• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (TV, both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Now that the rough contours of the show are somewhat clear, I've become a lot more interested.

EmbraceMe wrote:
This is probably a minor spoiler but it basically explains what happened - spoiler[The protagonist, Aoi Toori, has his waifu* taken away from him. He starts war with the rest of the world to get her back. *Horizon/P-01s]

spoiler[I recall dialogue in episode 1 where he was already indicating that he was going to piss off the rest of the world. Did he already know?]

EmbraceMe wrote:
I'm still enjoying this show and loving the characters - particularly Tadakatsu and Kazuno. They're one of the most bad-ass pairs I've seen and episode 5 left me in [manly] tears.

I do like that the disposable characters still have character. The mech pilots, for instance, seemed like they were actually capable of fighting, even if they were outclassed, which is sadly lacking for Generic Soldier B in most shows. But the Tadakatsu/Kazuno pair is definitely getting a spot on my "cutest couples in anime" list.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
@Yttrbio, I'm not too sure if Toori already knew about it. I've heard some things that said spoiler[confessing to Horizon would basically mean war with the rest of the world] but that doesn't answer your question. I've also heard that spoiler[the group that oversaw the actions of Musashi had a tradition of putting an idiot in charge so rebellions would not occur.]

I would like to say more but they're likely to be huge spoilers so I'll refrain from doing so... until the episodes air or when this show ends.

I'm pretty sure this show is 24-26 episodes with this being the first season/cour. The second season/cour, from what I read and heard, is supposedly airing in Spring 2012... so that's a while. I feel that this is just an introductory to the second cour/season with the progression. This also adapts up to chapter 20ish of the Light Novel.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Oh hey, so, I'm five episodes in now, and I still have no bloody clue what's going on for the most part...

Right there with you. I don't have to be spoon-fed but this screenplay is so chaotic and overstuffed with anime-like objects that I just see no point in puzzling it out. I stopped watching halfway through and I don't think I will continue this series. I have better things to do.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I am going to remain hopeful about this, it is a nice mix of genres and the art is decent...and I do like to see what is coming out currently and compare it to past series to keep an idea of how anime is evolving. I see the first five eps are generally available.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
.....is the story really all that difficult to follow?

There's only one thing I didn't quite understand, and it's why whatshisname...spoiler[Motonobu or something decided to start the meltdown...I mean, couldn't he have done it without getting himself killed in the process?]

Also...I don't like flat chested girl, what an [expletive] at the end of episode 5. Confused

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote
No, the story isn't that difficult to follow, and I think the tone of my post may have been misinterpreted somewhat. A bit like the plot of the show, hohoho.

My problem with Horizon is that it never lets you get a proper hold on the characters or the plot, since every episode they chuck some new dynamic in. In the first five episodes we must have met 20-30 characters referred to by name. Now, call me old fashioned, but if you introduce someone by name, you expect to include them in the plot somewhere. Otherwise it's redundant providing their name, no? So we have a score of people we potentially have to keep an eye on. Already.

The perspective switching for the first slew of episodes was... Probably unnecessary. I think the people involved are most likely the ones who'll be at the heart of the story. Great, but in terms of the actual main plot we've advanced one day in four episodes. I know it's important to grasp what motivates a main character but there are more subtle and fluid ways of exploring that, alongside the natural progression of the story.

Then there's the ham-fisted way the backstory was introduced at the end of the first episode. Let's be honest, episode one was a bit of a joke really. Again, my main beef is with the sheer number of characters being introduced all at once. I'm sure everyone's had chance to pick a 'favourite' by now but it's like they've just drawn up a list of all the anime archetypes they could think of, and instead of picking four or five, they've decided to just include them all. Quantity over quality, right?

Like I said, I keep watching, and the fight scenes are cool. There's just a risk of information overload here. Maybe spoiler[now that it's all kicked off] the pacing will pick up and they'll trim some of the fat from the already bloated cast list.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Also...I don't like flat chested girl, what an [expletive] at the end of episode 5. Confused

Kick to the jaw or spoiler[story ends with one of the focal characters executed by Italian Special Forces].
Sometimes the right decision just ain't that pretty.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
.....is the story really all that difficult to follow?

It's difficult to care about since this show has been one huge, sloppily constructed cluster-f**k from the get-go. The ending of Ep 4, when we see the war starting and it pans across the whole (overly bloated) cast while lamenting "I wish those days could have lasted" I was so off-put since we have been given no time at all to get to know or get attached to any of the characters, even the supposed lead guy. This show is really just "well, pick your favorite archetype and watch for their lines/scenes, ignore everything else."
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
It's difficult to care about

I'm fairly certain that's the actual problem since I'm not having trouble understanding what's going on despite being as dense as they come. My problem is, I came into this expecting a unique, epic story, but so far all I've gotten is three episodes of boob gags, one episode of rapidly switching scenes to show me that lots of stuff was going on but not giving me any opportunity or reason to care, and now one that launches the virtually ubiquitous shounen plot of Rescuing the Abducted MacGuffin Girl, making me wonder when the MC will come down with amnesia too while they're at it. Even so, given its planned length, it's still far too early for me to totally dismiss, but remaining at least somewhat interested for long enough to really give it a fair chance is going to be quite challenging at this rate.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, the story is certainlly beginning to show signs of life now.

However, I keep thinking there not going to be alot time to really fresh out everything and real problems with the world won't be resolved (shouldn't be) so quickly with 13 episodes the series was aloted.

I hope series does get second season to get things really going.

As side note: I personally think reason for all the fan service is the state of Otaku in Japan. 'Mech, future shows, etc aren't as popular as they used to be. Seems like only way the the smaller anime companies can get the picky Otaku's interest peeked enough to by their stuff is do fanservice.

I think it shouldn't be so much, but I'm old school in my tastes for anime. I like a good story before seeing boobage etc.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
The episodes are picking it up. Its starting to make sense. The blind girls story was pretty heartwarming.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone gotten a reason why the characters answer others with word "Judge" or "Tes" (aka Testament)?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:
It's difficult to care about

I'm fairly certain that's the actual problem since I'm not having trouble understanding what's going on despite being as dense as they come. My problem is, I came into this expecting a unique, epic story, but so far all I've gotten is three episodes of boob gags, one episode of rapidly switching scenes to show me that lots of stuff was going on but not giving me any opportunity or reason to care, and now one that launches the virtually ubiquitous shounen plot of Rescuing the Abducted MacGuffin Girl, making me wonder when the MC will come down with amnesia too while they're at it. Even so, given its planned length, it's still far too early for me to totally dismiss, but remaining at least somewhat interested for long enough to really give it a fair chance is going to be quite challenging at this rate.

that's why people suggested that people should to do some research(wiki) on it before watch the anime. This is one of those anime that you can't understand unless you know the world and the characters already. Otherwise, this will happen or don't watch it.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I am glad I stuck with Horizon. THe first couple of episodes were a huge info dump, but it has gotten relatively better. The debate episode and this weeks episode helped clear up a lot of stuff. Toori's sister is such a badass. She took down that strong girl easily. Now more stronger warriors has joined Toori's side. Lets see how they fare against the Union Testament.
dan7el

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else get the feeling that Toori Aoi is "holding back"? He plays the fool and gets everyone involved in what he does. Others do his fighting but behnd it all he's a super bad-ass?

Wikipedia doesn't give much information on this, but I have a feeling if push came to shove, he'd win out in pure ability when the time came.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9