• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Cat Fight

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gendo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Loving the Shelf Life articles and loving the Sunset Rubdown reference. Very Happy It's always nice to see that some anime fans have good taste in music. Watching AMVs at cons usually depresses me because of their choice in music, I don't need to name names.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As upset as I am about Geneon canceling titles like Saiunkoku

Is this confirmed. This info must have come out during my vacation in Ireland. Seems like I missed a lot. Say it isn't so....
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, they effectively canceled everything after November 6th, but its still unclear what is going to happen to the company, so its possible that at least some of Geneon's titles will still be released since they haven't completely closed up shop yet.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I got my FMA set! Can't wait for the second one to come out. I already have it preordered along with Mass Effect. =D
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Well, they effectively canceled everything after November 6th, but its still unclear what is going to happen to the company, so its possible that at least some of Geneon's titles will still be released since they haven't completely closed up shop yet.

At least Bl:Second Barrage is being dubbed for sure. Just a matter of who/when releases it.

As for Hare + Guu....I agree and disagree. I agree many of the middle episodes are kinda dry. I disagree with the idea of only the first and last volumes being worth it. There were good episodes in the middle. At least 1 or 2 per dvd. So saying everything in the middle sucked just doesn't seem right to me. Granted many of the episodes were dry or lacking but there were some good ones as well.
maichips

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I hope Geneon doesn't cancel Kyou Kara Maoh! My friend would be crushed, seeing that they only have three volumes left to release!
bluepenguin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
The only show that annoyed me more than suzuka was Rumbling Hearts (funniest english title ever even if (i may be mistaken) it is accurate).

"Kimi ga Nozomu Eien," the series' Japanese title, actually translates roughly to "The Eternity You Wish For." I think Rumbling Hearts was the title of either the opening or ending song (lol J-pop Engrish), and I have no idea why they used it as the series title.

/random act of pedantry
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
I gonna jump on the bandwagon with the disagreement that Hare+Guu's middle episodes were dry. I though each episode was funny and cute in their own way. But it is a comedy series and depending your brand of comedy, Hare+Guu, might NOT be funny but in my experience, it was one of the most popular anime in my anime club back when it was fansubbed so I was estatic that Hare+Guu was coming over and the DVD box set is very much a high priority to buy for me, including the Deluxe season, which is even better. Sadly, this anime has been largely ignored even back in its fansub days that the Final season might not make it Stateside, which is unforunate since it got my favorite H+G episode ever.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
Hare+Guu is worth it if you like slutty moms. Wink
animeman51

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
Princess Raccoon's quircks and eccentricities make a lot more stylistic sense within the larger context of director Seijun Suzuki's filmography. Back in the sixties he was a somewhat prolific studio director. Rather than turn out standard studio product, he gave his films a psychadelic, pre-anime, pop twist. Though he would be fired for his efforts, he was probably one of Japan's supreme visual stylists. He was unemployed for a while, and ever since he returned to directing years later, his work became more and more surreal. So yeah, Princess Raccoon probably wasn't the best point of entry for Seijun Suzuki's body of work.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
maichips wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I hope Geneon doesn't cancel Kyou Kara Maoh! My friend would be crushed, seeing that they only have three volumes left to release!

Everything after November 6th and that includes at least the last two volumes of KKM.

bluepenguin wrote:
babbo wrote:
The only show that annoyed me more than suzuka was Rumbling Hearts (funniest english title ever even if (i may be mistaken) it is accurate).

"Kimi ga Nozomu Eien," the series' Japanese title, actually translates roughly to "The Eternity You Wish For." I think Rumbling Hearts was the title of either the opening or ending song (lol J-pop Engrish), and I have no idea why they used it as the series title.

/random act of pedantry

It was also used as the subtitle for the PS2 version of the game. As for why they used it, it may have been something the Japanese side decided. As for why they decided it, who knows?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
You couldn't stand Princess Racoon, want to redact most of Hare+Guu, and despise Suzuka ... yet still nothing perishable?

At least looking over the releases for the next week or two, there should be more than enough to clear your blockage.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
You couldn't stand Princess Racoon, want to redact most of Hare+Guu, and despise Suzuka ... yet still nothing perishable?

Oh, sorry, hadn't seen you drew the short straw:

The Fall 2007 Anime Season Guide wrote:
Kodomo no Jikan
(sic)
-Bamboo Dong

... get well soon.

PS -- Come on Rockies!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2