• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ghost Hunt Anime by 12 Kingdoms Author

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Ooooooooooooooh......... Surprised

Well, this really sounds like it'll be a great one. I've been wanting to give it a try ever since I overheard a couple of people in the manga section at Barnes & Noble talking about it, and I guess this is my big chance. Along with like, millions of other series I want to check out have you, but I'll try to fit it in there somewhere. And if I like the anime enough, who knows? Maybe I'll give the manga a shot too. Does anyone know how different/similar the two are?

The only problem is that it's a shoujo series, but oh well, from the sound of things it'll be the kind of shoujo series I actually like. Wink
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Thanks for the warning. But, then again, with a title like that, one does have to expect scary moments.

Actually, I really, really hate scary stuff too. But Ghost Hunt, while scary, is somehow acceptable to me.

I guess having a nice optimistic lead girl and it being anime helps a lot. That and the fact that unlike most horror flicks this one doesn't always drown people in blood; the caveat being "always." Shocked

Flipnofunk wrote:
I am guessing it was File #7 because that one scared the heck out of me.

Totally! The labyrinth was the best case of the series IMO.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, what could take them an entire year to release it after announcing it?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Honestly, what could take them an entire year to release it after announcing it?

Someone else will probably have better answers than I but what I can come up with are:

1) Scripts have to be written.

2) Dialog recorded.

3) Allowing titles that are already out to finish before releasing a new one. That way the market isn't overly saturated... Question
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quote
This series is enjoyable in many ways although it's horror element is just...not that scary (apart from the last two story arcs, which are reasonably hair-raising).

But this is awesome news! I've been wondering if and when this would get licensed. Can't wait to pick this up.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
The only problem is that it's a shoujo series, but oh well, from the sound of things it'll be the kind of shoujo series I actually like. Wink

Shoujo? I didn't get that kind of vibe from the anime at all Confused. The series is basically divided into "files" or arcs. The cast of characters consists of one main girl (the helper), one main guy (the boss), and a handful of extras that just happen to be along for the trip throughout the whole thing (a monk, a miko, a priest, a medium, and the main guy's initial assistant, who's somewhat of a Chinese spiritualist).

Through each file, SPR (Shibuya Psychic Research, their "name") investigates paranormal disturbances ranging from psychic phenomena to actual ghosts/spirits. I would say the first few files aren't particularly scary, but later.. heh, they get a bit violent in terms of backstory and plot, with some very chilling musical scores and sound effects.

I guess I could understand how the shoujo part is incorporated between Mai (the girl) and "Naru" (the guy), but they hardly ever focus on the relationship between the two. There's a little crush, but definitely not shoujo enough to be considered romance or anything like that.

For about 99% of the series, it's just a mix of comedy, drama, horror, mystery, and the supernatural themes of their cases; a lot of fun to watch, and it even manages to scare (a rarity for anime). Look forward to it.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Shoujo? I didn't get that kind of vibe from the anime at all Confused. The series is basically divided into "files" or arcs. The cast of characters consists of one main girl (the helper), one main guy (the boss), and a handful of extras that just happen to be along for the trip throughout the whole thing (a monk, a miko, a priest, a medium, and the main guy's initial assistant, who's somewhat of a Chinese spiritualist).

Through each file, SPR (Shibuya Psychic Research, their "name") investigates paranormal disturbances ranging from psychic phenomena to actual ghosts/spirits. I would say the first few files aren't particularly scary, but later.. heh, they get a bit violent in terms of backstory and plot, with some very chilling musical scores and sound effects.

I guess I could understand how the shoujo part is incorporated between Mai (the girl) and "Naru" (the guy), but they hardly ever focus on the relationship between the two. There's a little crush, but definitely not shoujo enough to be considered romance or anything like that.

For about 99% of the series, it's just a mix of comedy, drama, horror, mystery, and the supernatural themes of their cases; a lot of fun to watch, and it even manages to scare (a rarity for anime). Look forward to it.

Yeah, from the sound of it it really doesn't seem to be all that much Shoujo, although it seems to be rated as one anyways. From your description there, it seems to have a lot more Shounen elements to it than it does Shoujo, although I'm not sure how big a part those elements play into it in the first place.

It'll be nice to see some horror elements too, I don't think I've seen too many series that can get that spooky save maybe a few. I'll definitely be looking forward to it.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Tony K. wrote:

Yeah, from the sound of it it really doesn't seem to be all that much Shoujo, although it seems to be rated as one anyways. From your description there, it seems to have a lot more Shounen elements to it than it does Shoujo, although I'm not sure how big a part those elements play into it in the first place.

There are two key points to keep in mind:

Action does not equal shounen.

Romance does not equal shoujo.

There are shoujo action and stacks of shoujo horror series (like this one), and there are shounen romance series (like Maison Ikkoku).
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking about watching this series via fansubs the other day. Sweet; now I'll soon be able to watched it dubbed instead. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rebii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad to see this coming to DVD and so sad its from funimation; who, for me, puts the FU in animation. I will buy this, it's a great series, I viewed it as fansub, and eagerly await the DVDs so I can own the set.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
rebii wrote:
I am so glad to see this coming to DVD and so sad its from funimation; who, for me, puts the FU in animation. I will buy this, it's a great series, I viewed it as fansub, and eagerly await the DVDs so I can own the set.

Question What do you mean by the "FU in Animation"?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
The poster is probably upset it's Funimation because they supposedly have really bad video quality issues with their releases. Personally, I can't see any big differences between them and other R1 and even foreign DVDs, but I'm not expert and may not be seeing everything.

The "FU in Animation" is likely a somewhat less vulger way to say that Funimation screws people on their animated releases. (Which, personally, I completely disagree with.)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
The poster is probably upset it's Funimation because they supposedly have really bad video quality issues with their releases. Personally, I can't see any big differences between them and other R1 and even foreign DVDs, but I'm not expert and may not be seeing everything.

The "FU in Animation" is likely a somewhat less vulger way to say that Funimation screws people on their animated releases. (Which, personally, I completely disagree with.)

That's what I was thought. It looks like s/he hasn't paid attention to Funi since their early DB days - which was when I wouldn't have touched a Funi product with a 10-foot-pole. These days...I love Funi. If it's a title that I like and Funi has it, I have no qualms about getting it whatsoever.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, if their issue is video quality, then it has nothing to do with the DBZ days. I'm one of the people that can't see it, but for people that can, it seems that Funi is pretty bad. Besides, if you are DB fan even now, Funi is evil. The DBZ box sets are an ongoing atrocity and it must pain DBZ fans greatly every time they see those sets. I'm not even a huge DBZ fan and I still get a bit angry about that because I wanted to actually own at least on arc of that and seeing them reminds me of how badly Funi botched that. They may sell like hotcakes, but for a lot of people, 4kids might as well have been releasing it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

That's what I was thought. It looks like s/he hasn't paid attention to Funi since their early DB days - which was when I wouldn't have touched a Funi product with a 10-foot-pole. These days...I love Funi. If it's a title that I like and Funi has it, I have no qualms about getting it whatsoever.

So you missed on Fruits Basket since that was one of the early titles Funi did outside of DBZ?

I'm not planning on re-buying all the series, but I did get the first 2 seasons to get the Japanese track. (Yeah Ryo Horikawa!)

I like the relationship between Mai & Naru-not drippy romance, but there is something. I also like how the mystery is unfolded slowly such as Lin being Naru's watchdog more than assistant. He's gone from being the silent butler-type to having an actual reason to be there. Not to mention he has issues with Japan which is interesting to see in a Japanese story.We seem to find out something about at least one of the regulars with each story.

Is it a huge horror title? Probably not. It's still in the Ghostbusters/Scoobie Doo school of team hired to solve ghostly mystery, though the mysteries can be several levels above anything the groups I mentioned ever handled (Though I do love the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man) The current story (Vol 8 or 9) is probably on par in creepiness to the Goblin Cat Ayakashi storyline or a couple of the Requiem From the Darkness tales.

As for it being shojo, check out 12 Kingdoms before dismissing this as just shojo. The author is very talented at storytelling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3