardly realistic. The usual number I read on the internet and hear elswhere for 1 episode of an average late night show is 8-10 million yen (80'000-100'000$).

I'm guessing the former is for JUST the animation; the latter, the whole produciton. The smaller number, then, would not include such things as the TV rights to whatever original work it's based on (manga, game, etc...), music, advertising or other things. It also might not include voice actors or any audio work.

I'm quite sure the quantity of anime might go down, but given some of the stuff that's been made in the last few years, that might not be such a bad thing. There has been a definite trend of more and cheaper lately, pandering to smaller and smaller fanbases and retreading a lot of the same concepts. If I'm reading this right, and that is what this means, reigning that in might be not just a good thing, but essential.

Mind you, this is all theory.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
So BV charges that much for their dvds, and the animators still get screwed?!
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Swissman wrote:

I'm guessing the former is for JUST the animation; the latter, the whole produciton. The smaller number, then, would not include such things as the TV rights to whatever original work it's based on (manga, game, etc...), music, advertising or other things. It also might not include voice actors or any audio work.

Sounds good. Here's a pdf-file in japanese explaining the anime business in 2003. Most interesting here is page 5 which explains the actual production, financing and cost. Production of an episode is between 10-13 mio. Yen and it's used for animation, background/color, shooting/editing and voice acting/sound effects (strangely, music is not listed here).
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I would personally love to meet that person who said "Keep The Prices Of Anime Down." A bit of re-education is in order here.

Now, on a side note; concerning the potential selling of the Yukikaze boxset in the US, ain't 26000 yen (around $200) too high for a good night's sleep? Laughing
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This was an interesting read, but I have to say that I'm not 100% convinced that this article is accurate. There seem to be numerous mathematical inconsistencies with the figures which were given. For example, early in the article it states that "The typical animator draws 200 sheets of key animation frames every month for several tens of thousands of yen (about several hundred United States dollars) with no vacation, social security, or retirement plan." I take this to mean that the vast majority of animators only make $300 a month. Not only is that totally unfeasible to live off of (unless you live in a third world country), but those numbers directly contradict almost all the numbers given later in the article.

I'm not going to believe an article which contains numerous inconsistencies within itself.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm worried with this news. If Japanese animators get better salaries, animation quality will drop because producers will use less animators and they will use young people without experience but cheaper than old animators. The same thing happen during the golden age of American animation. Before WWII, Americans made movies like Pinocchio, this movie is an achievement in animation quality. But, after WWII, animators went to strike and they asked for better salaries; furthemore, American animation never produce something like the golden age. It's sad but anime is expensive, if become more expensive, it will have two options: there will be less animes or animation quality will drop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4