• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big breasts ruining anime?

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
If Sigmund Freud was alive and well, he would have an absolute field-day with modern society. I would love to hear his thoughts on gratuitous fanservice in Anime, as well as this obsession we men have with giant mammaries.

It likely has something to do with the biological imperative to find the best mate possible. Having big breasts implies more milk storage (and therefore greater ability to nourish potential offspring), and more fat reserves (increasing the likelihood of the women surviving a famine). Also, any women who survives long enough for her big breasts to fully mature must be adept at survival skills; when the average life span of early humans was in the twenties, having big breasts could have been a badge of honour.

But that's the boring biological side of things. What I would like to hear is Freud's view on the psychological aspect to it. Would he think that it has anything to do with his theory of the Oedipus Complex?

Anyway, for whatever reason we men are smitten with breasts, I believe that when they (the breasts) get so large as to each out-size a basketball, then it is actually a major turnoff. As the saying goes, "More than a (large) handful is a waste."

Note: I'm simply curious of what he would think for the sake of humour only; I do not treat his theories as gospel, far from it. I always thought most of his views were bonkers, to be honest. But he seems good for a laugh.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
I don't think there's ever going to be a definitive psychological reason to explain why we love boobies.

Except Eiken. I don't think there's any defense for that show.
Sodee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I think it's silly but they've always been in anime and it's become kind of... like... expected? I don't know if I'd use that word exactly but it's just something that's in anime. You deal with it or don't watch it. They're in a lot of anime so either you learn to deal with it or don't watch it at all. But I wouldn't sacrifice a good show because of it.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Look at "Desert Punk" the main character can't resist looking at another woman's breast if they're larger than his head, but this issue is just to make the show amusing so it doesn't bother me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17