• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Manga Scholar Wins Fulbright Fellowship

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
That's totally awesome!! This is a great step for those of us who are interested in anime/manga art history! Congratulations to her, and good luck to her on her book!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
BTW - if any of you out there are educators or in education administration there is a Fulbright Scholarship that will pay for you to go overseas to Japan for 3 weeks. Here's the link. . .

http://www.iie.org/Website/WPreview.cfm?WID=194
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
After I have a few good years of teaching under my belt I plan to try for the teacher program. It would be an awesome opportunity to return to Japan and have real hands-on time in Japanese schools.

I often tell my high school students that Japanese students have to clean up their classroom themselves in hopes it'd inspire them... unfortunately, my students are still ridiculously messy individuals.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
Go Frenchy! The Schoolgirls and Mobile Suits conference is awesome, and if the book goes half as deep as that conference did in blurring the lines between commercial art and fine art, it will be an amazing book.
mlund

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Very cool, I remember about half a decade ago, when I was back in college at Bentley and Chris Kohler was over at Tufts University. He got a Fulbright award and wound up in Japan doing research on the Japanese video game industry. He published his own book and he's been doing great things for Wired for a few years now.

Fulbright fellowships to go to Japan are definitely nothing to sneeze at if you use them right.

- Marty Lund
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1