• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fox Acknowledges Dragon Ball Film, Stays Mum on Details

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparrowblade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:05 am Reply with quote
man, those liars they fox denied the whole thing thing for years. i was hoping they where telling the truth this film has a 0% chance of being good.

p.s love the dbz anime and manga
shirizaan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:06 am Reply with quote
I find it fascinating that the MPAA continues to profess confusion as to why piracy occurs when they produce movies like this. Dragonball Z is a classic anime series, no doubt about it. That doesn't mean that it will translate well to live action form.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
Well it's going to take at least 20 movies to get the characters set up. then another 30 to train for the big battle, and the final battle should be at least 10 movies long. So 60 movies total, and I thought the series was long! Very Happy

Sorry, bad DB humor. I liked the show, for the first 30 episodes, but then it just got tedious. I see this movie going the same way of Street Fighter or DOA, nowhere.
Rawler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:12 am Reply with quote
We all remember how Street Fighter translated to live action.

Fox honestly believes that they would be doing well if they made this into a live action and drew upon the large, and young, fanbase.
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
Well it's going to take at least 20 movies to get the characters set up. then another 30 to train for the big battle, and the final battle should be at least 10 movies long. So 60 movies total, and I thought the series was long! Very Happy

Hahaha!! *tear*

Yeah.. jokes aside, The north american "action movie formula" probably wont work well for something so drawn out and suspensful
xgemina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:

lol, that was good, but you forgot to break up the final battle movies: 5 movies for the stare down, 2 movies of Goku getting his ass handed to him, 2 movies for the power-ups and the last movie will be the actual fight and it will last 30 minutes.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
shirizaan wrote:
I find it fascinating that the MPAA continues to profess confusion as to why piracy occurs when they produce movies like this. Dragonball Z is a classic anime series, no doubt about it. That doesn't mean that it will translate well to live action form.

Yeah you're right people steal movies because films they don't like get made

"Man that Dragonball movie sucks, I'm going to steal this copy of Schindler's List"

Nice logic there
Xyex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm looking forward to the movie. Do I expect it to be as awesome as the series or manga? No. But does that mean it has to be absolutely horrible? No. It can be good. If it's even half as fun as the first Mortal Kombat movie or first two Spider-man or X-Men movies I'll be quite satisfied. And if it isn't, so what? What's that do to me? What's that do to the series? Nothing.

It's not like Dragonball will suddenly cease to be cool to me anymore if the movie is worse than Street Fighter or Super Mario Brothers. I'll still love Dragonball, I'll still watch the anime and still love it just as much. I'll still write shit loads of fanfictions and buy every video game I can get my hands on. And hell, I'll still buy the movie on DVD too. Why? Because if it *does* suck more than Street Fighter or Mario then it's going to be fun to watch just for laughs (kinda like The Magic Begins). Really, it's a win - win situation. Very Happy
douglas2k6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
DBZ will always have a place in my heart, but a film is too much. Perhaps if the team that handle FF7: Advent Children were to produce it, I would be really happy! Very Happy
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm still a bit surprised that it's actually coming out. They denied its existence during the peak of DBZ's popularity, yet they finally announce it once the popularity has died down. o.0 Unless it actually has taken this long to get all the paperwork done, I think this was a bad move on Fox's part. They might be better off making a Naruto live action movie. Laughing

As for "tarnishing Dragonball's good reputation," I don't think this movie can do anything worse than what's already been done. Drawn out fight scenes, lots of yelling and screaming, marketing gimmick after gimmick... DBZ is criticized by non-fans already. If you like DBZ, that's all that really matters. Who cares how it is viewed in the eyes of the public?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Damn. This still sounds fishy. I wonder if Fox had anything read to begin with. Usually they can at least announce a producer or even a director at this point. Right now, Fox has no info at all other than that they have the rights and they've had those since 2002 it seems. That's the only thing confirmed and it's something we've known for years.

shirizaan wrote:

Zac wrote:
shirizaan wrote:

"Man that Dragonball movie sucks, I'm going to steal this copy of Schindler's List"

Nice logic there

Yup. Apples and oranges. Never mind that Fox acquired the rights from the Japanese rights holders anyway, so the whole thing is legit. Fans can bitch about America (likely where they are from) all they want and praise Japan all they want, but never forget Japanese companies approved of this and are getting money for it. So stop your blind hypocrisies. Japan has just as much to do with this happening as America.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Was there any demand for a Transformers movie this last summer? They made it anyway. Before the latest movie incarnation, Spiderman has never done all that well live action. (I thought the tv version looked very sad crawling up walls).
Did we know we needed a Pirates of the Carribean movie before they made it?
They make these things because htey feel the time is right.
It they do it well, it'll work. If they don't, it won't.

And for all the brilliant sorts out there joking about the 20 minute power-ups, don't forget that's not in the manga--that was simply to drag out the fricken anime (like all of Snake Way was added. Goku set off & then, he was at the end of the trail trying to get to Kai's place). Thus if they have a 90-120 minute movie, they won't have to power up for 10 minutes. (Unless he does the stupid Spirit Bomb thing, but that can be avoided). In fact the original DB moved pretty well for an action anime--it was the middle if the evil Piccalo saga we started seeing the stuff drag out forever.
Naruto has perfected that whole drawn out thing beyond DBZ's wildest imaginings. Not to mention the whole named attacks thing (my secret ninja move works like this! Doesn't that sort of let the cat out of the secret bag?)
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
And for all the brilliant sorts out there joking about the 20 minute power-ups, don't forget that's not in the manga--that was simply to drag out the fricken anime (like all of Snake Way was added. Goku set off & then, he was at the end of the trail trying to get to Kai's place). Thus if they have a 90-120 minute movie, they won't have to power up for 10 minutes. (Unless he does the stupid Spirit Bomb thing, but that can be avoided). In fact the original DB moved pretty well for an action anime--it was the middle if the evil Piccalo saga we started seeing the stuff drag out forever.
Naruto has perfected that whole drawn out thing beyond DBZ's wildest imaginings. Not to mention the whole named attacks thing (my secret ninja move works like this! Doesn't that sort of let the cat out of the secret bag?)

Thank you! Someone with some sense instead of typical lame fanboy jokes.. Someone who's smart enough to understand that simple idea of drawing out scenes to cut costs on animation. Plus you note that they wouldn't do that in a film and if anything it would make sense if they'd make charging up shorter.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
shirizaan wrote:

Nice logic there

i wouldn't say in general, but that's definitely a big contributing factor. more like "i know this movie's gonna suck, so why would i pay 7 dollars for it?"

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i wouldn't say in general, but that's definitely a big conributing factor. more like "i know this movie's gonna suck, so why would i pay 7 dollars for it?"

"This movie is gonna suck, so I would I waste 90 minutes of my life downloadidn & watching it?" would be what I'd ask.

I do see your point though, the better the movie, the more likely some people will be to pay for it rather than just pirate it. But honestly I don't think the quality of the movie is a primary contributor to piracy.

People still pirate the really good movies, and they generally don't bother acquiring pirated copies of movies they think sucks. Bootleggers certainly make more money off of good movies than they make off of crap ones.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3