• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2007-11-07

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
I've never had a request quite this extreme but I'm one of the many who was asked for a commission of a pair of characters "covered in glue"....

... I've had nearly the same request. I hope this isn't some new fetish-trend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rocklobster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
I loved the artist's reaction too. This is a pretty good comic so far. Keep up the hilarious work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
Geezus. Quite an image. And all I've ever asked was for Eva-01 fighting the Grimace.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Geezus. Quite an image. And all I've ever asked was for Eva-01 fighting the Grimace.

Holy shit, I would do that for free. That is a glorious idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to look at this earlier.

It's getting better and better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pokota3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

As for it being stereotypical, unfortunately stereotypes are based on truths. In no way does the comic suggest that all anime fans are like that, but it does suggest that some of them are. And as I said above, I've met the 350lbs sweaty, undeodorized, lolita obsessed anime fans, along with the 350lbs sweaty, undeordorized, yaoi-obsessed anime fans.

-t

This is EXACTLY why stereotypes shouldn't be used in this way. It is too easy to assume that all of this comes together in a package, which is often not true. Stereotypes caused many of the injustices in the past century, that and people hearing one thing and assuming WAY too much.

Best Wishes,
Pokota
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Pokota3 wrote:
Quote:

As for it being stereotypical, unfortunately stereotypes are based on truths. In no way does the comic suggest that all anime fans are like that, but it does suggest that some of them are. And as I said above, I've met the 350lbs sweaty, undeodorized, lolita obsessed anime fans, along with the 350lbs sweaty, undeordorized, yaoi-obsessed anime fans.

-t

This is EXACTLY why stereotypes shouldn't be used in this way. It is too easy to assume that all of this comes together in a package, which is often not true. Stereotypes caused many of the injustices in the past century, that and people hearing one thing and assuming WAY too much.

Best Wishes,
Pokota

Maybe I'm being insensitive, but I'm pretty sure that making fun of an anime nerd doesn't really put it on the same level as "many of the injustices in the past century."

It's entirely possible that you're taking this WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Pokota3 wrote:
Quote:

-t

The way I see it is:

One stereotype (perverted) = funny
Several stereotypes (perverted, fat, sweaty, lacking in hygiene, glasses) = funnier

Would the strip still be funny if the guy was normal looking? Sure. But since he's a bundle of all other nasty stereotypes that can be applied, not just to anime fans, but to anyone who uses the internet regularly in general, it's even funnier, just because of how much more ridiculous the situation is.

....Not that I haven't been asked to draw some weird things before. That was by friends, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:53 am Reply with quote
You're ******* me... no way is that true... gods please tell me it ain't true Shocked
Surely no one is that sick and twisted???

That poor woman... scarred for life I would wager.
Pokota3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's just that I see no humor in this, just revulsion. I won't make any further comments (can't stand to see the comic on the way in).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Pokota3 wrote:
can't stand to see the comic on the way in

What?

Nothing about that sentence makes any sense at all.
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Brilliant....Grimace is a formidable foe, as is the Hamburglar.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, this made me laugh really, really hard, particularly the part where he says one of them is embarrassed, so they should be crying. But the whole thing was just hilarious. I feel bad for whoever this happened to...
pcnerdjack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
"just saw that image in mind"
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
OH GOD SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM THIS HORIFIYING THOUGHT!!!! FOR GOD SAKES FREDDY JUST COME OUT AND KILL ME!!!!!!!!!!!
wow, i had an internet episode.
freezespell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

What about the 350lbs sweaty, undeodorized doesn't-like-physical-movement-of-any-kind-that-doesn't-involve-using-his-thumbs-when-playing-a-RPG-or-lifting-his-arm-when-stuffing-his-face-with-junk-food anime fans? Those kind of people make me feel better about myself and if any of you say that you don't feel the same, then you're lying.

Otakuboy T wrote:
It's fat stinky anime fans like that who give us anime fans who just happen to be fat and not stinky a bad name.

Not to mention every other anime fan in general that's given a bad name because of those slobby stinkfactories.

SakechanBD wrote:
Pokota3 wrote:
Quote:

-t

Best Wishes,
Pokota

Maybe I'm being insensitive, but I'm pretty sure that making fun of an anime nerd doesn't really put it on the same level as "many of the injustices in the past century."

It's entirely possible that you're taking this WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

Yeah. The only seriousness you're seeing up to this point is the effort being put in to construct this post. And besides, it's just a comic, so chill out.

Murasakisuishou wrote:
The way I see it is:

One stereotype (perverted) = funny
Several stereotypes (perverted, fat, sweaty, lacking in hygiene, glasses) = funnier

Would the strip still be funny if the guy was normal looking? Sure. But since he's a bundle of all other nasty stereotypes that can be applied, not just to anime fans, but to anyone who uses the internet regularly in general, it's even funnier, just because of how much more ridiculous the situation is.

I have a recurring character in my own webcomic that's just like that guy except he's not as fat or sweaty as he is, but that's another story for another day.

Nermal wrote:
Brilliant....Grimace is a formidable foe, as is the Hamburglar.

What about Birdie or CosMc? I'm sure they could give Ronald McDonald a run for his money, too.

That's enough quotes for one post. I thought it was very funny and really makes you think that there are people out there that really do make those kind of creepy requests. It's also people like him that keep me from going to a con. Another reason would be that I live in the middle of nowhere in a town of just over 500 people where the nearest hospital is a good 20-mile drive. Maybe Nina will show up in the next comic to help the artist out since she gave Nina a couple of encouraging words in an earlier strip.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7