• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eric P. Sherman, President of Bang Zoom! Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
Um, I will dispute a couple of those shows. Clannad- spoiler[first off Sunohara is always fighting back against Tomoyo, regardless of whether or not she is a girl.]

Clannad had a preview that featured poor Sunohara getting 100-Burst-Kicked by Tomoya.

Quote:
Lucky Star- spoiler[Shiraishi goes berserk and nearly attacks his LC partner while destroying the set near the end of she series.]

spoiler[During the 21st episode? Why not the second? Why not the first?]

Quote:
Hayate no Gotoku- I'm not sure how his character is man hating, he's quite courageous and constantly puts himself in danger to protect Nagi and anyone else he feels is in danger. I feel he is an extremely strong willed character.

Hayate no Gotoku is one of those gag shows; willing to go at any lengths to squeeze out pain and humiliation in order to make the fanbase laugh. The creator of the manga series said it herself that she wants her story to be a Shakespearian tragic comedy.

Quote:
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- There are plenty of instances where Kyon stands up to Haruhi, even if it's not necessarily in an overly forceful manner, he is more subtle. spoiler[On several occasions he stops Haruhi from continuing her torture of Mikuru, saves the world on several occasions including convincing Haruhi to not continue the baseball tournament and in the final broadcast order episode where he convinces Haruhi to return the world to the way it was.]

spoiler[Haruhi slammed Kyon's head of the table. And he didn't sock her for it. I would.]

Quote:
While there is some weak male leads out there, they hardly predominate the genre.

Only because you haven't seen most of what's on my (growing) list. The "weak male leads" DO predominate the genre; so much that they had to screw over a franchise because (for Gundam Seed Destiny, and I will beat this crap do death with a stick until change is noticeable) a bunch of angry letters forced $unrise to switch the spotlight away from a strong male lead.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Clannad had a preview that featured poor Sunohara getting 100-Burst-Kicked by Tomoyo.

The first two times Sunohara get his ass kicked by Tomoyo, he attacked first. After this, while not exactly attacking first, he always provoked her. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to complain about males not defending themselves against females, then criticizing a female who defends herself against a male?

Tyrenol wrote:
Quote:
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- There are plenty of instances where Kyon stands up to Haruhi, even if it's not necessarily in an overly forceful manner, he is more subtle. spoiler[On several occasions he stops Haruhi from continuing her torture of Mikuru, saves the world on several occasions including convincing Haruhi to not continue the baseball tournament and in the final broadcast order episode where he convinces Haruhi to return the world to the way it was.]

spoiler[Haruhi slammed Kyon's head of the table. And he didn't sock her for it. I would.]

Yes, because responding to violence with more violence is a good idea. [/sarcasm]

Also, you included Black Lagoon in your list. I'd say that Revy's issues with Rock are less to do with him being male than him being an outsider; she has no problem with Dutch and Benny.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The first two times Sunohara get his ass kicked by Tomoyo, he attacked first. After this, while not exactly attacking first, he always provoked her. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to complain about males not defending themselves against females, then criticizing a female who defends herself against a male?

Also, you included Black Lagoon in your list. I'd say that Revy's issues with Rock are less to do with him being male than him being an outsider; she has no problem with Dutch and Benny.

...along with the answered quote about Haruhi. I admire the fact that you totally miss the point.

There's a reason why shows like these play after 0100 in Japan: At that time there's no limit to the amount of violence, masquerading it as "slapstick comedy," they can pull off.

The fact that there's no reaction from the Clannad preview where Tomoyo "100-Burst-Kicks" Sunohara means that this is the type of fandom shows like these cater to anymore. (I've been through the blogs where some of the replies state that they want their butts kicked by Tomoyo next.) For me, it's never been the question of "why 'Tomoyo' attacked 'Sunohara.'" It's more about "which show doesn't feature that type of lazy, stagnated writing."

Black Lagoon? Rock is a wuss and a loser who would not last 5 minutes if the situation was real life. It's on my list.

And hypocritical? I'm not some guy who promotes beating up women. But there are times like these when you have to ask yourself: "Who gets to live? You? Or Chivalry?"

Most of Japan's anime culture is based around the idea that misandry is queen. And there's yet to be a counterbalance for all this.
prosumer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, this post is not in the complete spirit of the thread, much less the previous post. Finally getting these thoughts down, I may have to post this up on my blog. I have a good friend who runs an anime rental shop near me and he is also affected by the internet downloads of fansubs. We talked about Genon dying and he also sees the writing on the wall. People aren't even renting the same volume, per the stores numbers, that they were a few years ago.

Here are some areas where DVD releases are lacking
1) fansubs have better subs - choice of translation aside, fansubs do wonderful things like text coloring to help denote a thought versus speech. for example, in Suzumiya, Kyon is often talking to himself during a conversation and you would get these queues from the animation but I have to spend a decent amount of viewing time reading subtitles. the naruto fansubs did a fun a useful effect of having the subs colored by who was speaking.
2) dubs, no thanks - aka: im not missing anything by not waiting for the north american release. this is a point of view i am consistent on, be it Japanese animation or Russian live action.
3) stereo versus surround sound - I can download a fansub and get good stereo sound, the reason to go to the DVD is for the 5.1 track. however for NA releases they only do 5.1 on the dub track and 2.0 on the japanese track. There are very few exceptions here, Noein being a recent one.
4) resolution and video quality - I recently watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann on a 720p projector on a 112" screen, fansub. The fansub was HD resolution at 720p. There are some compression artifacts going into OGM format but the video quality may soon completely surpass DVD at 480i
5) cost - this is a fitting one to bring up in light of the previous item. i bought Wings of Honneamise on Blu-Ray just to see if it was worth it. well the HD version certainly looks better and the DTS soundtrack was stunning, but the BD release cost me nearly $70. Only an otaku like me is going to pay double for a animated movie over a live action movie. PlanetES is a perfect example, over $132 to buy all 6 discs but only $44 to buy the 'perfect collection' with the same 6 discs. $27 for one volume of Haruhi Suzumia, on amazon.com, on 480i DVD, one disc, the same stuff that people in Japan saw on cable TV in 720p HD!

I don't really care much for art boxes or physical media, which may make other otaku disown me. But you need to realize, my friends, most new fans (kids) don't even care if they watch 240x240 stream with crappy quality on youtube! I am very sorry that people i know in the industry are being hurt by the Internet. Please find a way to adjust your models for making money, because the next generation of viewers is growing up with bittorrent and youtube and they don't care at all.

--prosumer
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
...along with the answered quote about Haruhi. I admire the fact that you totally miss the point.

Part of the reason I missed the point was because you were originally so vague about what the point was. You say the shows are mean-spirited and disrespectful towards men, and then it seems that the solution is to let the men hit back. Why is the solution to use more violence and not less?
prosumer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
2 cents...

If we are talking about manly lead roles in anime, Yugo the Negotiator takes the cake. Yugo has no super human abilities, nor is he an incredible fighter, but he wins every time.

--prosumer
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
prosumer wrote:
2 cents...

If we are talking about manly lead roles in anime, Yugo the Negotiator takes the cake. Yugo has no super human abilities, nor is he an incredible fighter, but he wins every time.

--prosumer

Prosumer, your name is printed in a box next to your posts. We are aware of who is posting what. You don't need to sign your posts.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
prosumer wrote:
2 cents...

--prosumer

Prosumer, your name is printed in a box next to your posts. We are aware of who is posting what. You don't need to sign your posts.

Zac, please, please don't take this the wrong way. It's just a question. But don't certain staff members do the same thing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Zac, please, please don't take this the wrong way. It's just a question. But don't certain staff members do the same thing?

Yeah, and it bugs me when they do it too.
prosumer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I had a really strong desire to reply again with my signature, but I'm not sure the humor would have been appreciated. Obviously there is a rule written somewhere that 'there shall be no signaturationalism of posts' that I clearly missed... a rule I can appreciate since they can get out of hand making things unreadable.

It appears I could also be banninated for posting without reading the entire thread.

must... resist... signature... gah! Very Happy
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Part of the reason I missed the point was because you were originally so vague about what the point was. You say the shows are mean-spirited and disrespectful towards men, and then it seems that the solution is to let the men hit back. Why is the solution to use more violence and not less?

They say "violence is never a good answer." And then they say that "losing is not an option" either.

So now we have a lot of shows overseas that feature a lot of harsh cartoon violence that's supposse to be read as "haha-funny" (as oppose to the constructive violence seen in more serious shows).

The million-dollar question here: Am I suppose to NOT react to it negatively?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
You are seriously looking way too much into this. It's comedy. It's not a deep analysis of human behavior.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
You are seriously looking way too much into this. It's comedy. It's not a deep analysis of human behavior.

Hey. Anime's part of the entertainment industry, right? I'm here to be entertained. Not reminded of whatever superiority/inferiority complex those circus clowns think I have. Rolling Eyes
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
prosumer wrote:

Here are some areas where DVD releases are lacking
1) fansubs have better subs

If you mean adding Asian-stereotyping crap like adding honorifics just because it looks cool, I prefer watching a commercial release without them than enduring about 98% of the fansubs with that.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Hey. Anime's part of the entertainment industry, right? I'm here to be entertained. Not reminded of whatever superiority/inferiority complex those circus clowns think I have. Rolling Eyes

Then maybe you should stop projecting your complexes onto these shows. This isn't a problem with the industry or the shows, it's a problem with you putting these strange interpretations of things that simply aren't there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6