• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big breasts ruining anime?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Dragonaut ~the resonance~ - Ok so I've been following this anime for the last five episodes. I'm not a big mech-anime fan but it looked interesting enough, the plot has so far seemingly enough substance to make for a good view; the character variety is interesting and for the most part the animation is good. However, I have an issue with the so-called "fan service". And I just wondered if anyone else shared this opinion.

See my problem is that nearly every chick apart from Toa has massive breasts. I'm not talking massive but realistic, I'm talking so big it's just ridiculous. It's not fanservice, it's not erotic, it's distracting and annoying. Every time one of said female characters appears on the screen I subconciously shake my head. I'm actually considering dropping what is otherwise a good anime just because I can no longer put up with the constant boob shots. Some of you might consider this weird? How can I not like breasts?

The thing is, they're too big to be even close to realistic, they're thrust in your face every 10 seconds (not to mention the women wearing armour that for some reason leaves their chest, the most vunerable location on their body, nearly completely exposed) and nearly every female character has them. If I wanted H I'd watch some damn H. Seriously it's too much. Does anyone else get incredibly frustrated with the several anime that have this particular problem? Or feel free to disagree with me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Big boobs have been in anime sinse... the 1970's at least? Might as well say forever.

It doesn't bother me. As a woman, I like to see ample women represented. And I actually don't see it as demeaning to my gender either. I'm also a fan of big boobs but it's purely a personal aesthetic preference Very Happy

They may not realisitic, but anime rarely portrays the human body realistically for either gender.
toomanywebcomics-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
i feel the same way some of the breast sizes are just stupid i mean come on what the hell makes animators think that anyone looks like that, or that it's the least bit attractive. That and they throw them in your face so blatantly i mean what person does that.

I had a huge problem with fan service in Ikki Tousen it had a fairly good plot but i had to keep telling myself to look for it all the time so i didn't get distracted. But Ikki Tousen is made for fan service, it's realy annoying how anime that is supposed to be serous uses fan service in that same distracting way
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Dragonaut? Razz Reminds me of Pokemon. Anyways, I think that large breasts can be unnecessary, because after a certain size it really becomes ridiculous. It doesn't make the anime any better either. It's not that I have a problem with large breasts really, it's just that generally I find them more in anime that try to compensate for their shortcomings in other places by use of fan service. Instead of having too many sexual undertones it would be better to work on the story instead!
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
some times it can be a comedic thing, but i have not seen a series that really overused large breasts. but i don;t think i would be much of a deal in a good anime where the story is interesting

i should check out this Dragonaut thing though Wink
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
It has the basis for a very good story and in all other respects I like it quite a lot, although the way episode 5 started spoiler[with a chick exploding into a mass of blood due to a failed resonance] I don't think it was made for kids. Seriously apart from this aspect of it, I like it a lot. But you really have to see it to get what I mean. The fan dis-service completely detracts from the atmosphere of the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Walker-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
My opinion is if that you don't like big breasts, don't watch anime, and find yourself a boyfriend instead, regardless of your current sex and/or preference.

Anime/Manga will always have it. Either move on, or drop out. Just keep in mind if you go with the latter, I will make fun of you for the rest of eternity.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
You know, there are plenty of great anime without large-breasted women so I don't really think your statement is very accurate.
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Walker-san wrote:
My opinion is if that you don't like big breasts, don't watch anime, and find yourself a boyfriend instead, regardless of your current sex and/or preference.

I was waiting for someone to come along and post something stupid like that. I don't have a problem with big breasts. Some people have them. Hell some guys have them. O.o

The fact is that they're _way too big_. Not just that, but they get thrust in your face _way too often_:

[Image in link may be NSFW:]
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4623/boobsjp7.png

[EDIT: Changed image to link for NSFW concerns. ~Zalis]

This is just a bunch from episode 5, there are a lot more in just that episode and in all the others too. Really what the hell. Look at the chick in the middle. What the hell.

Last edited by Skylark on Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, you'll know my evil, bearded, mirror universe equilivant has replace me if you ever hear me complaining about boobs. Laughing

The only exceptions being the totally unrealistic gross looking melons on the Eiken girls. That kind of stuff (the ones that are so massive they generate their own gravity field) is where I'd draw the line. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Walker-san wrote:

Anime/Manga will always have it. Either move on, or drop out. Just keep in mind if you go with the latter, I will make fun of you for the rest of eternity.

Rolling Eyes
Going through my own shelf that's right next me: Karas, Iria, Escaflowne, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Outlaw Star, Last Exile, Pani Poni Dash! and about 21 other series' after those do not feature girls with freakishly large breasts, and that's just my own collection, I could easily more than double that number based on just what I've seen for myself. Saying "If you don't like large breast, then don't watch anime" is pretty damn ignorant. I doubt any half-decent person would give a damn about being made fun of by someone with that mindset.

I too find the freakishly big boobs to be both pointless and unnattractive. If you're going to give me echi fan-service, then do so, but make sure that the girls look hot and appealing and not deformed, dammit. They can have big breasts without looking discustingly misshapened (Mai in My-HiME is a prime example of a busty girl who is not deformed-looking).
Deformed, massive breasts will always be in anime(unfortunately), but they're pretty easy to avoid.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, those women are so massive that it's just disgusting to me. I mean, all they are is massive balls of milk glands and fat that hang from a woman's chest, if you really want to look at it. I'd rather have medium sized but somewhat firm and perky than massive flabby looking ones that hang to the knees. Those women are gross looking in my opinion.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:

[EDIT: Changed to link again. And please don't quote images in general. ~Zalis]
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4623/boobsjp7.png

This is just a bunch from episode 5, there are a lot more in just that episode and in all the others too. Really what the hell. Look at the chick in the middle. What the hell.

...and there is a prime example of "discustingly misshapened" or "deformed" looking massive breasts. I really don't see how people would those appealing at all, bleh! Mad
countchocula86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
But see its not like just one character in the series has big uns. They all have ridiculously massive boobs!! I tried watching the first ep, but this was one of the reasons I just couldnt continue. Its too ridiculous
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
You know something is wrong with an anime when it's cast makes the girls from ikkitousen look small in comparison. I just knew this thread was going to be about Dragonaut and if I see a ugly 3d cg is ruining anime thread I'm sure Dragonaut will again be mentioned.

The main character from Witchblade (same character designer as Dragonaut) has massive tits but she still looks hot, the 3 above mentioned characters in that pic tits are waaaay bigger than the Witchblade and they just look flat out stupid.

Here's the female cast of Dragonaut

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7607/1193849153846b80bll6.jpg

Toa (pink) and jaqualine (yellow hair) are nice and big but not stupidly so like the 3 ott girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17