• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2007-10-24

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Just leave it at that for now. She's a bit upset at the moment and may not be coming back for a while. If you want to ask her about something PM me, don't PM her.

Again? I don't think this matter will go away, nor how the way the site is run, mind you, for quite a while.
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quote
Some praise, some critics, and somehow sliding into something else.
Well, for my tuppence worth I have to say It wasn't all that bad.
I've certainly seen worse!

I liked it, and look forward to more.
(Wondering what she'll do with that gorgeous sword).
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quote
Can't say I was really expecting to see a web comic appear on ANN. I guess it doesn't hurt to really lighten the mood here once a week. Anime smile I don't have any problems with the art, but the story needs some polish. At the moment being a "news elf" doesn't seem to be relevant to the story, I'm wondering if it'll get worked in there somehow. It has certainly gotten me curious enough to read next week.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote
Hello, me again. Rolling Eyes

Is the word on Kevin's T-Shirt 'Otaku'?
The middle character isn't too clear, but I assumed it to be 'ta'.
The other two characters were easy to translate.
(I have, far too much time on my hands, and I'm supposed to be working).

Also, is it me, or does the cosplay woman (in purple) look a lot like Maki from Karin?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
Gundam Junkie wrote:
Is the word on Kevin's T-Shirt 'Otaku'?

Yes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:53 am Reply with quote
Cheers!
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote
Whoa is this new? This is the first time I saw this on ANN..

.. I guess it's okay Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:25 am Reply with quote
Wow,
I think this is adorable actually. Chances are high that since I visit ANN everyday I will read this as well, where I have trouble following other web strips. I think the character designs are cute and the words as well...nice, cheery introduction.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:41 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Can't say I was really expecting to see a web comic appear on ANN. I guess it doesn't hurt to really lighten the mood here once a week. Anime smile I don't have any problems with the art, but the story needs some polish. At the moment being a "news elf" doesn't seem to be relevant to the story, I'm wondering if it'll get worked in there somehow. It has certainly gotten me curious enough to read next week.

The story? What story? As far as I can see this is meant as a lighthearted, humorous look at anime fandom without too much of a story to get in the way. And I certainly thought it was funny. So I'm not sure what's wrong with the "story", considering it accomplished its goal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone,

I'm very happy to see that many of you are enjoying the comic so far, and thanks for voicing your opinions! To the haters.. well, you can't please everyone, but I do hope you might give the comic another chance in the future. I'm just starting out (and to be honest, I didn't give myself enough time to complete the first strips, as I have a full-time job that destroys me), but I'm confident that the quality of the strip will only go up as I get comfortable with the format.

Dormcat- Sadly I can't give a good time frame at the moment since I was crunching on the comic both during spurts of slow periods at my job and working after hours until bed time, but my best guess is that if I were to really focus straight on the comic, one strip could be done in about two days, provided I already had the story/gag idea in my head. I'll be able to give you a better answer once I quit my job. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Dormcat- Sadly I can't give a good time frame at the moment since I was crunching on the comic both during spurts of slow periods at my job and working after hours until bed time, but my best guess is that if I were to really focus straight on the comic, one strip could be done in about two days, provided I already had the story/gag idea in my head. I'll be able to give you a better answer once I quit my job. Twisted Evil

That's good enough. Thank you.

And don't quit your day job. Wink

EDIT: Someone just reminded me that "don't quit your day job" implied that the quality of your manga was inferior than average. That was definitely NOT what I was thinking. I wrote it because I knew that supporting oneself with (web)manga alone can be very difficult financially, as I personally know a few buddies doing that. I apologize for any misunderstanding that sentence caused.

Last edited by dormcat on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was adorable, Jadress! Very Happy Keep up the good work. I did mini-strips for my former high school newspaper, so I can relate to your time/format adjustments. (You might see some fanart soon! ;p)
Polly E.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

"Welcome to the Internet, pissing on your best intentions since 1991!"

"Welcome to the Internet, hard to accept I know, but differing opinions and criticisms have existed on public displays since the dawn of time."
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:09 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy with the comments so far. As Robin said, you can't please everyone, I expected various people to be unhappy with this development because either 1) they didn't like the comic or 2)they don't approve of ANN running a comic or 3) both.

Normally people are more apt to complain than support, as a metric, I usually go with 1 complaint = 1000 unhappy readers and 1 good comment = 10,000 happy readers. So right now, I'm really happy with the results, and I apologize to the 7,000 or so unhappy readers.

Anyways, I hope that the comic doesn't detract from the rest of the site for those of you who don't like it. And I hope that some of your give it a chance to perhaps grow on you.

As for everyone else, glad you like it. Although I was leaning towards "no" when the idea was first proposed, I was very excited about the new comic when I first saw it, I think it's a good fit for ANN.

-t
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
I think it's pretty cute, although the second gag with the 'dracoon' fell flat for me (perhaps because I've been fortunate enough to never meet someone who believed they were some non-human being. Very Happy )

As far as the art goes... It's not the best I've ever seen, but it's hardly the worst I've ever seen either (even compared to stuff in actual print, I've seen worse.) Looking forward to watching the art evolve as the comic goes on!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6