• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2011-10-05

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Usually I think Anime News Nina is funny. This week is the first I've thought it was AAAAAAAWESOME.

Robin totally gets it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
RustyHearts wrote:
sub > dub always

And someone didn't get the joke... Rolling Eyes
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:56 am Reply with quote
Shocked Kevin actually makes a good, no, great Cloud! I love the glasses are about the only distinguishing difference. lol Even though I can't believe he didn't notice anything different about his wardrobe. Hehe.

Awesome stab-moment too. That made me snirk/laugh. Very Happy Carry on with the FFVII references! I'm loving the in-jokes!
Mune

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
A friend of mine said that buying licensed releases is the best because you don't have to watch the English Dub if you don't want to. Almost every anime DVD that is licensed in the United States has a Japanese audio with subtitles. So, if you absolutely hate English dubs, you can still get the most out of licensed releases. Plus, some dubs are actually better than the original Japanese audio. The same can be said in the reverse too on several series. I guess it's to the viewer's preference.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Haha this is definitely one of the best ones ever. I love the sub/dub allusion and the hardcore fan one.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the "No True Scotsman" fallacy, one of my favorites. Excellent, all around. But what makes a person a true fan of anime? It's not like you fill out an application, like you do to be a Discordian. There's no list or collection of anime you must watch to become a fan. Much like in my old friend Luther's theology, all it takes is to announce "I'm an anime fan", and you're in. As an anime fan, you are expected to do things, like support the industry and such, but it is not actions that make you a fan, but belief.

The actions Ninaroth is describing is not tribalism, like most conflicts in fandom, but rather a drive for intellectual primacy (there's some greek word for this, but I can't recall it). Basically, there is a need for to establish a pecking order, with themselves at the top. Since the internet makes rational arguments impossible, they resort to the true scotsman. Only a 'true fan' has the final authority, and since they define what a 'true fan' is, they are always the final authority, and therefore always right. There are easier ways to deal with them than the double suicide, but I can not deny it's efficacy.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
Or how about pitting a sub purist against a dub purist, or a licensed release purist against a fansub purist? I'd like to see how a theoretical immovable-wall/unstoppable-projectile situation would play out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2