• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - IMPORTANT SOCIAL ISSUES

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Now a far more reasonable worst case in that situation would have been if the person had taken offence and physically retorted...but terrorism?

I think you also missed the part where I said:
Quote:
Both of these are ranges at the best and worst. And if you think that I am exaggerating please let me remind you that not so long in our history (and even today) that people commit horrible acts because they feel slighted in just the tiniest way. People kill people just for looking at them in the wrong way.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
But is that a reasonable reaction or train of thought?

When you consider whether you do or say something and you think of what the consequences could be do you REALLY think that the person in question will commit and act of racist terrorism?

I'm not asking if people have done so in the past or are planning to do so in the future (or even doing so right now), I am asking if you REALLY think that in the vast number of cases of racism/serious insult/etc that go on everyday the victim actually considers a terrorist act a viable response?

A worst case scenario...yes fine the person performing a terrorist act is a pretty damn bad act but why stop there? Why not assume they will start a world war by launching a nuclear warhead at multiple targets and pinning blame that's worse but pretty damned unreasonable.

I find the idea that you consider a person would think of performing a terrorist for such a thing quite worrying...why shouldn't I assume that YOU consider a terrorist attack viable as a response to a serious insult?

Anyway, it may be the worst case scenario; it may have happened before; but in this case you are still assuming that the Muslim in question has at least to some degree the thought and inclination to go 'Oh I've been insulted, lets go and blow up a bomb on a bus'.

I don't think that it is reasonable to assume that a normal person thinks that way.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
@Mokona Modoki:Just because they switched around the original definition. The word is not in fact racist. No offense but that total bull. That like me telling any given race to burn in hell. And then says I mean it's in a nice way. The argument broadens on stupidity. Rolling Eyes
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
@Mokona Modoki:Just because they switched around the original definition. The word is not in fact racist. No offense but that total bull. That like me telling any given race to burn in hell. And then says I mean it's in a nice way. The argument broadens on stupidity. Rolling Eyes

Since you've addressed this to me I have seriously considered trying to produce a thoughtful reply to it. Sadly I can't do that due to a previous commitment, which is that I've already scheduled this time to have a conversation with a nearby brick wall. Luckily for me it has assured me that it is capable of attempting to understand opinions that it doesn't already hold, so the conversation should be more rewarding than this one.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Nice try but you fail short at being funny and witty. Rolling Eyes Anyway,I understand your opinion. I just found a lot of holes in your opinion. It's no conceivable way that I can accept that opinion. Which in the dictionary it's says otherwise.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Nice try but you fail short at being funny and witty. Rolling Eyes Anyway,I understand your opinion. I just found a lot of holes in your opinion. It's no conceivable way that I can accept that opinion. Which in the dictionary it's says otherwise.

I'll leave the evaluation of my funniness and wittiness to people with whom it will resonate (i.e. those who've had the experience of trying to have a dialog with you). But since you seem determined to persist, I guess I'll do this. The brick wall got upset and started crying anyway.

I have no idea based on what you've said in response to me so far what part of my 'opinion' you find these 'holes' in. I got "MokonaModoki is stupid", but that's about it. Without wandering off into telling other races to burn in hell or making vague references to the dictionary of gibberish, can you explain concisely what parts of my 'opinion' you are finding all these 'holes' in?

Is it the first part where I agreed with your sentiments completely? Obviously such agreement can only be reached in principle, or by necessarily ignoring the reality of the world around us. That said, it would pretty annoying if you are throwing this garbage my way when I was fundamentally attempting to back you up a little bit. You are the one that wandered into an untenable position, I was just trying to help you see where you went astray.

Was it the part where I said that the appropriation of a particular racial epithet by some segments of black culture began long before the birth of rap? That isn't opinion, it's fact. I didn't say it isn't a racist word. I didn't say it's a good word to use - ever. I just gave you a little history. You've mentioned history multiple times now, so I thought you'd find it useful.

Maybe it's the part where I pointed out the fact that a double-standard actually does exist, regardless of how much we might wish otherwise? Again, that's not opinion, it's fact.

The rest of my post was just anecdote to illustrate that fact. It's just what happened. It isn't the type of thing where you get to decide that it is not what happened because you don't like it.

Maybe it's a 'hole' in my 'opinion' that I elected not to get offended at the use of a word directed my way? If so then that is my prerogative, not some hole for you to find in some imaginary argument. I spend enough time around enough black people that I have found it necessary to simply accept that a double-standard does, in fact, exist. That's my reality.

Feel free to impose your own cultural imperative upon the blacks that you associate with, and be sure to let me know how it turns out, but don't pretend to tell me that it is my responsibility to do it for you.

Unless we move to some fantasy realm where all your desires magically become reality just because you demand that it be so, I don't understand what 'holes' are bothering you here. If you have some cognitive dissonance that says "what I believe is true because I say so no matter what happens in the world around me" then please stop trying to inflict it on me.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
hentai4me wrote:
blueharlequin wrote:

Scenario 2 (worst case scenario): One of the Muslim men hears her and thinks, "ignorant girl" and decides that its maybe they should speed up the timetable for the bombing and little infidel sluts like that will get judged what they deserve

Err...isn't this just as racist? Happily linking a group of Muslims with terrorist attacks? There is absolutely no evidence in the posted comment that they were in any way related to a terrorist organisation or anything resembling one at all. Why did you make the link between a group of Muslims and terrorism? Personally I'd consider that an infinitely more offensive thing to say or think than merely commenting on their style of dress or the colour of their skin...

No its not, because it has been proven that while not ALL terrorists are Muslim (Oklahoma city bombing), some Muslims ARE terrorists (911). Oh, and you must have missed the part that says "worst case scenario"

Actually, I'm going to have to agree with hentai4me. What you said implied that any given Muslim *could* be a terrorist, which is racial profiling.

Yes, worst case scenario, anyone *could* be a terrorist, or could snap at any second and go postal, but to say that because some Muslims are terrorists and therefore could be the bad apple in a group, is as offensive as saying, "One of these Taco Bell workers probably doesn't have his papers."

It's racial profiling, either way.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
hentai4me wrote:
blueharlequin wrote:

Scenario 2 (worst case scenario): One of the Muslim men hears her and thinks, "ignorant girl" and decides that its maybe they should speed up the timetable for the bombing and little infidel sluts like that will get judged what they deserve

Err...isn't this just as racist?

No its not, because it has been proven that while not ALL terrorists are Muslim (Oklahoma city bombing), some Muslims ARE terrorists (911). Oh, and you must have missed the part that says "worst case scenario"

This is pretty faulty logic. Also ask yourself this. In your example of people being slighted would your worst case scenerio have been terrorist attack for any group other then Muslims. Honestly. If the answer is no then you may want to consider working on your prejudices. I don't say that to rag on you. We all have them.
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
This is pretty faulty logic. Also ask yourself this. In your example of people being slighted would your worst case scenerio have been terrorist attack for any group other then Muslims. Honestly. If the answer is no then you may want to consider working on your prejudices. I don't say that to rag on you. We all have them.

Please explain how this is faulty logic. I gave clear examples of how it is not. As for your second point, I would like to give several examples. There have been religious cults are known to perpetrate terrorist attacks, for example the serin gas attack on Tokyo subway. Anti-government organizations are known to carry out terrorist attacks, another example (which I mentioned) is the Oklahoma city bombings. The IRA has carried out may terrorist attacks in the name of nationalism and religion. So no, I did not think of only Muslims when it came to this argument. I simply choose a subject relevant and understandable to the current climate of readers. Does anyone now (who didn't live through it) even remember those events or why those attacks happened?

I like Islam, I consider it a very beautiful religion. I have nothing against Muslim people as a whole, despite having lived in the Middle East for 13 years. As for working on my prejudices, I have very few and none of them involve gender, racial, religious, or social groups. I have high paranoia. I don't know what rosy world everyone else seems to live in, but the world I live in doesn't seem to have very many reasonable people. If there were a lot of reasonable people there would be no war and everybody would agree on everything.

Thank you for your opinions, this was a very entertaining conversation. I think in the future I will stick to more innocuous subjects, like lolicon, fansubs and subs vs. dubs.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:

Please explain how this is faulty logic. I gave clear examples of how it is not. As for your second point, I would like to give several examples. There have been religious cults are known to perpetrate terrorist attacks, for example the serin gas attack on Tokyo subway. Anti-government organizations are known to carry out terrorist attacks, another example (which I mentioned) is the Oklahoma city bombings. The IRA has carried out may terrorist attacks in the name of nationalism and religion. So no, I did not think of only Muslims when it came to this argument. I simply choose a subject relevant and understandable to the current climate of readers. Does anyone now (who didn't live through it) even remember those events or why those attacks happened?

I like Islam, I consider it a very beautiful religion. I have nothing against Muslim people as a whole, despite having lived in the Middle East for 13 years. As for working on my prejudices, I have very few and none of them involve gender, racial, religious, or social groups. I have high paranoia. I don't know what rosy world everyone else seems to live in, but the world I live in doesn't seem to have very many reasonable people. If there were a lot of reasonable people there would be no war and everybody would agree on everything.

Thank you for your opinions, this was a very entertaining conversation. I think in the future I will stick to more innocuous subjects, like lolicon, fansubs and subs vs. dubs.

Assuming that Irish people are prone to carrying out terrorist attacks just because the IRA has done so in the past is also racial profiling. (I'm not sure if you'd call it that for someone's nationality, but whatever.)

I love that you jump to the conclusion that people are unreasonable, horrible human beings just because of some atrocities that have been committed in our world. There's no real statistic to prove that people are nicer than that, of course, so I guess I just have to settle for letting you know I think you're a little too paranoid for your own good.
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Assuming that Irish people are prone to carrying out terrorist attacks just because the IRA has done so in the past is also racial profiling. (I'm not sure if you'd call it that for someone's nationality)

Um, where did I say "Irish people"? I specifically said the IRA. And apparently you don't know the meaning of nationalism:
1. national spirit or aspirations.
2. devotion and loyalty to one's own nation; patriotism.
3. excessive patriotism; chauvinism.
4. the desire for national advancement or independence.
5. the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one's own nation, viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.
6. an idiom or trait peculiar to a nation.
7. a movement, as in the arts, based upon the folk idioms, history, aspirations, etc., of a nation.

Please read my post again
Quote:
in the name of nationalism

Also I should have clarified,
Quote:
"The Real Irish Republican Army, otherwise known as the Real IRA (RIRA) or True IRA and styling itself as Óglaigh na hÉireann (Volunteers of Ireland), is a paramilitary organisation which aims to bring about a United Ireland. The RIRA was formed in 1997 following a split in the Provisional Irish Republican Army, and is an illegal organisation in the Republic of Ireland and a designated terrorist organisation in the United Kingdom, and the United States.

And to clarify even further, I am not saying all religious cults or anti-government organizations are terrorists either. I was just giving examples that I know that there are other groups of individuals who have committed terrorist acts. I may be more paranoid than you, but really think about it. Would I be this way if the world was all flowers and hugs?

Last edited by blueharlequin on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The IRA has carried out may terrorist attacks in the name of nationalism and religion. So no, I did not think of only Muslims when it came to this argument.

This would lead one to think you also thought of....Irish people. Sorry. My bad.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:

I'll leave the evaluation of my funniness and wittiness to people with whom it will resonate (i.e. those who've had the experience of trying to have a dialog with you). But since you seem determined to persist, I guess I'll do this. The brick wall got upset and started crying anyway.

I have no idea based on what you've said in response to me so far what part of my 'opinion' you find these 'holes' in. I got "MokonaModoki is stupid", but that's about it. Without wandering off into telling other races to burn in hell or making vague references to the dictionary of gibberish, can you explain concisely what parts of my 'opinion' you are finding all these 'holes' in?

-.- that was the feeling I had gotten too. But you pretty much have an understanding, Mokona.

Thank you for clarifying in your posts earlier. I didn't have the patience or time to write (since I've been running around like a madwoman), but I think you kinda spoke a bit of my mind...

@ Britannicamore: I know exactly what you mean. People said I'm a "white girl" trapped in a black person's body because I wasn't really...act black, according to my own (immediate) family. >.>; Imagine being told that your whole life. Heh.

Not that I cared too much, but I didn't get that concept as a kid.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
@ Britannicamore: I know exactly what you mean. People said I'm a "white girl" trapped in a black person's body because I wasn't really...act black, according to my own (immediate) family. >.>; Imagine being told that your whole life. Heh.

Not that I cared too much, but I didn't get that concept as a kid.

I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. To say it has caused some complications in my life is an understatement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I think I've been lucky, I mean, everyone knows I have different interests, but they never give me crap about it now.

o_o How come they don't say things like that about Oprah? xD

I'm surprised...Ironically, my friends were always open (I was born in NY, but raised in FL for 10 years). I never had any problems with any of my buds. My friends were always "mixed," So...I guess there are a lot of differences from there.

...the effects on me...well...

It still stings every once in a while.
I'm more open minded. >.>; Everyone doesn't want me to change who I am. I wouldn't want to anyway. =)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15