• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big breasts ruining anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
Guys there's no need to come to fisticuffs over it. psycho 101: In case you didn't read, I'm still watching the show because I do like the story. But really the boob thing is driving me up the wall. I actually don't have a problem with the cg, although Westlo you are 100% correct that blue drop kicks the dragonaut cg in the nuts. My beef is less with the anime and more with the animator. Seriously if you watch episode 5 it's just... hard to watch.

Quote:
I'm watching Dragonaut too. The story's kind of interesting, but yeah those are huge melons. I just ignore them and try to focus on the story. The story's already complicated with those weird terms so I try to forget about the melons,

That's pretty much how I'm watching it now; but really when you're watching an anime you shouldn't have to push giant oversized breasts out of your mind. Animation should _never_ prevent someone from enjoying anime. psycho, no matter what you say (and I mean no offense), if I _just_ wanted a plot I would read a book. Or a light novel or visual novel, both of which I occasionally also dabble. I watch anime for more than just plot.

Plot, however, does rank highly in my weighting and that's why I'm still putting up with the ridiculous oversized jugs. I put up with Speed Grapher's (IMO) awful animation because the story was excellent. But there are other factors and if it's annoying me so much that I can't even be told the story because I'm too busy thinking of methods with which to vent my anger on the animator, I'm going to drop the anime. Period.

That said, I posted this mainly because episode 5 was _significantly_ worse boob-wise than the others in the series so far.

Everyone has opinions so it's rather silly to argue them; most people don't change their opinions and it's just going to lead to some stupid bickering. I know the topic is a little... er, provocative? But that doesn't mean we have to all jump down each others throats.

EDIT: Though can I also mention that I think it's funny that the normally-drawn characters don't cast a second glance at these inhumanly huge jugs, which I find amusing (especially since the scientist chick is usually popping out of the top of hers).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
EDIT: Though can I also mention that I think it's funny that the normally-drawn characters don't cast a second glance at these inhumanly huge jugs, which I find amusing (especially since the scientist chick is usually popping out of the top of hers).

Yeah it's kinda hilarious, was it episode 2 or 3 where that scientis chick used the video link up to the main base while in her car? 80% of the video link screen was full of her massive cleavage and you would think the guy in charge was listening to an audio only communication.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the series mainly being discussed, but I do find the massive breasts some characters have in other series to be a bit too much. Of course, I'm also more of a small bust size kind of guy. Sometimes the character designers really have a little too much fun with the whole thing and, in my opinion, it goes from fanservice to fansmothering.

A little fanservice is great. I like fanservice as much as the next guy, assuming the next guy is a bit of a pervert, but there's a point where it goes from "oh, nice!" to "okay, knock it off so I can enjoy the plot!"

I don't think huge breasted characters are ruining anime, but too much of anything can ruin a good thing. There are still plenty of series that don't have that and I suggest that anyone bothered by over-the-top breasts might want to disregard all the "it'll make you pedo!" claims and watch something with the younger looking character designs. Generally speaking, characters that have a more "loli" look don't have Watermellon Chest Syndrome.
Walker-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
=_=

Some anime has it. Some doesn't. Anime in general, you'll always find it.

If you don't want big breasts, then find a series that doesn't have them.

It isn't quantum physics, people.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
The OP and myself are not complaining about big breasts, we're complaining about ridiculous and completely over the top breasts that are so fing big they look flat out stupid.

Witchblade is good, Ikku is good, Dragonaut is *face palm*
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of Grenadier. The animation was okay, but the sound effects sounded cheap, and the main thing for the episodes was to show Rushuna reloading her gun with the bullets from her cleavage. In some episodes, she even fights naked. With a chest her size, it just...really doesn't work. It's hard to take the series seriously.

Take one scene were she hugs a guy to forgive him after a fight. It's supposed to be dramatic and heartfelt, but since the guy is going face-first into DD-sized breasts (and he starts crying), it's hard to take it seriously.

Big breasts are okay, but don't just throw 'em around like in Eiken. Make them look right, like in Witchblade.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Reminds me of Grenadier.

Make them look right, like in Witchblade.

Grenadier really didn't phase me and how could you not like the best reloading gun scene ever???

As for Witchblade I agree, the sad thing is ... Dragonaut has the same character designer, clearly he didn't get "any" in the year that came in between Witchblade and Dragonaut.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
About Grenadier. I saw a preview of it from somewhere and I thought it looked interesting, until the preview showed a bath scene with the main character and her huge melons. That's when I thought "Nope".

I know I said huge melons don't bother me, but I really can't force myself to watch Grenadier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned Divergence Eve yet...

Over the top character design (e.g. boobs the size of space hoppers) is generally pretty distracting / annoying unless it's done for comedic effect.
Personally though, I'd much rather watch anime women with unattractively inflated chests than anime women designed to look like "sexy" eight year olds but if either extreme (or both extremes) bother you, there's plenty of shows featuring more realistically proportioned characters.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:

See, I think thats the problem. A series with some potential isnt worth the trouble because those boobs are so oversized. I mean is it something in the water, whats going on!
covah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
honestly, I think dragonaut's boobs are so big that they're laughable. The show as a whole is pretty okay, the boobs don't do anything for or against it in my point of view.
retty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
I've seen a few things where the big breasts are annoyingly big, but nowhere near as big as the ones shown on page 1 of this thread. Those are seriously insane breasts. They would kill your back and really hurt every time you walked, let alone do anything else.

I always find it annoying that they have these really skinny girls with huge breats, even school girls. Some, rarely, will be skinny and have big breats, but if you believe anime then half the female population of Japan has had a mega boob-job.

Personally, I don't think I'd enjoy watching painfully huge boobs even if I was gay or a guy, it's just unnatural. But in general I get used to it once I settle into a series, and it becomes part of the fun of anime. Razz
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I think flat-chested girls are a far greater danger to anime Razz

Lolicon blah blah sexualize little girls blah blah pedobear blah blah Chris Hansen blah blah numa numa yey.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Walker-san wrote:

Are you supposedly contributing or just talking at people? The point is that some generally interesting or good anime have to have characters with massive breasts that detract from the level of the show. We are agreeing, disagreeing and discussing this instead of just saying "duh avoid the crap you don't like". It's not as simple as that.

That hugeness in size, especially when no one in the actual anime seems to notice(the total defintion of fan service), isn't needed. Eiken's been pointed out a couple times here and atleast in that, although I only saw 1 episode I think, there is almost NOTHING serious or no point to watch it other than some comedy and their breast size. I forget if it was actually funny though.

That's like going to watch Eva and when Shinji rides the unit with Asuka, he starts getting slapped around with her enormous breasts that defy physics. I don't think that would work especially well.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
To put this blunt big breast don't ruin anime. It's usually cover up a already ruined show. When I see that the breast is riduculous size in a trailer that a big clue to stay away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17