• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
i have a photo of a pumpkin i carved out about 2 weeks ago that already molded >.< i dont have the second pic with ANN on it, would i still be able to enter?
Akukame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I was a little worried about that Nana pumpkin when I originally carved it because my original idea went flop (turned into a mangled mess of pumpkin guts on the floor).

I'll admit, it does end up kind of indistinct. It was partly due to the style of picture, and partly due to the size of the pumpkin (It was... by carving means, a pretty small pumpkin, the actual carving being maybe 5" tall at best).

Maybe I should do another this year~ oh, but its so late to start~ hmm... I do have halloween off though....
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
OH WAIT.

Darn it. I was about to use a really large zuchini! *snaps fingers*

Now what am I going to do? Anime hyper

Good thing I didn't start yet...
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quote
It's easy to do a really interesting design if you use a template. But the important thing is to keep trying new techniques. I've been constantly bettering myself over the years and I was surprised at how well this year's turned out. It's a lot easier to do fine detail if you don't carve all the way through. And "half-carving" (not cutting but scraping off) gives more flexiblity.

I've noticed that Death Note has lots of good images for making templates from. I don't like using them; I prefer to be original. I will do a sketch beforehand to work things out. And I haven't really done any art since high-school. The only down side is that since I'm so good at it I get stuck doing it every year.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quote
It's easy to do a really interesting design if you use a template. But the important thing is to keep trying new techniques. I've been constantly bettering myself over the years and I was surprised at how well this year's turned out. It's a lot easier to do fine detail if you don't carve all the way through. And "half-carving" (not cutting but scraping off) gives more flexiblity.

I've noticed that Death Note has lots of good images for making templates from. I don't like using them; I prefer to be original. I will do a sketch beforehand to work things out. And I haven't really done any art since high-school. The only down side is that since I'm so good at it I get stuck doing it every year.
RobotPenguin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
so how do i submit my pictures? i got my pumpkins carved quite nicely, and i got my pics up, but i don't see where i submit them.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
RobotPenguin wrote:
so how do i submit my pictures? i got my pumpkins carved quite nicely, and i got my pics up, but i don't see where i submit them.

E-mail them to halloween [at] animenewsnetwork [dot] com. I had to look over the contest page a couple times before I found the address :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
RobotPenguin wrote:

E-mail them to halloween [at] animenewsnetwork [dot] com. I had to look over the contest page a couple times before I found the address :p

Yeah. The problem with posting the email address is that all the spambots pick it up right away. I've been getting an insane amount of spam since you posted that link. ^^;;

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Yeah. The problem with posting the email address is that all the spambots pick it up right away. I've been getting an insane amount of spam since you posted that link. ^^;;

Oh, so that's why you usually put spaces in between the @ and the "dot"? I've always wondered about that... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Actually if you post an email link in an article it is protected against spambots. But not in the forum...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Akukame

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh~ a last minute entry from me.

I think I was overambitious this year. But it turned out good I think. Hopefully people like it ^^
RobotPenguin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
i hope that red garden pumpkin won something last year. i'm not a huge fan of the dhow, but that pumpkin must have been carved with a lazer. and the one underneath it, with the girl and the bamboo is also really nice.
it feels weird entering a contest where they don't ask for your name, age, and address, but i guess they just need to know which enil the pictrues were attached to.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
RobotPenguin wrote:
i hope that red garden pumpkin won something last year. i'm not a huge fan of the dhow, but that pumpkin must have been carved with a lazer. and the one underneath it, with the girl and the bamboo is also really nice.
it feels weird entering a contest where they don't ask for your name, age, and address, but i guess they just need to know which enil the pictrues were attached to.

Once the winners are selected, I'll ask for their name and addresses later. I suppose in the future, I could ask for an age. That never occurred to me before. ^^;;
RiderG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
first time entering so we'll see how i do... i did one of gohan a few years ago that came out really good, but i haven't carved anything since...

Gohan Pumpkin
AisuruMirai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
RobotPenguin wrote:

I didn't receive the prizes, but the RED GARDEN pumpkin was a runner-up last year. As for the laser,....let's keep that a secret.

I'm glad you like my pumpkin!

じゃ、
アイスル未来
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7