• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Rancher - would you buy It?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this is a super cereal question:

Would you be willing to buy Monster Rancher on DVD, and how much would you pay for each season? (73 episodes split up into three seasons sets.)

Thanks!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Assuming it got an uncut release with the original names/story/fanservice/violence/music/etc.... sure.

I was always surprised they kept in certain things in the dub.. mainly the whole "My name is Genki, it means energy" thing and Mocchi being a Japanese sweet cake. Japanese names in a kid's show dub? Truly it was ahead of it's time.

(Though they still cut other stuff out and changed other names, but still, it's more than you can say for Pokemon and similar stuff at the time)
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:59 am Reply with quote
If it was uncut, yea, I'd get it.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
I watched the show alot as a kid, so yeah if by some miracle it got proper season sets, I'd buy it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh hell yes! I have nostalgia for it, though I wouldn't mind having the first English dub on there for nostalgia reasons. I'd probably pay $30-40 a season though, it is an older title and it's the original edited dub that I have nostalgia for.
killmyself

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I learned my lesson with stuff like this when I bought the first dvd box set of thundercats and watched like 2 episodes and never touched it again. I was more so a fan of the game than the show anyways.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
Thank you all so much!

This release would have the original Japanese audio and would be uncut, as well as the American dub.

Here's another question:
Would you only want to only buy the first season, or would you want the whole series?

(And if you haven't answered the first question, you still can: Would you be willing to buy Monster Rancher on DVD, and how much would you pay for each season?)
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
We are talking about a perfectly legitimate, legal released of the DVDs by a formal distributor of course, correct? Very Happy
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
We are talking about a perfectly legitimate, legal released of the DVDs by a formal distributor of course, correct? Very Happy

Correct!
It would be part of a new licensing deal with TMS over in Japan. Most likely the box art would be completely new, or would resemble the Japanese box art (swapping it out with the English logo), depending on the cost of that. (The Digiview and ADV box arts are probably really outdated, and just wouldn't work nowadays.)

Although due to MR being such a niche product, distribution through places like Best Buy, Target, and Barnes and Noble would never happen. Online retailer(s) is all it would be available through.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
I would certainly look forward to it then! That sounds like a great idea, though as you say, it's a rather niche title.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
Well most of us, at least around here, buy the majority of our stuff either online or at conventions because Best Buy has a limited supply of anime to begin with. Online isn't likely to be a problem for us honestly, not when it's all cheaper there too.

Hmm, now as for buying all of it...not 100% sure, see, I bought the first 4 or 5 sets of DBZ, but stopped after that. The highest number of sets that I've bought for any one show is 4, for FMA (the half season sets). You've already mentioned 3 sets, but it's also honestly been so long since I've seen the show that I can't remember how good it is. So that'd make me buy the first set, sure, but with no guarantee on the second or third sets.

At the same time, I've been entertaining the thought for years on buying the Pokemon Indigo League sets. Now there's a show I'd buy entirely on nostalgia since I love the games, but man, the show can be so inaccurate to them that it's downright annoying. But I also know that if I were, I'd likely end up buying all three. Then again, they've been out for years and are like $40MSRP a set (between $20 and $33 on amazon, naturally) but I still haven't gotten around to it, eh? Then again that's because Pokemon lacks an overall story that I so crave, if they were to do the same for Digimon, I know I'd buy that in a heartbeat because I rewatched them back in high school and still enjoyed them. Oh, but I did buy the Reboot complete set, that starts off episodic, but then got really awesome towards the end of season 2, soooo worth it!

So there's some examples of my buying habits if that helps at all since I can't be 100% sure until it comes out, sadly.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
YES! Absolutely. I used to watch the show as a kid as some of the other people in this thread have said, so it would bring a lot of entertainment for me to watch it now.

I actually feel like if they did decide to do this, it probably wouldn't even sell that bad. A lot of people would just buy it from the nostalgia aspect and want to watch it again. But there also would be younger ones that decided to start watching it too.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
It might also be worth mentioning that I've seen some people try to sell the older home video releases at high prices, so that might also indicate a waiting market for Monster Rancher. What do you guys think?
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Well most of us, at least around here, buy the majority of our stuff either online or at conventions because Best Buy has a limited supply of anime to begin with. Online isn't likely to be a problem for us honestly, not when it's all cheaper there too.

Yeah, that's probably the biggest reason why I stopped buying anime at Best Buy, and my store was one of the ones that decided to still sell anime! The interesting thing is that BB has shrunk the size of their CD display more than their anime section, but it's still pretty small.

classicalzawa wrote:
You've already mentioned 3 sets, but it's also honestly been so long since I've seen the show that I can't remember how good it is. So that'd make me buy the first set, sure, but with no guarantee on the second or third sets.

It would only be three sets - one for each season. I can't tell you how much I have the S1P1/S1P2 style of sets, because:
1. It greatly increases the cost of distribution, advertising expense, and manufacturing; and
2. It is a huge disservice to your customers, as they are being shoved around a lot more.

classicalzawa wrote:
So there's some examples of my buying habits if that helps at all since I can't be 100% sure until it comes out, sadly.

Thanks!
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
If I'm understanding this correctly, the entire series would be released on three sets? I'm even more inclined to buy it now!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5