• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Bandai Entertainment Inc. to Release Kadokawa's Anime Series, Lucky Star

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
Meh, I think this falls into the "wait for the boxset" category for me.

I think it may be good enough to own, but not enough to put down $150 on.

No, they need to take advantage of the part of the fanbase that is willing to cough up anything to own the series. Add in some extras like a free Chocolate Cornet, a Suzumiya Haruhi poster, a bonus 30 minute long Lucky Channel Special DVD produced specifically for the North American release and a redeemable ticket for a Kadokawa manga product of the purchasers choice and charge $400 for the boxset.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The show is an "acquired taste," but it's really great! I like to think of it as the "Seinfeld" of anime: a show about nothing that's actually about everything; and it's funny. Anime hyper
Banshou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I kinda feel Wendee Lee is better cut out for Kagami than Konata...

I'm I the only one who thinks Lara Miller would actually make a decent Konata?

They could just use Lee when Konata goes Haruhi...

Obviously they would need to have Sam Regal as Minoru(how else would anyone recognise "I for for forgot my bag~") and Johnny Yong Bosch as Ono...

It'd be nice as well as a show of good faith if Minami was played by Michelle Ruff although that part isn't as critical Minoru, and it probably wouldn't make a difference if Goto were done by Stephanie Sheh, since nobody would recognise her doing a low voice (except for Mamimi and Guu, but they're not related to the series as much)

The real question though is what do about segments featuring the voices of Sora and Potato...
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It took five or six episodes for me to really start liking this show (the six-minute snack conversation in episode 1 was a bit much), but it just kept getting better and better. Note that they fired the director after episode 4, so don't judge it too much by the early episodes. Like Azumanga Daioh, it's an acquired taste and takes a bit of getting into, but it's great fun, especially if you're also a Haruhi fan. Smile

If you didn't like Haruhi or AD, odds are you won't like this either. But I'm definitely going to buy it.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Banshou wrote:

Obviously they would need to have Sam Regal as Minoru(how else would anyone recognise "I for for forgot my bag~")

Now that's going to be confusing, seeing as Minoru is a real guy and all.

Are we going to get Sam dubbing the bad singing on the endings as well? :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I really like Lucky Star, but I can see it polarizes people. It's an aquired taste.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
The show is an "acquired taste," but it's really great! I like to think of it as the "Seinfeld" of anime: a show about nothing that's actually about everything; and it's funny. Anime hyper

Some people simply won't like it no matter how much they see and others will like it right from the start. But there seems to be a good number of people like you and me for who it was an "acquired taste." It was only mildly interesting for me at first and it wasn't until around episode 8 or so that I really started liking it, and it just got better from there.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
From what little I've seen of it (mostly other people showing random episodes and clips at club), I found it somewhat interesting. Not going the singles route on this one, though.
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
HyperGatack wrote:
DO. NOT. WANT.

This show is just bad. They spend ten minutes talking about how they eat their snacks in the first episode. The music that plays sounds like its supposed to be the most hilarious you've ever heard.

I'm very surprised that Lucky Star will get an US release. The comment from HyperGatack was exactly why I didn't think there will be an US release.

The show itself is very Japanese.... jokes only make sense in Japanese, jokes only make sense if you are an otaku... you need to have a very deep understanding of the whole otaku culture to fully appreciate this show. Being an anime fan for more than 15 years, I still don't get some of the jokes in the show.

Lucky Star is HUGE in Japan though. It's a show made for otaku only. US release.... hmm.... good for them... but I think its best to leave it un-dubbed.... Whoever is translating the script is going to have a hard time translating the jokes into English.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
subaru wrote:
Lucky Star is HUGE in Japan though. It's a show made for otaku only. US release.... hmm.... good for them... but I think its best to leave it un-dubbed.... Whoever is translating the script is going to have a hard time translating the jokes into English.
Please do not start a sub vs. dub debate.
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Nice.

Someone needs to license Hayate the Combat Butler, then 2008 will rock. ^^
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Nice.

Someone needs to license Hayate the Combat Butler, then 2008 will rock. ^^

If Hayate gets licensed then the anime world in the US would rock period! That is now my favorite comedy!
Kagamin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
I love Lucky Star! Thank you Kadokawa and Bandai for bringing one of the best series of 2007 to R1.Very Happy I am really excited that Lucky Star is getting an R1 DVD release and I am really looking forward to owning the DVDs. Lucky Star was my favorite series from the Spring Season and it is one of my all-time favorite anime. I hope that Bandai gives Lucky Star the same treatment that they gave Haruhi and release limited edition DVDs and all of the CDs from the series. I own all of the LE Haruhi DVDs and all of the Haruhi character albums. I would like to be able to do the same with Lucky Star.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:43 am Reply with quote
Subaru wrote:
That's what they said about Azumanga Daioh, Excel Saga, Paniponi Dash, and maybe Nadesico, and all of those got dubbed in English. Granted, those were all by a certain company other than Bandai / Bang Zoom, but I think they can make it work. Nobody will understand everything, but a lot of people appreciated Lucky Star even in the fansub version that didn't put up notes for in-jokes. And a lot of those in-jokes reference series that've been well-known in fansubs and/or DVD releases over here, such as FMP, Air, Kanon, Shuffle, Haruhi, Code Geass, and Initial D. Sure, not everyone will catch the Da Capo musical montage or the anime about "pets who come back as girls to serve their Master." (I knew the series title, but I didn't know that Aya Hirano made her VA debut in it until dormcat pointed it out to me.) Now, if Bandai would include a few inserts or notes in the Extras, I'm sure they could expand people's horizons and make Lucky Star a bit more accessible.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote
So does this mean it's licensed for the US?

If that's the case then I knew it was coming sooner or later. After all 'Bandai' did release 'Haruhi' so 'Lucky Star' wasn't far behind.

I can see why many people don't like this show. I sort of felt a bit this way. Comparing it to like 'Azumanga Daioh' it's a little on the "cultural" side of things. Which would require one to kind of put more effort into it to get the jokes. That's why it's called "slice of life" comedy. So again it's not for everyone. I gave it a shot and I like it. The first half is a little slow but the rest does pick up. And I did find myself laughing hysterically. More than likely it will be on my wishlist.

Again like I said it's not for everyone. So if this is not you're your cup of tea then just do yourself a favor and leave it alone. You're doing the right thing. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5