• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eric P. Sherman, President of Bang Zoom! Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildcat70

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We're also finishing the first season of When They Cry.

I wonder if this means somehow we will get DVD 4+5 of When They Cry
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
lscoresby wrote:
AlucardZero wrote:
Seirei no Moribito? I cannot say DO WANT emphatically enough. When can I preorder? PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY

Agreed.

I've been in denial that I may not get the rest of my Saiunkoku DVDs or Guardian of the Sacred Spirit. Very good to hear at least one of those projects is still alive.

crilix wrote:
SERIOUSLY, who cares you're losing control over your product. If fansubs equal increased sales, you should embrace them rather than recite over and over and over again how bad they are, but at the same time throw in a few good words so the majority of fans don't start hating on your company.

He never said fansubs equal increased sales. He said, "they help promote the show." But they DO NOT increase sales. They DECREASE them. If you pay attention, they acknowledge that fansubs threaten the anime industry itself in the U.S. Would you like anime to die in the U.S.? I sure wouldn't. Not when Geneon's license helped support the production of Serei No Moribito in Japan.

I agree. Take his example with Haruhi for instance. Lots of people that I've met have seen it but only a few bothered to buy any of it. Decreased sales due to the various things he mentioned are why we're seeing production being done in Singapore and other companies that are strictly subtitling certain shows and not even investing in a dubbed version.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Paploo wrote:
I'm guessing the companies they deal with now would be Bandai and MB [have they done Manga Ent. dubs? The number of companies without inhouse dubbing has really decreased]
They have done a few dubs for Manga, Tokko and Karas.
Both of which are quite good, although the Karas one is surprisingly awesome. I had no idea Mathew Lillard could act that well. (No, I'm really serious, he sounded great.)

I'm extremely happy to hear that BangZoom's continuing their work on Rozen Maiden and When They Cry. RM's one of my personal favorites and I desperately want to hear more, like Megu's voice, Kanaria's fight scenes, and the last battle in the Alice Game. When They Cry turned into a surprise favorite and I can't wait to hear and see more.

I only wish he'd listed all the Geneon related titles they were still working on.

I'm going to stay away from the fansubs issue except to say that my opinon and Mr. Sherman's aren't much different.

About AnimeTV: They are doing their own series a bit much, but any anime related product is going to be put out by an anime company. It's not like HBO is dying to interview Wendee Lee about Haruhi or discuss the true meaning of EVA. BangZoom has more access to their own products so it's not surprising they've talked about thier own products.

In time, I'm sure we'll see things even out a bit more.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Looks like BZE has got Lucky Star. Hardly a surprise. I honestly find it hard to believe that we have more anime fans and fewer actual anime consumers. I have 785 domestic anime DVD titles! At an average of $27.00 per title, that's $21,195.00 I've spent on anime over the last 7 years that I've been into it. I've been to 3 cons within the span of that time. So I'm in a minority of anime fans who pay for his goods?
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:
Looks like BZE has got Lucky Star. Hardly a surprise. I honestly find it hard to believe that we have more anime fans and fewer actual anime consumers. I have 785 domestic anime DVD titles! At an average of $27.00 per title, that's $21,195.00 I've spent on anime over the last 7 years that I've been into it. I've been to 3 cons within the span of that time. So I'm in a minority of anime fans who pay for his goods?

Basically yes, you're in the minority. I think one of the primary reasons for this phenomena we've been seeing for a while now (increased fanbase and decreased sales) is that the new blood is either completely unwilling to pay for what they can get for free (Radiohead's little experiment proved that) or they can't afford it. I sincerely mean that, because teenagers are discovering anime in greater and greater droves and they don't have jobs (admittedly some may have babysitting and allowances, but this is small change) to pay for it. I myself only recently got my first part time job so I can finally afford to finance my addictions (anime, video games, manga, ect.). Before that, however, all I had was $10 a week, birthday and Christmass presents, and occaisonal odd jobs I could do for neighbors and family. As a result, I had to split my money between anime and everything else I spent it on: clothes, video games, manga, American books, and various activities with my friends (movies, paintball, arcades, etc.).

Now, that left very little money for anime, but I still bought what I could or asked people to get it for me (Christmass and my birthday). Particularly manga because it's cheap, but I got anime DVDs when I had enough cash saved up. The sad part is that almost none of my friends (who are anime/manga fans) buy anime or manga on the regular basis that I do. Most torrent the anime and either borrow the manga or get a scantalation. Do I try and persuade them to spend more? Of course. The problem is that few of them have jobs and the ones who do are already entrenched in the fansub mentality. Furthermore, they not afraid of lawsuits from the companies because they all find the concept of being fined for downloading anime completely ridiculous. The incident with Odex? Laughed off as something that could "never happen to me".

This way of thinking is only going to spread as the industry loses cash from old fans who've either moved on or turned to fansubbing and new fans who either spend nothing or very little. IMHO, it's going to take one hell of a crackdown in order to change my generation's (and others of course) spoiled attitude, although it will be funny when it happens.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:
So I'm in a minority of anime fans who pay for his goods?

Sadly yes, people like us are getting fewer and further from being the norm. I won't get into all the arguments about fansubs, we've all heard em before, so it's nothing new and doesn't warrant another full thread of arguments.

I can only do my share of supporting the Anime I enjoy, and have to hope the best for the rest.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
The fansub remark is just a small portion of the interview so let's try not to focus this thread on that entirely especially considering we've already recently had to lock a talkback thread as the debate was going nowhere and getting out of hand.

Since it was discussed in the interview obviously it can't be avoided, but if you must talk about it keep it related to what was discussed in the interview regarding fansubs and keep the whole ethics and freedoms arguments that only end up going nowhere to a minimum.

DO NOT IGNORE THE MODERATORS
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
The fansub remark is just a small portion of the interview so let's try not to focus this thread on that entirely especially considering we've already recently had to lock a talkback thread as the debate was going nowhere and getting out of hand.

Since it was discussed in the interview obviously it can't be avoided, but if you must talk about it keep it related to what was discussed in the interview regarding fansubs and keep the whole ethics and freedoms arguments that only end up going nowhere to a minimum.

DO NOT IGNORE THE MODERATORS

Sorry if it seems like I'm being defensive but I just wanted to clarify my position.

I have no intention of ignoring what Keonym said and starting a debate on fansubs morality. I was trying to do exactly what he (she? I can't remember) said and address the issue in terms of the interview. That is, my opinion on why the fansub community is growing out of control so fast yet anime dvd sales are down. I didn't say anything about watching fansubs being right or wrong (admittedly I did imply that it hurts the industry, but that is a widely accepted idea already expressed in the interview) and I really don't want another pointless 20 page debate.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
It's too bad I didn't hear of Zero's Familiar. I was hoping that this release would continue and that BZE had that one too. BZE and Animaze continue to be my favorites among studios, followed by the defunct Coastal then Industrial Smoke & Mirrors. I hope they can weather this storm, especially in light of the proliferation of Japanese sub only releases, Shanghai and Singapore dubs. I'd have to disagree with Sherman about the Ocean dubs though. Yuck!

Last edited by khryoleoz on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
I thought it was a great interview over all, and it was nice to get a glimpse of the views of someone in his position. I was especially pleased to hear him speak confidently about Bang Zoom!'s prospects for weathering the uncertainty of the Geneon situation.

Some of the guests at Oni-con recently made it sound like they thought that the Geneon news had rendered New Generation a sinking ship going down fast. A little insight into the industry can be nice, but hearing these things from actors often makes me wonder if it is just panic in the ranks.
Nermal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quote
Seirei no Moribito....that's all I wanted to hear.
zeno99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:49 am Reply with quote
I think in the near future there won't be an American anime industry. After the collapse, the only way to get anime will be through fansubs.
TheVok

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it upsetting that this is work that could be going to you, but instead it's going to foreign companies that are doing it for a much lower price?

What a laughable question.

Dude, in relation to Japan where the shows are produced, we nations where English dubbing takes place are all foreign countries.

How is the U.S. not foreign but Singapore or Canada is?!
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote
? I don't get what's laughable about the question. We're talking about Region one (which in the context of anime consumers is essentially English speaking and largely a US demographic) releases of anime. Why wouldn't a US production company be in a preferred position to handle the dubbing if we were after quality, given that they have an overall better track record compared to those "foreign" companies? The question doesn't even say "should", which assumes a right for BZE to get the work, but "could". And I agree.

Last edited by khryoleoz on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
calawain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Well, honestly, Magic Knight Rayearth, obviously. Rurouni Kenshin, Last Exile and Samurai Champloo… I'm also very proud of Chobits. I feel the dub was very true to the original… and I think Crispin Freeman is the reason for that."

I haven't seen the first at all and I watched the subs for Kenshin and Chobits, but the dubs for Last Exile and Samurai Champloo were great. Chobits I watched the dub for an episode and didn't really like it.

Quote:
"I'll take the last one first. Yes, we are still working on Geneon titles. One of them is Rozen Maiden, we're finishing up the second season. We're also finishing the first season of When They Cry. We're also just getting started on Seirei no Moribito."

I guess they still have a contract for it even if Geneon is dying off and won't release it, it would be cheaper to let Bang Zoom finish it then try and breach the contract and suffer whatever liquidated damages they put in it for such a breach.

Quote:
"Speaking of the health of the industry, we have more and more fans, but DVD sales are going down. Some speculate that it has to do with the sum total of Japan's animated output being hosted on unauthorized torrent sites for free, and bootlegs. Given that that seems to be the way things are moving – we have more fans than ever, but fewer actual consumers – how big a concern is that for a studio like yours?"

Now if that's not a loaded question I don't know what is, what a joke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6