• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Under Pressure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

That term yellow journalism. I never heard of that.

I pray that's sarcasm, or it's yet another reason to worry about the next generation....

& as for Tweedle Dee & Twiddle Dum, putting your view up on the net for whoever to view hardly constitutes a
Quote:
a discussion amongst close friends
, particularly when one comments their download is 430. That's public speaking. There are things you say to your personal friends & things you don't which our society seems to have forgotten. The whole Springer "Everything is public".

If Zac were a movie star or the like, he'd probably expect to have no private life (although many stars have on-going battles with tabloids over their right to enjoy a quiet dinner without having 50 pictures taken). As it is, his "job" is his opinion & turning a private conversation into "ANN'S Zac said" is totally wrong. His official stance & his personal stance don't have to agree at all.

I'm sure you have bright futures in the tabloid press awaiting you because your behavior matches theirs completely.
Hiraleth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
CrazyCanuck wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
..... You don't live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada do you? A similar thing happened in one of our anime clubs.

I do... Which of the two clubs was it?

...There's three clubs.

And it was JAAW at the University of Winnipeg.

Heh, I live in Winnipeg. When did that happen? What actually happened?

In fact, I know who you are, from other forums. Smile But I go by a different username.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I'm sure you have bright futures in the tabloid press awaiting you because your behavior matches theirs completely.

C'mon folks, don't dogpile on these guys. They spoke sincerely, they obviously get it, so let's just move on.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

C'mon folks, don't dogpile on these guys. They spoke sincerely, they obviously get it, so let's just move on.

I thought you choked the life out of all who oppsed you.... Wink

But really, this is the first time i've really thought about podcasting-besides that guess the show we have thing Geneon did. (how ironic)

I wonder if there are any vlogs on anime- I haven't seen too many on youtube but I haven't really looked outside the top 10 lists. Anyone have anyone they reconmend?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MizzConcepcion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Another great article.

That bit about the podcast of your little friendly debate really sucks though. I mean how rude is that? It just really irks me.

Also, I agree completely on what Stephen Bell said. It basically summarizes all the good and bads of an anime fan.

Lastly, all hail king bunny Surprised
nishime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

& as for Tweedle Dee & Twiddle Dum, putting your view up on the net for whoever to view hardly constitutes a
Quote:
a discussion amongst close friends
, particularly when one comments their download is 430. That's public speaking. There are things you say to your personal friends & things you don't which our society seems to have forgotten. The whole Springer "Everything is public".

Even without Jerry Springer's influence, I think it might have happened anyway. For instance, people will say things on cell phones, in public, where at least 10 people can hear, and think it's private between them and the person on the other side of the phone, and it's not. But the unintended audience mostly doesn't care, so it doesn't matter.

People tend to forget that they reach more people than they think they reach. People picking their noses in their cars seem to think they're in private, when everyone can see (unless they've got heavily tinted windows) them, and people who create podcasts for a small audience forget that when they make them available for download, everyone and their lawyer who looks for podcasts can listen to them too. Like MySpace. You may make a page intended just for you and your 50 friends, but your future employer can get some odd ideas about your work ethic from viewing it.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen podcasts since I don't have an I-Pod Embarassed ,
even then, when it comes to alot of reviews for anime, games, movies, I always will have some kind of reservations about them, but still take note on what was the + or - to the reviewer.

So far for me, 3 out of 5 reviews I've seen/read on here or elsewhere have proven helpful to where I've actually enjoyed some of their recommendations on average.

It's always been just a matter of one's taste when it comes to either listening to what one says or to just ignore and go their own way.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
CrazyCanuck wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
..... You don't live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada do you? A similar thing happened in one of our anime clubs.

I do... Which of the two clubs was it?

...There's three clubs.

And it was JAAW at the University of Winnipeg.

Right. I knew I'd missed one. Too many people are in more then one of them. Enough so that the lines between them blur. I can recall a few people who would have done that sort of thing back when I attended club stuff regularly.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
GTO Neko wrote:
I haven't seen podcasts since I don't have an I-Pod Embarassed ,

Podcasts and iPods are two different things. You don't need an ipod for podcasts nor are all of them video. In this case audio podcasts are being talked about. They're just mp3 files so you can use any media player or device to play them. Ditto for video podcasts.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

That term yellow journalism. I never heard of that.

I pray that's sarcasm, or it's yet another reason to worry about the next generation....

From wiki (which is actually pretty accurate in this case)

Quote:
Yellow journalism is a pejorative reference to journalism that features scandal-mongering, sensationalism, jingoism or other unethical or unprofessional practices by news media organizations or journalists. It has been loosely defined as "not quite libel".

So basically supermarket tabloids, or what CNN/MSNBC/FOX can be on their bad days.

Where it gets the name is sometimes confusing, but the story I remember from school was that the sensationalist newspapers of the time were printed on cheap, yellow paper.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
I imagine most people are probably familiar with the concept, just not the term. No reason to lose faith in the younger generation over that Wink
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I had never heard of the term but am certainly familiar with the concept as it's something I complain about quite often. One of the local newspapers is really bad about it, unfortunately it's also the most popular newspaper in the state. They're really good though about presuming guilt and conveniently forgetting about a story when it turns out they were wrong and they really really love to blow everything out of proportion from front page news to sports to the variety section.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Yeah, I had never heard of the term but am certainly familiar with the concept as it's something I complain about quite often. One of the local newspapers is really bad about it, unfortunately it's also the most popular newspaper in the state. They're really good though about presuming guilt and conveniently forgetting about a story when it turns out they were wrong and they really really love to blow everything out of proportion from front page news to sports to the variety section.

What do you think gets ratings and readers? One of the 2 local papers here does the same thing and wouldn't you know it, it out sells the other. Sensationalism sells, be it news or podcasts or whatever. Just my opinion mind you.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
jetz wrote:
Anime Career: Since I’m having trouble with college right now (not sure if I should be taking law or not) I thought of the things I like doing and how I should make a living out of that. One of my major hobbies right now is watching anime, so I thought that maybe I should pick a career that will allow me to enjoy anime, but then I thought I wouldn’t make enough money to cover living expenses. After reading this week’s column, I think I should reconsider that, since Answerman’s reply gave me ideas.

Make sure you have a back-up plan or two. Those jobs undoubtedly have many applicants, so competition will be very high. Also, be prepared to not like anime nearly as much after you start working with it for a living.

Yeah I have a back up plan set Very Happy I know a lot of people who are doing anime-related jobs, and they still love anime – they are involved in running a local anime web site, and local anime magazines (I think). They also have other jobs.

belligerent wrote:
Quote:
Anime Career: Since I’m having trouble with college right now (not sure if I should be taking law or not) I thought of the things I like doing and how I should make a living out of that. One of my major hobbies right now is watching anime, so I thought that maybe I should pick a career that will allow me to enjoy anime, but then I thought I wouldn’t make enough money to cover living expenses. After reading this week’s column, I think I should reconsider that, since Answerman’s reply gave me ideas.

Do something that will make you money enough to afford a decent living, not just something anime-related. These two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but the odds of somebody getting into an anime-related career that makes them money, just because they like watching anime, are pretty slim. Think about how many other people enjoy watching anime. Now think about how many of those people are going to apply when a money position pops up. Let's say you're a qualified applicant...and then let's say that 100 other people are also qualified. Not lottery odds, but not exactly odds I'd bet on.

Keep at the college thing. If you're interested in breaking into an industry, guide (or shove) your hobby along those lines...WHILE you are in college for a job to make you money in case your anime industry dreams don't work out. Want to be a writer? Start a blog. Start submitting to writing contests. Want to be an artist? Start a webcomic, etc. Want to be a voice actor? Start stage acting in community or college stuff and start working your way up.

These things will not get you overnight success, but they will get you experience, which is one thing employers are looking at and can give you the edge over that other guy. Not only does it say that you have experience in what you're trying to get hired for, but it also tells prospective employers that you're serious about something.

Also remember that there's more to the industry than just reviewing things. Anime companies need lawyers, for example, to go after all the people who are downloading stuff illegally... Maybe it isn't "being paid to watch anime" but lots of people want that job and you'll have to fight them for it. It could happen; it also couldn't. The thing is to prepare yourself for either outcome.

I actually have a blog, and I use it to publish my amateur anime reviews. Only a few people know about it, but more people have seen my reviews. A lot of them like my work, but I think I still need to improve.

A lawyer for anime companies – that’s actually interesting. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
No, I do sort of worry. My teen tells me all the time she's familiar with stuff her friends have never heard of (One friend (16 yrs old)had never seen any of the Back to the Future movies which seems so much a cultural ref of its day. I mean, that whole line about not needing roads or time travel in a DeLorian. Kangaroo Court's another no one seems to know)

The cell phone & nose thing is just stupidity. People are so used to having these conversations in the privacy of their home, that it's natural to consider it ok wherever, but it is like at work. There are certain conversations one doesn't have at work, but we've all met people who do have them.

But the whole point of having a podcast is to get people to view it or you'd not make it accessable to the world at large. If you're so excited you got XXX downloads for this ep verses 20 less for the last, you know on some level total strangers are accessing this stuff. You know this isn't a private conversation. It's like all those YouTube videos-they are there with the number of views being tallied so the people putting them us suddenly have an audience they would never had had at their disposal.

At my work, there's the stuff you shout over the cubicle wall, & the stuff you get up & say very quietly to the person in the next cubicle. If it's something you'd whisper if the person were on the other side of the room, then it's not public information.

But there would hopefully be a dif between people working on getting into the industry(if not anime, than entertainment) vs Joe Anime Ranter giving his/her opinion. There's a reason ANN works to verify information before they post it vs Rumours R Us blogs--they are trying to preserve their reputation as the net's most trusted source of anime information. But the public at a certain level doesn't discern that dif--there are poll which regularly indicate a certain portion of the population think the Editorial page is fact & not simple opinion. Most of us here probably care about the dif, but trickle down further to the people who regularly read/view those other sources who buy that or this ranter's views & see that as how news is presented, tabloid is ok because everyone does it. It's what Zac was saying about Gokuwhoever(584?)-no need to retract. My teen is always correcting rumors her friends throw at her, & she has her sources that sometimes have the info before I see it here because they don't wait to confirm it before spreading it & sometimes they're right.

Sadly, yellow journalism isn't likely to go away because it has become accepted. Many seem to believe it over responsible journalism because it is more juicy/fun/exciting/interesting/titilating.

But yeah, don't forget all those little websites are being scrutinized by personel departments such as my own job commenting someone with a MySpace using the slang "ho" didn't get hired. Someone looking to hire you in the future just might have seen your site so the net isn't quite as anonymous as people think. You may get your big shot at getting hired by some respectable journalism source shot down if they fear someone could pick apart your work by pointing to where you've been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5