• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big breasts ruining anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animeboy12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
mimosa_usagi wrote:
animeboy12 wrote:

so how do you feel about the character design now?

really it dosent bother me. except for eiken now when i look at that show it really bothers me now. Confused it just looks to ugly.

Hajime99 wrote:
You gotta be kidding me ...girls check out other girls more than guys check out girls

really am i wierd for not looking at other girls boobs. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Well usually when people are complaining about anything that seems to exploit women the majority of them are women.

As much I think that Eiken was a underrated anime that mainly appealed the a certain group( including me) I have to agree the breasts were drawn pretty badly. From what I've read of the manga it's much better drawn.

sledge-daddy wrote:
wow attack of the zombie topic but i have to side with anime boy srsly? are you just really sheltered?

That's much how I think about this. I'm everyone asks like this stuff in beyond the realm of reality but give me 3 minutes and I can find at least ten girls with the same proportions naturally. Now I understand there are a lot of people who don't like or like big breasts in their anime, but calling it realistic or exaggerated, no offensive to anyone, seems naive.
mimosa_usagi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
Well usually when people are complaining about anything that seems to exploit women the majority of them are women.

As much I think that Eiken was a underrated anime that mainly appealed the a certain group( including me) I have to agree the breasts were drawn pretty badly. From what I've read of the manga it's much better drawn.

oh i see what you mean. i guess i never was the defensive type. i never really get in a huff becuase some sexy girl is "being exploited" Rolling Eyes i mean they are just cartoon characters, and even if it was a real woman as long as she is an adult she knows what she is doing. so i guess it really wont bother me as long as the drawing's look nice.

oh and in an unrelated note i will have to check out the manga now thanks for letting me know Wink
Sora/Sanctuary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
To be honest the manga is usualy better because it gives the artist more fredome to be more expresive and the art style takes more detail to make it seem realistic.

But that aside some times I do find it hard to watch anime with over sised brests. But realy only if every characture has them.
Ligene

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Gantz is the offender for me.

Only one character, ONE! But it's still damn annoying how unrealistic it is compared to the otherwise decently portioned cast. Well-endowed characters be damned, it's unnatural.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with fanservice. But when it's distasteful and tacky that's where I draw the line. You cannot have breasts twice the size of your head on a stick.
Raptor Red

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Big breasts, to me, don't ruin most anime nor do they enhance it, depending on the title. As long as the size of the breasts aren't ridiculously huge or anatomically impossible. I'm usually a sucker for fanservice, but I even have my limits too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Really depends on the show. With Grenadier I didn't mind Rushuna's chest size since overall I found the story of the show to be decent enough. But all in all I thought Rushuna was a great character in spite of her massive bosoms. On the other hand, I happened to catch Eiken and the breast size was so over the top for everyone it was just absurd. I understand in the case of Eiken it would be what they call gag boobs, but it was just a tad too much for me. As the old saying goes, more than a handful is too much. Rolling Eyes

But all in all, I guess I should really say that I don't care as long as the show has a good story. The big breasts just make it harder to get a show taken seriously if you're trying to recommend it to someone else.

Last edited by LuckySeven on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Elfen12

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, i think it's in some ways irrelavent. I've been reluctant to participate in this thread simply becuase my view isn't one i want to type up, but i feel as though i should now.

Who cares about that. That's like asking if the shoes characters wear in anime are ruining it, in all honesty. If i take the title of this thread literally, i don't see how something as miniscule of that is ruining anime. Remember, these shows are made in Japan. Remember, culture ain't all the same here. That's just a tid-bit of fact, frankly i don't even know why they put that "stuff" in there, but it may be a cultrual difference. It may be that the creaters are pervs, it may be that they want us to have this debate. Who knows, but on a grander scale who cares. If i were to literally take a side in a debate about this, i'd say that no they're not ruining anime. Look at it this way fellas, Lets set the breast aside for a second and examine every other part of anime that is sexual or perhaps misleading in the same way this may be. The following is a compilation of all the sexual... "innuendos" if you will that anime producers so kindly stick in there for us. For one, we all know the ... not cliche but commonly occuring incident where a boy is walkin' (ususaly at school down the hall) and mrs. pretty/perfect or captian sexy walken down the hall or running, and has all of her supplies in her hands (for school). She trips, she falls, she lands right on top of the boy, often in a funky position, sometimes a sexual position. Then lets also examine the clothing they wear in animes, i dont' think... that it's that revealing in all reality, but in anime they have it that way. Then there's even their voice, those girls who ... maybe we're supposed to be attracted to? for now leets just say that they're supposed to be hot... they're voices are always those high voices that just have this sense of helplessness in them you know? Then in some animes, walking into fanservice lane here, just flat out show everythin' they can at moments when it ain't ... let's use the word necessary right now, okay? at moments that may not be necessary. Now, lets look at it as whole, that's how anime is, those producers place all that "stuff" in there anime. Why, as i said before who knows, who cares. It's there right, and we're sure not the ones takin' it out. So how are the big breasts ruining it, atop of all that ohter stuff? It's just another element so to speak that they throw in there in their pile of sexual "stuff". I don't see how this, of all of them, if any of them, are ruining anime. Something would have to be a lot more significant and a problem to "ruin" anime. Somethin' like, if all the CDs we bought exploded when we opened them, that'd ruin anime woudln't you say. Or perhaps, all the characters in every anime produced now , all had the same name. Those are significant enough (they were random and off the very top of my head) to ruin anime, but big breasts in my opinion don't even come close. They're there, deal. So i ask why, after the Moe debate, Fanservice debate, all those, why start this one? Just a thought.

If we jump into feminine isle, well that's a whole different basket of apples, each with it's own shape, size, and color. But i'll save that for any rebutles that may come to mind in the future in this thread.

-Elfen12-
Lunatick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
I remember when dragonaut first came out I was fairly excited because I love dragons, and I love space anime Razz Reading some reviews, a lot of people mentioned the boobage, but I had just recently finished watching Gurren Lagann, so I kind of scoffed and said "I think I can handle it." Then I actually watched an episode and was like "OH DEAR LORD."

What made me stop watching the show, though, was not the breasts. It was Jin's annoying (former) friend constantly getting all angsty and shouting "JIIIIINNN!!!!" Dear lord, please tell me he's gotten killed off since I stopped watching. Most. Annoying. Ever.
gasteropod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I just see stupidly large breasts as a classic anime trait, it doesn't bother me at all Cool
rebecca1/2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I like breasts just fine, but when they're bigger than my head they kind of scare me.

That said, it seems kind of lame to me to let one aspect of character design ruin a whole series for you, to get stuck on that one thing. I suppose if the series doesn't have a lot more to offer, that could be different. I think some shows, comedy in particular, like Eiken, use the absurdly large breasts as a comedy device - certainly real ones that large would not bounce like a hard rubber ball, but the one girl's do in one scene.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't think very many people are letting it ruin the whole show for them. I know fan service doesn't ruin a show for me, even if the breasts are bigger than hippos. Heck, you can have a show like Grenadier where the absurdly large jugs are actually used effectively for stylistic and comedic purposes.

One thing to remember though is that anime is a visual medium, and one that is highly dependent on art, so style and design is a significant factor. While it's not gonna ruin a show for me, if I watch something that tries to be serious like Divergence Eve, but endows all its female protagonists with back breaking breasts, then it gets distracting and it makes it harder for me to take the show seriously. Will it prevent me from enjoying it? No, but it will be a detractor, I won't dispute that.

To me it feels like a gimmick, just like Hollywood maybe casting an actress like Tara Reid as a chess champion or a police captain. While it provides eye candy, it can also have an effect on the immersion value of the show or movie. Could you imagine 5cm per Second if the two female leads were given massive racks for fanservice? I don't know about you, but that is an artistic choice that just wouldn't have worked for me. Anime is a visual art form, so character design is definitely going to play a role, especially since the characters are usually the focus of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zagettrix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Breast size doesn't really to me when I'm watching anime. Sometimes it bothers me to see women with breasts that are huge in a way they shouldn't. Anime hyper
animeboy12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
@mimosa_usagi
Yea the artist design is way character and more constant so you don't get thing in anime where the girl's bra size is inconstantly change.

@Ligene
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2281/62911860bu5.jpg
this is realistic to you? They look big but nowhere unrealistic, least in my eyes.

@Raptor Red
the problem I have though is what is the limit. No matter how many times people say eiken is unrealistic, those proportions are real, uncommon but real. My problem that people can gloss over the unrealistic eyes, head, hair color, and other things but somehow breast size is an issue even though it is anatomically possible

@Elfen12
I agree with what your saying but I think why people are annoyed with breasts is that it forces a certain body type. It tells people that this type of body is sexy and that what men want. Some men might or might not agree with that. Even you though anime fans are almost male there still a large female audience how might be offended because the feel degraded by by that deciption of women. Personally, I don't know what's degrading about a smart big breasts beautiful girl, kicking ass and looking good too. And if anything it's nice to see a wide range of art styles.

Another problem is with it and fanservice in general is time wasting. Right now I'm watching Zero no Tsukaima: Princesse no Rondo. I like big breasts and this anime has them but what I don't like is interference. I mean the anime's got this great premise and world but the story moves at a snail pace because of all the long panty shots, boob gags, and the usually time fillers of the ecchi genre.

And as I said before people just don't take big-breasted girls seriously. People usually get pissed when someone brings real life in an anime discussion but I have a friend in college whose bra size was a 36 G, she was pretty thin and was pretty. She's about to get a master in college and as proud as she is of her breasts, she has noticed that she isn't getting the respect she deserves sometimes because people saw her breasts and thought "she must be a bimbo". I notice that with anime too. No matter how serious your anime if the character design doesn't look a certain way people don't take it seriously.

I don't know somebody can watch a medium like anime were were a girls with green hair, big breasts, eyes that take up 1/4 of their faces can run though the city at 50mph wearing highheels and dress and then complain the breasts are unrealistic

oh and Most women who complain about back pain because of breasts are usually wearing the wrong sized bra.
(again, sorry for grammar and spelling errors)
Raptor Red

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:

@Raptor Red
the problem I have though is what is the limit. No matter how many times people say eiken is unrealistic, those proportions are real, uncommon but real. My problem that people can gloss over the unrealistic eyes, head, hair color, and other things but somehow breast size is an issue even though it is anatomically possible

Well maybe not anatomically impossible, but more like impractical, such as like any female character with big breasts are gonna have a hard time supporting them and put a lot of strain on her back. But then again, it's all in the realm of fiction so it's not really an issue. The only function big breasts have is fanservice and it never fails to catch my attention! Anime catgrin

And on the side note, I would agree that the eyes, eye color, head, hair colors are usually overlooked and are impossible to have in real life. But let's not forget that anime and manga artists do that is because well, being in a country where all the people have black or dark brown hair and eyes, it would be hard to distinguish characters so that's why artists use every color of the color spectrum whenever they're making characters and such.

Sorry for off-topic here folks, but I just wanted to point that out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
animeboy12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Raptor Red wrote:
animeboy12 wrote:

@Raptor Red

Well maybe not anatomically impossible, but more like impractical, such as like any female character with big breasts are gonna have a hard time supporting them and put a lot of strain on her back. But then again, it's all in the realm of fiction so it's not really an issue. The only function big breasts have is fanservice and it never fails to catch my attention! Anime catgrin

And on the side note, I would agree that the eyes, eye color, head, hair colors are usually overlooked and are impossible to have in real life. But let's not forget that anime and manga artists do that is because well, being in a country where all the people have black or dark brown hair and eyes, it would be hard to distinguish characters so that's why artists use every color of the color spectrum whenever they're making characters and such.

Sorry for off-topic here folks, but I just wanted to point that out.

I think you're on topic but there are a couple problems have it with this post

I don't think that big breasts generally have to serve a purpose, maybe the character design just likes big breasted women and that's what he wants to draw. I don't think character design . (Real life again) I can look at a girl with big breasts (implants or natural) and just assume that she has big breasts because she's some attention whore.

In my opinion ecchi is more than having a big breasted girl just standing there. I hate refer because the it a crappy series but dragonaut is a good example. I remember going on boards and seeing people complain about dragonaut and most of them were legitimate compliants but there'd always be that guy how would complain that the show was too fanservicey because the of the breast size. To me this struck me as stupid because I've always view fanservice as a sexual innuendo like a guy grabbing a girls breasts, making the boing-sound with every jiggle , pulling her panties down, or the girl were just an apron or anything that looks somewhat close to sex. I thinks it's weird that somehow even if the character is pretty conservatively dress having big breasts is considered fanservice.

Also I think some big breasted characters have complained about back pain (desert punk, Mahoromatic) though the characters do it in a comedic matter and I they those character also had a tendency to use their breasts to their "advantage" but I would ask why other less niche womanly issues aren't being addressed. And like you said this is the realm of fiction. If a girl can punch though a metal wall like it's paper I don't think she's gonna be complianing about lugging some double Ds.

Well, unrealistic as those traits are I also gloss over them because there to distinguish the characters but would breasts size also be considered a trait? It does differentiate characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17