• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eric P. Sherman, President of Bang Zoom! Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
prosumer wrote:

Here are some areas where DVD releases are lacking
1) fansubs have better subs

If you mean adding Asian-stereotyping crap like adding honorifics just because it looks cool, I prefer watching a commercial release without them than enduring about 98% of the fansubs with that.

So its ok for manga to add honorifics?
I like them myself. And as prosumer said- the colorful text is a plus. At least for attacks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Then maybe you should stop projecting your complexes onto these shows. This isn't a problem with the industry or the shows, it's a problem with you putting these strange interpretations of things that simply aren't there.

Saying something like that is not okay anymore. You're in denial if you believe that the Japanese anime industry is just oh-so honky-dory and everything is a-okay.

People who had worked harder than me... People who had lived near where the action is... Even this very site. This is no secret, man! No secret!

The broken machine that's the anime industry is running too long. And unless it gets fixed, it will break and harm whoever's involved with it. It'll go the way of the "writers strike" in Hollywood. Creativity will be forfeited for the sake of the quick buck. And people like _you_ will be blamed for it.
calawain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
Hahaha, yeah because citing a flaming/ranting blog is really the way to make a great argument. You aren't really making arguments here as much as trying to blame other people for there not being more shows you like. What kind of shows do you even like, when all the guys grab their junk, punch women the face and laugh about it? I'm sure there is plenty of ero anime that will satisfy that desire for domination and weak-willed females for you.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
Hahaha, yeah because citing a flaming/ranting blog is really the way to make a great argument. You aren't really making arguments here as much as trying to blame other people for there not being more shows you like. What kind of shows do you even like, when all the guys grab their junk, punch women the face and laugh about it? I'm sure there is plenty of ero anime that will satisfy that desire for domination and weak-willed females for you.

The kind of shows I like... You know they aren't the type where all the girls punch men in the face and laugh about it.

You say that I'm not really making an argument, but the fact is that nobody really wants to make a serious argument about it (besides me). Outside of the conventions and the blogs; I've yet to hear of anybody asking the serious questions and pushing for serious change in this so-called "fandom." So I had to do it myself. Because that's what a fan would do.

Then again; whoever said that the main based of this "fandom" are people in their 20s, that person is right.

It's either ignorance or the idea that it's more difficult to create anime for people who are over 30-some-odd and more picky. "It's great that the age barrier had been taken down so grown-ups can watch what kids are watching." One of the many excuses people make for the lack of creativity, the stagnation, the mean spiritedness, and the (cultural) misandry.

I'm still looking for the "storytellers." Those people who went on strike because of the unions; they're not "storytellers." Most of the current people behind the anime that's pro-moe; they're not "storytellers" either.

And the true tragedy is that there are some extremely good ideas over there: Magical women (Nanoha StrikerS), consequences of sleeping around (School Days), a loop-show about yearly murders (When Kira Dies), "magicians for hire," "triggerhappy smugglers," whatever.

Good ideas that have all been done the wrong way.

Take what I said and use it for your counterpoints against me. I'm the guy who didn't find it funny whenever someone socks someone else regardless of gender.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
So, now we've jumped from your inferiority complex and dislike of seeing males beaten by girls to.... irrelevant blogs and more shows aimed at higher age demographics.

Quote:
I'm still looking for the "storytellers." Those people who went on strike because of the unions; they're not "storytellers." Most of the current people behind the anime that's pro-moe; they're not "storytellers" either.

Rolling Eyes
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
So, now we've jumped from your inferiority complex and dislike of seeing males beaten by girls to.... irrelevant blogs and more shows aimed at higher age demographics.

Look, Hitokiri Shadow. All I'm asking for is some much-needed change.

If you're not gonna help, the least you could do is hold up a sign that says "I'm not gonna help." And I met way too many people like you.

Who else?
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

After seeing that absolutely ridiculous quote I think I really never need to argue with you again. Thanks for the good laugh, your ignorance knows no bounds.
Irish Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Eric Sherman wrote:
I don't want to comment on Singapore, other than that I don't think the stuff that's come out of there has been noteworthy.

Haha, I'd say that's a pretty strong quote all together!

As for that rumor that Bang Zoom had a contract with Geneon for 200 eps, while excluding any other studio from working with Geneon; that would be horrible!

The whole idea of having more than one studio is for variety. Unless that contract entailed a series that had 200 episodes, I don't think I could see Geneon making that agreement either. To handcuff yourself into dealing with just one studio, when you hold a multitude of titles like Geneon did, doesnt make sense to me. Especially when you think about the quality that comes from other studios in the US, and Ocean in Canada. He even says that Ocean's done great work!

That's just an odd rumor, and I would say that's almost like committing business suicide for Geneon, but I suppose it doesn't matter now...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:56 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
prosumer wrote:
Here are some areas where DVD releases are lacking
1) fansubs have better subs
If you mean adding Asian-stereotyping crap like adding honorifics just because it looks cool, I prefer watching a commercial release without them than enduring about 98% of the fansubs with that.
Whether it's true or not, the "fansubs have better subs" idea is a perception held by many, and if companies want sales from those people, moralizing tirades and C&Ds aren't going to get the job done. One extremely well-known fansubbing group ran a poll and asked, "Would you be more likely to buy DVDs of our shows if they were subtitled "fansub-style?", 49.6% (over 46,000 people) said they would. Feel free to trust these unscientific numbers as far as you can throw them, but it says something about the way people want to watch their anime. Companies claim, "Our sales come from 'casual buyers,' not hardcore fans, so that's why we don't cater to the hardcore fringe." But if the population of the fansub-loving fringe isn't significant enough to bother with changing DVD presentation, why are fansubs such a huge concern?

In a nutshell and in no particular order, the main complaints I see about DVD subtitles are:

1) "Americanization" ~ as in First - Last name order, absence of honorifics, translation of terms that some feel should be left in Japanese

2) "No Karaoke" ~ can't be helped, limitation of DVD format, these karaoke lovers need to get over themselves

3) "Yellow subtitles make my eyes bleed" ~ again, has to do with DVD specs, these people also need to get over themselves

4) "No cultural/translation notes" ~ Hello, Extras section!

5) "Translations are inaccurate" ~ usually said by watchers who don't know enough Japanese to know better, who think that the fansubs are "right" because they came out earlier with all the bells and whistles

6) "DVD typesetting sucks" ~ referring to onscreen text; and I don't even have to compare DVDs with fansubs to see the fansub lovers' points. It just leaves me scratching my head when I can watch some DVDs with massive amounts of completely translated, positioned onscreen text (such as Nadesico, Paniponi Dash, His & Her Circumstances, or Comic Party) and then switch to DVDs with zero positioning and massive omissions, like Rumbling Hearts, Genshiken, or anything in the Viz catalogue outside of Bleach and Naruto. I'm beginning to think that Nozomi and ADV possess secret subtitling technology that no one else in the industry has mastered.

Oh, and regarding the numbers on Haruhi: by my layman's estimate, I'd say Haruhi has had roughly 275,000 downloads. A third of that in sales would be 91,666, which of course is quite impressive. But even a mere one-ninth of that is 30,555, which is apparently much better than many series do these days. And in fact, Haruhi did land at ninth among the current top-selling anime, despite all those downloads and a lack of mainstream TV exposure and lack of mainstream popular elements, such as the action/comedy/adventure of series like FMA, Bleach, and Naruto. So it could be said that the fansub watchers turned out in higher amounts than usual to buy the release -- partly because of the quality of the show, but I'd also credit the marketing scheme that made buying the DVDs feel like an organic extension of the fansub/Internet culture. It's at least a better approach than the "anyone who watches any fansubs is a scumbag pirate criminal, whether or not they later buy the DVDs" mentality that some possess.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

3) "Yellow subtitles make my eyes bleed" ~ again, has to do with DVD specs, these people also need to get over themselves

Well, there's always yellow. But I've seen red subtitles in "blood drip" font as well. And ADV got their VidNotes in their somehow.

Quote:
4) "No cultural/translation notes" ~ Hello, Extras section!

And it's entirely possible to do it in the actual show as well, either on the top of the screen or something like the Vid Notes.

Quote:
6) "DVD typesetting sucks" ~ referring to onscreen text; and I don't even have to compare DVDs with fansubs to see the fansub lovers' points. It just leaves me scratching my head when I can watch some DVDs with massive amounts of completely translated, positioned onscreen text (such as Nadesico, Paniponi Dash, His & Her Circumstances, or Comic Party) and then switch to DVDs with zero positioning and massive omissions, like Rumbling Hearts, Genshiken, or anything in the Viz catalogue outside of Bleach and Naruto. I'm beginning to think that Nozomi and ADV possess secret subtitling technology that no one else in the industry has mastered.

I almost wonder if ADV has some sorcery or something that no one else has access to or enough souls to sacrifice for. I can't speak for Nozomi since I haven't gotten around to watching The Third yet. If ADV can do the aforementioned blood-drip text in the middle of the screen, why is almost everyone else cramming everything on the bottom of the screen? Kodocha was made even more confusing by giant blocks of text at the bottom. It shouldn't have been too difficult to at least make one line of text white and another yellow and/or position some on the top and some on the bottom to help distinguish the lines from each other.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Zalis wrote:

Quote:
Whether it's true or not, the "fansubs have better subs" idea is a perception held by many, and if companies want sales from those people, moralizing tirades and C&Ds aren't going to get the job done.

The sticky wicket here is for every primary-fansub watcher who likes 'fansub style' subbing, you can probably point to an (in scale) equivalent number of DVD purchasers who either like more subdued subbing (myself included) or just really don't care either way. So the crux for a company is to try and determine if switching it's sub style is really going to pay off in sales. And in that vein...

Quote:
One extremely well-known fansubbing group ran a poll and asked, "Would you be more likely to buy DVDs of our shows if they were subtitled "fansub-style?", 49.6% (over 46,000 people) said they would.

On the surface that can seem like a lot of folks pushing for a product. If you scale back and take a look at it from a marketers perspective however, what their most likely to notice is that while an average DVD title apparently sells a few thousand copies, you've got near 100,000 (by your figures) fansub viewers taking a poll on just one fansubbing group-site, and you can reasonably assume that a similar number of site users didn't even take the poll. That's a purchasing/fansub viewing chasm so unbelievably wide (even if we take the 'Haruhi' figures of 275,00-30,555 at face value that still only represent a viewership-to-sales ratio of 11%, and that's for a 'success') I don't think any company is going to put much stock in very specific product complaints, and are more or less likely to focus on...

Quote:
Feel free to trust these unscientific numbers as far as you can throw them, but it says something about the way people want to watch their anime.

....from their point of view, free. That's not to open any fansub wounds or judge things one way or another, but I tend to think when sales/fansub viewership is so extremely far apart in scale, companies aren't going to put much stock in fansub generated suggestions (for good or ill) on the basis that no sales gap that large has it's solution/nexus in slight product adjustments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6