• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Under Pressure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Hiraleth wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
CrazyCanuck wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
..... You don't live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada do you? A similar thing happened in one of our anime clubs.

I do... Which of the two clubs was it?

...There's three clubs.

And it was JAAW at the University of Winnipeg.

Heh, I live in Winnipeg. When did that happen? What actually happened?

In fact, I know who you are, from other forums. Smile But I go by a different username.

It happened a while ago, back when JAAW wasn't completely filled with high schoolers. I'm pretty sure it was this Chris guy. He sold stolen manga as well. He came with a bag of donuts. I doubt he got them legally.

And I usually go by Chrno or Chrno the Sinner on the Ai Kon boards and WAC boards respectively. I'm rather infamous on the former. I go by who_is_friend on the Zannen.ca and HinamizawaClub boards, and I don't know which one I'm on at the A*n*m*S*k* boards, but I'm one of the two.
irishninja

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Yeah I have a back up plan set Very Happy I know a lot of people who are doing anime-related jobs, and they still love anime – they are involved in running a local anime web site, and local anime magazines (I think). They also have other jobs.

Excellent. Smile You're already at least two steps ahead of most other people who "want to work in the anime field." (And to be fair, it's not just anime, it's also games and other hobbies.)

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Smile
Hiraleth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:

It happened a while ago, back when JAAW wasn't completely filled with high schoolers. I'm pretty sure it was this Chris guy. He sold stolen manga as well. He came with a bag of donuts. I doubt he got them legally.

And I usually go by Chrno or Chrno the Sinner on the Ai Kon boards and WAC boards respectively. I'm rather infamous on the former. I go by who_is_friend on the Zannen.ca and HinamizawaClub boards, and I don't know which one I'm on at the A*n*m*S*k* boards, but I'm one of the two.

Yes, I know you from the Ai-Kon boards. I'm Shugo, BTW. Smile

Does this Chris guy still go to JAAW? I have to wonder if anyone would have bought any. Confused
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

I'm sure you have bright futures in the tabloid press awaiting you because your behavior matches theirs completely.

C'mon folks, don't dogpile on these guys. They spoke sincerely, they obviously get it, so let's just move on.

I didn't realize a dark lord of the Sith could be so magnanimous! I definitely give the parties involved credit for openly confessing there mistake so publicly. We rarely get that from mainstream print/media. I mean, when was the last time you saw a correction/retraction printed on the same page the original story appeared? Corrections and/or retractions of stories that splashed all over page one usually come long after everyone has forgotten the story, and gets buried so deep in the paper that nobody sees it anyway!

Seriously though Zac, I gotta say the new avatar rocks!
Futagi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You don't live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada do you? A similar thing happened in one of our anime clubs.

Nope, Florida, actually. We later named the kid "Donuts".
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
FroglarTBGE wrote:
Quote:
I would like to take this moment to point fingers at my co-host. For our Otakon 2007 show I would have simply mentioned that we met Zac at the party and had a pleasant conversation, but my boyfriend/cohost insisted on dedicating an entire show to responding to Zac's bourbon-fueled opinions about art and AMVs, with no way for Zac to respond or defend himself. Only a total coward would do such a thing, and only his idiot girlfriend would dutifully edit such a hackneyed show and post online months later.

I am the aforementioned co-host, and I *am* a coward. I also have a chip on my shoulder.

I did exactly what Answerman claims: I took something he said to me at a party, off the record, included it in my own words on a podcast, without his prior knowledge and gave him no direct opportunity to respond. All of these things are a big no-no, and I can't make any excuses. What little trust I may have earned in that meeting I betrayed, and I did it in what is essentially now the most public forum in existence (by which I mean the internet, of course, not our show, which has a very small listenership... and will hopefully not spike in the near future because of this week's column).

The fact of the matter is that I never considered that what went on our podcast, which I would compare to a discussion amongst close friends, was actually essentially being broadcast in a public forum. I'm sorry for any discomfort we may have caused Zac, who is a professional and whose reputation matters. It was certainly not our intention to do anything more than put out an interesting, entertaining show.

Their attitude seems rather cavalier. "I didn't think before I acted"? "I buckled to peer pressure"? "We're just a couple of film students"? If Zac hadn't made a fuss, would they have apologized or felt they did wrong? They comment they knew how to contact him to get permission so they could have made their apology thru those routes. Given the chance to do this again, would they plaster someone all over their podcast? Say, a VA they manage to corner at a con? Anything's ok in the name of making an interesting show?

That's the problem with trust--once one does something to lose it, it's almost impossible to restore. Zac will likely be more careful in the future, so that freedom in his life has possibly been destroyed. If not after this incident, than should it occur again will he think twice before drinking with "fellow journalists"? Back when I attended Shadowcon ages ago, they invited one actress who had had several bad fan experiences--she was the baddie on the title & some fans, unable to separate reality from the show had attacked her when the show was on so the con asked all the attendees be on their best behavior so she would be at ease.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
Jeez, stop busting the poor guys balls. At this point you're really just saying that you don't believe he's sorry. Fine. They've said their piece and you can think what you will but drop it already.
NightmareSoul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
This is probably a stupid question, but I looked where it seemed logical to find the answer and did not find it, so here goes, where does one send questions for Zac's perusal and hopeful answer ? Is there a specific Email address to write to him at that's displayed somewhere that I over looked or is it to just be asked on the forums for future reference ?

Thanks in Advance

NightmareSoul
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
It's in the column... or I thought it was. I didn't see it in this weeks unless I missed it in my quick scroll through. After another more thorough look, I still didn't see it. I think Zac forgot to put it in there this week, but its normally there.

Okay, I had to back about a month to get it, but here it is:
[email protected]
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to take some time to respond to this latest edition of Hey, Answerman. Normally, I enjoy the article but this one rubbed me the wrong way sadly.

With your first question, I felt as though it was honest and direct but a little down on the little guy commentator. What you had to say regarding how advertisers have little to nothing to do with how a news organization runs. Thats fine and good, but it also seems as though you think that there is no accountability to the smaller blogger or podcaster. This is not true.

While there is no management structure or direct lash back form that bloggers 'organization' if any, there is a lash back from the anime fan community at large. Mainly if this guy goes on to get something wrong or say something out of line then there will be less people who will read what this person has to say until there is practically no one listening to what they have to say.

If you are a fan posting fan based content then you want as many people to be reading your content in the first place and that is going to be done by getting facts straight and providing insightful and entertaining commentary or debate on a topic, if you're not then you're wasting money or time placing up content, end of story.

Second was your response a question on podcasting. As a podcaster, I was a little annoyed that there are people who are making podcasts simply for free registration into a convention. This goes back to the earlier comment about how if you're not providing good content for people to enjoy then make room for people who are serious and bring a great deal of entertaining content to the table. Its people like this who make it hard for those of us who work hard with making enjoyable content promote and enjoy podcasting. As a side note, I recorded an episode of my podcast AT Anime Boston 2007, my self and the other three members of my panel paid in full to get in. We were given no special treatment whatsoever.

While I somewhat agree with the majority of what you had to say for what makes a good podcast, I was a tad discouraged that you stated that there are so many anime podcasts that anyone starting one would just add to white noise. I believe the opposite, there are not really a great number of anime podacsts. In comparison to gaming, sports and movies.. anime really has a small amount of podcasts available to it.

However, I do agree with the point in which you state that there are sadly ones that fall into bad habits such as lack of structure, people yelling over each other when they are providing actual debate and substance to their program and that there is a lot of 'inside baseball' within podcasts. Sadly this is how small podcasts are throughout the world of podcasting, not just anime. I also agree with those who have erratic releases of their content(my show is just as guilty as anyone else with this) and that provides less of a reason to come back and listen again since you won't know when you'll receive a new episode.

I'm also sorry to hear you got suckered into being interviewed. There are a lot of legal ramifications those podcasters did to you and anyone who honestly looked into the subject before starting a podcast should know that consent is everything.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to more editions of your column.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:45 am Reply with quote
I emailed Zac about the column the other day. I do a podcast, but I work *hard*. I've gotten in free to a couple cons (AUSA, AMA) with press access, but that's not something I actively expect to get, and I work hard, running around like a madman once I've got it. At Otakon, I got press in 06 and 07, but wasn't comped, no biggie. And still worked my tail off (though got comped through doing a couple panels).

I try to maintain some kind of structure to my show, some kind of professionalism. I *try* to bleep out profanities, I try to keep the show on topic. I try to get something up every two weeks at the latest or so (weekly being ideal), barring any unforeseen circumstances, or con shows I need to edit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5