• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Bandai Entertainment Inc. to Release Kadokawa's Anime Series, Lucky Star

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
So does this mean it's licensed for the US?

We chose not to use that term because it is technically inaccurate. But effectively yes, that's what it means.

-t
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
So does this mean it's licensed for the US?

We chose not to use that term because it is technically inaccurate. But effectively yes, that's what it means.

-t

Thanks tempest, for the update.

But this is interesting that Kadokawa is doing it this time. So how is this going to work? Since 'Bandai' has the rights to it will 'Kadokawa' be handling the distribution or will 'Bandai'? And why didn't 'Bandai' handle this in the usual manner? Kadokawa holds rights for 'The Third' but 'TRSI' along with their studio is 'Nozomi' is handling distribution for the series.
calawain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Kadokawa in effect outsources the actual work to other companies I believe would be an apt comparison. They did the same thing with Haruhi, which is also being handled by Bandai. It kind of just adds a middleman, but in the end has little effect, Bandai will be the company doing the actual work on the title.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
Kadokawa in effect outsources the actual work to other companies I believe would be an apt comparison. They did the same thing with Haruhi, which is also being handled by Bandai. It kind of just adds a middleman, but in the end has little effect, Bandai will be the company doing the actual work on the title.

Ah, ok. I think I see it now. Kind of what 'Geneon' and 'Toei' did awhile back. If that's a decent comparison.

I guess we can expect some crazy-assed extra goods with the releases.
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I sincerely hope for their sake that they release the first two DVDs at the same time, or at least a setup where they pass those AWFUL first 4 episodes.
I liked Lucky Star a lot, and stuck with it to the end, but a good chunk of people who hate the show watched those dreadful first 4 episodes (I even hated it during those first 4 episodes!). First impressions can make or break a series.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And a lot of those in-jokes reference series that've been well-known in fansubs and/or DVD releases over here, such as FMP, Air, Kanon, Shuffle, Haruhi, Code Geass, and Initial D. Sure, not everyone will catch the Da Capo musical montage or the anime about "pets who come back as girls to serve their Master." (I knew the series title, but I didn't know that Aya Hirano made her VA debut in it until dormcat pointed it out to me.)

But (to my knowledge at least) this is one of the first anime to constantly use the fact that certain characters have the same voice actors as other ones as the in-joke. Not just Haruhi, but FMP, Keroro, Air, Shirashi, etc. I guess they could just translate it and ignore that fact, but it would lose some of it's context.

Avacado Burger wrote:
I sincerely hope for their sake that they release the first two DVDs at the same time, or at least a setup where they pass those AWFUL first 4 episodes.
I liked Lucky Star a lot, and stuck with it to the end, but a good chunk of people who hate the show watched those dreadful first 4 episodes (I even hated it during those first 4 episodes!). First impressions can make or break a series.

Yeah... if I didn't know anything about the show beforehand, I probably would have stopped watching at the long "let's discuss food while in class" scene.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Nice.

Someone needs to license Hayate the Combat Butler, then 2008 will rock. ^^
Geneon has the license in Japan for the DVDs, so that MAY mean Geneon will license it (whenever they fix their distrib problems)
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Nice.

Someone needs to license Hayate the Combat Butler, then 2008 will rock. ^^

oh my

took the words right outta my mouth

AND

it would even rock if it was subcontracted to the RIGHT company, which i would guess ADV or FUNi would handle it at its best.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I guess we can expect some crazy-assed extra goods with the releases.

Hasn't happened with the R2s - all you get is a BGM/Radio CD and a minigame CD-ROM with each set of two episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
Kenji_Ikari wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
And a lot of those in-jokes reference series that've been well-known in fansubs and/or DVD releases over here, such as FMP, Air, Kanon, Shuffle, Haruhi, Code Geass, and Initial D. Sure, not everyone will catch the Da Capo musical montage or the anime about "pets who come back as girls to serve their Master." (I knew the series title, but I didn't know that Aya Hirano made her VA debut in it until dormcat pointed it out to me.)

But (to my knowledge at least) this is one of the first anime to constantly use the fact that certain characters have the same voice actors as other ones as the in-joke. Not just Haruhi, but FMP, Keroro, Air, Shirashi, etc. I guess they could just translate it and ignore that fact, but it would lose some of it's context.

I missed most of the VA jokes (I only knew that Aya Hirano, Konata's VA, voiced Lumiere [Kiddy Grade] and Haruhi [Haruhi Suzumiya]) but the show was still damn funny... well, after the first few episodes. But the VA jokes aren't necessary for the show to be funny.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quote
Not many will read this considering its on the fourth page, but w/e.
I just got my dvd 4 special box of SHnY (or TMoHS for you english name likers) and yes on the first dvd (not the special extra dvd) there is a trailer for it. It appears to be exactly the same as the one shown on youtube (albiet better quality of course). Just a confirmation.
As a side note the dvd also has the full ending of SHnY with all the extra animation added, which is a big plus.
(Oh and yes I know I got it 2 days early, it actually shipped on the 30th from RightStuf so it was several days early. I love how RightStuf ships early sometimes if you pre-order.)
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh sweet! They have a MySpace on it too! Man! I don't wanna wait til 2008!
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Another series for me to spend my limited funds on, although I won't bother with the LE DVDs (WHEN they make them). Haruhi's LEs were only good for the broadcast order, IMHO (Well, maybe the cosplay headband and armband. And the CDs. And... Alright, everything was worth it, though the pillowcases were a little bit hard to explain to my parents).

I have no real idea what BE could stuff into a Lucky Star LE, but I'm pretty sure it won't be as series-related as the Haruhi collectibles. (I'm always open to figures or a step-by-step OP dance video, or a karaoke section for the ending songs so you can belt out with your friends/lone self... :3)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
If they're gonna get anything from Kadokawa, I'd rather it be Tokikake.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The press release wrote:
Like Haruhi, Lucky Star has a fantastic soundtrack and the songs and music have been very popular in Japan.

I disagree that Haruhi had a fantastic soundtrack. Smile Certainly the music was popular, but I think that was the result of the mass fandom, rather than the music actually being good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5