• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2007 Anime Season Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
domino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
The ratio of schoolgirl moe shows this season to other types of shows is downright depressing.
I immediately turn my back on any show that has a 90%+ cast of bishoujo, so every new season of anime gets even more depressing than the last.
The whole "moe" movement just seems to be suffocating to people like me who can't stand that kind of art style.

I'll just happily sit back and watch Neuro (and only Neuro) this season, thanks. Madhouse animation + Koyasu Takehito + rampant demonic abuse = everyone's a winner! (except poor Yako)
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
UGH. WAY too many ren-ai anime this season. Spring and even summer season were a lot better.

The guide didn't cover much, so it looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for reviews. For now, I'm definitely watching Shion no Ou, and I might pick up Gundam 00 (not a huge Gundam fan, so I expect to drop it in a couple weeks). I've seen a little of Kaiji and Bamboo Blade, and I expect to keep the former and eventually drop the latter.
FlavorOfSand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading these seasonal reviews for a while, and I was always wondering by what means the staff members were viewing the series. But I guess it's fansubs, which makes sense, since it would be difficult to rustle up that many reviewers fluent in Japanese. My guess is that using a single episode for the purpose of providing an informative review falls under fair use?
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
FlavorOfSand wrote:
I've been reading these seasonal reviews for a while, and I was always wondering by what means the staff members were viewing the series. But I guess it's fansubs, which makes sense, since it would be difficult to rustle up that many reviewers fluent in Japanese. My guess is that using a single episode for the purpose of providing an informative review falls under fair use?

Lets not get into a fansub discussion ;.;
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
My biggest disappointment this season has actually been with Genshiken 2, for all the wrong reasons. This series has been far too long in coming, and that's actually it's greatest weakness. It's a near flawless adaptation of the manga...which has been released by Del Rey for some time. Fans of the manga will probably find the anime quite boring.

Myself ; Yourself is a bit underwhelming, if you're not looking deeply enough into it. It's important to recall what series previously held the timeslot, School Days. I've read (and participated in) weeks long discussions about the characters of School Days, looking for the smallest of hints into their characters in the (initially) underwhelming first episodes. When you keep an eye out for the subtle hints and side glances in the first episode, Myself ; Yourself has a lot more to offer than a standard clichéd romance series. A great deal of detail is alluded to, but goes unsaid in the first episode. Even more is hinted at in the strange behavior of the characters, from Nanaka's personality shift to the odd phone calls from Sana's mother. As for Aoi, her voice is painful in the first episode, but she gets a lot better.

Minami-ke is one of the best animated slice of life series I've ever seen, is filled from top to bottom with light humor, and even adds a warning to the beginning of the episodes to not expect too much from it, as it only chronicles the daily lives of the Minami sisters. I do disagree about the sisters. The first was clearly a Kana episode, but Chiaki and Haruka's personalities do shine through, at least a little bit.

Sadly, and I'm sure to Zac's joy, the censorship in Kodomo no Jikan makes it quite unwatchable, the actual content aside.

Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun is another light comedy series, and if you don't expect too much from it, you should be able to get some enjoyment out of it. It's like Girls Bravo, take what you can from it.

As for CLANNAD, I couldn't have put it better myself. If you know anything about who created the concept, and who is animating it, you've already decided whether it's worth your time or not.

There's also Sketchbook full color's. A must for any ARIA fans out there.

Someone mentioned Dragonaut. There's a reason it isn't on this list. If you thought ZOIDS had poorly executed CG, you're in for a surprise. Don't even waste your time with a series this cliche and this poorly produced.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...It is the first fansub I've ever immediately deleted from my hard drive after watching it.

Wow, you'll like mostly anything then, Laughing ?

The first sub I ever deleted was F-Zero: Falcon Densetsu.

Actually, since then, I haven't really downloaded fansubs that much (partly because the show was bad but mostly because the subs were terrible).
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:

Someone mentioned Dragonaut. There's a reason it isn't on this list. If you thought ZOIDS had poorly executed CG, you're in for a surprise. Don't even waste your time with a series this cliche and this poorly produced.

Dunno, I think it was mildy watchable until they introduced the dragons Anime hyper
miji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Out of the shows reviewed, Genshiken 2 is the only one I'm remotely interested in. This season looks disappointing, or maybe the crop of shows written about just aren't my thing.
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Which brings me to Kodomo no Jikan, a series that I, as a male teacher myself, can't let pass without some kind of comment. The censoring issue that Bamboo harped on (and this is the most heavily-censored show I've ever seen in fansubs) didn't bother me anywhere near as much as the actual content. This is actually an extremely well-made series, with good artistry, animation, structuring, and writing, which makes it a great shame that it is also so utterly wrong. Walking in on undressing elementary school girls less than two minutes into the first episode? The language? The panty-flashing as a "reward"? The blackmail attempt? And that finger-sucking scene will live on in anime infamy. What could have been a serious look at premature sexualization of girls is instead looking like the most pedophile-pandering production I've ever seen. It is the first fansub I've ever immediately deleted from my hard drive after watching it.

I was rather surprised by such heavy censoring, since it'll probably drive away what little fanbase there is. Seriously, who the hell thought this up? Most people would be so disturbed by the content that they'd give up after one episode, and anyone that was interested in it would be confounded by the censors. This is one of the worst marketing decisions I've ever seen.

On a related note, I noticed that the first episode of Dokuro-chan 2 was also censored, albeit less severly, in a similar manner. Mind you, Dokuro-chan is nowhere near the level of KNJ, but I hope this isn't becoming a trend.
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Dunno, I think it was mildy watchable until they introduced the dragons

The episode where they actually did that should have been renamed "GO, Go Pokemon!" -_-

Seriously, it reminded me of a budgeted witchblade or fate stay/night til then.

babbo wrote:
Do check it out. I love how kaiji is so much more human (thus far) than the nigh on invincible genius that Akgai was.

Kaiji isn't more human; he just has about one tenth the metaphorical spine that Akagi has. That being said it still looks promising, here's hoping that at some point he's even half as badass as Akagi ^^;;
minakichan wrote:
UGH. WAY too many ren-ai anime this season. Spring and even summer season were a lot better.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

anyhoo...

At this point though my favorites for the season are probably somewhere between Shion no Ou (Seinen Hikago? Yeah, I'll watch), Kaiji, Blue Drop, and Moyshimon.

Biggest disappointment has to be You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle. I was all geared up to watch it, but the complete lack of any substance or humor has even me skipping it. I wasn't even asking for much, but what they threw out there was just pathetic.

Shana II's Deja Vu theme is similarly disappointing. They might not be recycling any animation, but it sure as hell feels like it on some level =\
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
miji wrote:
Out of the shows reviewed, Genshiken 2 is the only one I'm remotely interested in. This season looks disappointing, or maybe the crop of shows written about just aren't my thing.

I'm way interested in Genshiken and have been looking forward to it for some time. You can tell by my friggin' avatar LOL.

Anyway it does have small changes from the manga. Like in episode 2 they added a montage of spoiler[Sasahara and Kugayama planning on the manga. It shows the process and mistakes that brought them into their predicament. ] They also added little things here and there and the dialogue is slightly different but that just might be the fansub. Man....I'm a Genshiken fangirl. Surprised People who have been reading the manga would still be entertained.

I wish they could've mixed the OVA episodes with the new season for those who had not seen them. Plus the new introduction is somewhat....retro...nostalgic....greatness. I'll just say I love it so much!

anyway I'm definitely going to watch Gundam 00. The comparison of Gundam Wing updated sold me. Everything else I'm on the fence on but I'll try them just for first impressions.
Naru2099

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Gundam 00 looks like it will be good. It is pretty confusing in the beginning and I'm hoping to be cleared of it in Ep. 2. I think this appealed to me much more because of the fact I've never liked Seed with it's story and character design.

Genshiken 2 is so forth coming. It looks great, but unfortunately, without having watched the OVAs, some may not know what goes on. If you decide to watch, go through the manga some to pick up where the anime left off.

Clannad and Kimikiss I've enjoyed so far, but I still have no real verdict on it. Clannad just seems too predictable as to where Kimikiss leaves me scratching my head about what's gonna happen. I'm gonna keep watching.

I'd like to thank those talking about Blue Drop. I was thinking this was gonna be a disappointment with the little I knew about it, but I might actually check it out now.

And to Kodomo no Jikan. I am a fan of the series. To be honest, the animation was done very well which surprised me considering it was dropped twice. I really don't recommend to anyone to watch it. I feel the first episode was pretty mild to what comes up later throughout the story and I don't see how the series will make it through the season without it be a lot of filler because of how censored it will become. Again, I recommend that a lot of people should avoid this. Also as someone said, I feel really bad for Zac.
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

Kaiji isn't more human; he just has about one tenth the metaphorical spine that Akagi has. That being said it still looks promising, here's hoping that at some point he's even half as badass as Akagi ^^;;

which thus makes him more human. There's no way in hell a fourteen (was it fifteen? Same difference) year old kid could pull off what akagi did >.>
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Steel Angel wrote:
Also, it's a wonder you could even stomach something that bad, basically forced to watch it.

Probably should clarify that we nearly always get to pick the titles ourselves that we review for these projects; Bamboo apparently decided she was enough of a glutton for punishment to volunteer for this one. (i.e. Kodomo no Jikan) I only watched it myself because I was curious to see if the content was really as severe as rumored.

And someone else was saying it actually gets worse after this point? Ugh.

therealssjlink wrote:
Key wrote:

...It is the first fansub I've ever immediately deleted from my hard drive after watching it.

Wow, you'll like mostly anything then, Laughing ?

I take your point, but I have never before deleted a fansub because I felt it was polluting my computer by its very presence. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Weak.

Its almost all either Harem, Moe, Romance, or Comedy. What about those of us who crave action, fighting and graphic violence?

Im very lukewarm on Gundam so far. I sure hope it shapes up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14