• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
If, Then, Or: Highschool of the Dead

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakitamike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
The text seems to be cut off on the right, so I don't know if this article is misleading or not, but the blurb on the homepage seems like this will offer undead or fanservice suggestions, while inside it offers fighting or drama recommendations. Is that the case, or are the columns buried under the right side for some reason?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
I think I've figured out why I don't like this column. I don't really like one aspect of a show more than the other. I like the combination of all the elements that compose it. These three series are nothing alike, except for precisely those keywords: violence and supernatural elements. And if I were looking for a show with just those keywords, I could just as easily do a search with those tags on the encyclopedia.

I like HOTD because it's a genius combination of blatant fanservice, hyper-violent fighting and post-apocalyptic survival elements.

I guess I sort of expected this column to recommend more similar anime. I'll keep reading because I might find some hidden gem, though.
gothung

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Yes, the text is cut off on the right side atm, but it's only by a few letters, so no, unfortunately no other hidden recommendations. I've only heard good things about the two recommended, though, so I'm not so disappointed.

On the other hand, this column did recommend some other similar shows:
Quote:
be it Twilight or Vampire Knight, Kore wa Zombie or Angel Beats!

I'm just not sure how close these shows will actually match everyone's opinions of similarity (esp. to something like HOTD)....
Warbrain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
yeah i really don't see how those are really in the same category as highschool of the dead. I mean I guess kore wa zombie desu ka has pretty much all of the elements but its really hard for me to think of them being similar. Plus they really left out the most important element of HotD, the over the top (and often comical) fan service. Not too many animes do fan service in the same way. Maybe there aren't any so thats why...
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
If anything, Shiki was an underrated gem last year because of how long it took to get off the ground and running. Literally 8 episodes before anything significant really happens and then until around episode 14 when it hits fulls speed.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
It's funny about this column because both of these series were streamed here at the same time. I had started watching Shiki, but for some reason I stopped. Not because I didn't like it but because these days I have a hard time keeping up with streaming shows these days. From what I saw, it really did give me a chill and I wanted to finish. By the time I got back to it the series had been removed. As for HSofTD, I quit after ep. 1. Not because it was bad mind you but I just can't take zombie films. But hey, I was curious, since my guy's book was getting animated. Boobies and zombies how can you not combine that.

Does anyone know if Shiki was ever considered for license?
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
I'm down with any article that recs Shiki-- criminally underrated! (Not that I blame people: it's slow to the nth degree at the start.) If you can make it through the slow beginning (I think the makers of the show worked really hard to make people want to get through it by going for cool music and neat visuals), the payoff is well worth it. Actually the slowness of the beginning is the only way the story could be as effective as it is. Can't recommend it enough!

Deadman Wonderland, on the other hand, I watched about 6 eps of before completely losing interest. I guess what this means is that I'm more interested in the drama than the hyperviolence. Hmmmm ;D
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
Yes, FUNimation said that Shiki should be released in 2012, in the spring if I remember right.

Also, Hulu still has all of Shiki: http://www.hulu.com/shiki

Fantastic show. I'm not sure what to think of it being paired with HOTD, but I suppose anything that gives it more outreach can't be bad.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
gothung wrote:
Yes, the text is cut off on the right side atm, but it's only by a few letters, so no, unfortunately no other hidden recommendations.
That depends on display size and browser setting ~ if you zoom out far enough, the overlap goes away, while zoomed in far enough and most of the right hand column is covered.

The column needs smaller images ~ its the size of the images, especially the two images in the side by side columns, that force the the columns to be overlayed by the "recent articles" sidebar. The reason its different for different browsers is that sidebar takes up a larger percentage of screen width as the browser contents are zoomed in.

Quote:
On the other hand, this column did recommend some other similar shows:
Quote:
be it Twilight or Vampire Knight, Kore wa Zombie or Angel Beats!

I'm just not sure how close these shows will actually match everyone's opinions of similarity (esp. to something like HOTD)....
No, it didn't. It presented those shows as a contrast to HSotD. That is, "sexy undead" shows versus something like HSotD, where the undead are quite definitely and without exception the bad guys.
JASON221

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Agree with above
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Never cared for HOTD. Only watched it because it practically screamed "mainstream anime".
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
HOTD is really a love it or hate it show. I loved it. Like stated before it was more the combination of what it offered that appealed to me. The fantastic music, the character development, the zombie fights, the great art and animation, etc.

If you don't like zombies and/or don't care for fanservice though, then it is certainly not for you.

I haven't seen either of those series yet that were mentioned, but I may look into them a little.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
HOTD is a litmus test show. The sex and violence is dialed up and asks you which aspect you like most (or least). As always, the sexual elements are the ones the mainstream audience most frowns on.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
But the violence isn't at all dialed up. That was actually one of my biggest issues with HOTD. It kept doing these stupid camera tricks so it wouldn't show the actual moment of impact, only the result. Takashi would swing his bat, the camera would cut to a close shot of his face, and then it would zoom out again and show the zombie falling down. It was utterly ridiculous. Heck, I would say that once Shiki got going, it was way more violent than what I saw of HOTD.

If you have seen as many 80's slasher films as I have, then you know that HOTD is quite tame by comparison.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed High School Of The Dead. I found it balanced the drama with the action and even the odd humorous moments nicely (and yes, even the fanservice). I've seen neither Deadman Wonderland, nor Shiki, but they both sound like something I'd like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2