• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Starz Edge Network to Launch Weekly Anime Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Yay, a channel I actually get! Even though, I've seen the FMA movie and Desert Punk doesn't really appeal to me... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:
Starz Edge is part of Starz Pak, which includes all the Starz Channels and sometimes the Encore channels as well (it matters how your cable/satellite has it all set up, I think) and is not the same channel as Encore Action.

Starz and Encore are owned by Liberty Media Corp. according to this website.

Well it's end result has been more like a merger with everything being rebranded to Starz! Media. Either way, here's what LMC has to say about themselves http://www.libertymedia.com/faq/default.htm#01 and here's what Starz! has to stay http://www.starz.com/features/corporate/
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
eyesopen0791 wrote:
So now, you heard this unconfirmed piece of news from me again.
Ah, and what a welcome bit of unconfirmed news it is. Very Happy

eyesopen0791 wrote:
Although, considering that Basilisk and Samurai 7 were Gonzo properties, what company would IFC probably go with? Hmmm, easy guess, isn’t it… Wink
Gonzo does get a lot of love here in the land of R1 DVDs. I wonder if it's because they have low licensing fees or if their series just sell that well.

We've had more than a few Gonzo shows show up lately. Given that Funimation was at one time trying to get Witchblade on [adult swim], perhaps it might be one of those 3?
LeeBarnes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
well pinch my toes and call me a jelly donut.

i just freakin canceled the starz package so i could say money. doesn't that figure. Anime hyper
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
It seems a bit unfair that "Conqueror of Shamballa" isn't premiering on tv on Adult Swim, since FMA's popularity is due in large/medium part to its success on tv, on Adult Swim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
It seems a bit unfair that "Conqueror of Shamballa" isn't premiering on tv on Adult Swim, since FMA's popularity is due in large/medium part to its success on tv, on Adult Swim.

Kelly wrote:
I am surprised AS didn't pick it up though, since it had run the series.

To run the movie without edits (105 minutes) plus commecials (at least 15 minutes, but probably 45 - or 30 if they just plug the 15 minute slot with Minoriteam at its usual time) Adult Swim would have to allocate 2-2.5 hours to showing new anime on Saturday night. In addition to pre-empting The Boondocks, this would apparently cause a rift in the space-time continuum, leading to the destruction of reality as we know it.

The broadcast of the FMA movie is pretty cool, but the DVD is a lot cheaper than Starz (and the extra features on it are pretty good too). If the rest of their programming goes with the same Manga Entertainment catalog that is making it to SciFi then I can't see this move as too earth-shattering (unless you really need to hear the characters in Tokko swearing... SciFi's silent edits are really annoying).

Now if Animax could pick up some anime in HD that isn't Samurai 7 then I could get excited.

(Oops... I'm doing the cynical internet forum posting thing. My apologies to all injured parties.)
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Now if Animax could pick up some anime in HD that isn't Samurai 7 then I could get excited.
If you mean Animania on Dish, then here's what upcoming on it: http://www.animationmagazine.net/article/7508

Looks like kiddie fare... Sad
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
eyesopen0791 wrote:
So now, you heard this unconfirmed piece of news from me again.
Ah, and what a welcome bit of unconfirmed news it is. Very Happy
Did you like that? I saw a chance to mention it again. Smile

Richard J. wrote:
We've had more than a few Gonzo shows show up lately. Given that Funimation was at one time trying to get Witchblade on [adult swim], perhaps it might be one of those 3?
Sadly, speculation that will go nowhere without any confirmation from the company. We'll have to wait for next year to find out. *Sigh*

I have another piece of old news, hopefully no one has heard about it much: http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/10576.html
icv2 reported that Petite Cossette will replace Ergo Proxy.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
eyesopen0791 wrote:
I have another piece of old news, hopefully no one has heard about it much: http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/10576.html
icv2 reported that Petite Cossette will replace Ergo Proxy.

On Friday November 16th Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, a series of 3 OVAs produced by Aniplex, will take over Ergo Proxy's spot. Based on a 2-volume manga series by Asuka Katsura, Petit Cossette is psychological horror series with "Gothic Lolita" overtones.

By my count there are 4 episodes of Ergo Proxy left. So if they replace it in 3 weeks on the 16th they'll be 1 episode short.
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
By my count there are 4 episodes of Ergo Proxy left. So if they replace it in 3 weeks on the 16th they'll be 1 episode short.

Yup, the Fuse website says they're on episode 19. Guess they'll run Cossette one week later than what they said they'll do on the icv2 press release. Wink
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Now, they just need to expand it to their additional channels a bit more Smile

Additional channels nothing, they need to stick it on the flagship both to garner more viewers/attention and bring us some HD love (even if it is just really really really very pretty 4:3.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2