• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Genre Tropes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
darcerin wrote:
Wow, I have something worthy to contribute for once!

Zac, if Nanoha ever does come out here (I'm still crossing my fingers for Geneon to pull through), you should watch it. I *loved* it, and couldn't wait till the second season came out. I'd love to eventually catch up with the third season. Talking ferret, FTW! Smile

Nanoha was a "spinoff/sequel" (if it can be called that) of the 4 episode OAV "Triangle Heart", however, you don't need to have seen TH to see Nanoha. TH is mainly about Nanoha's older brother and sister and their...interesting line of work. Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, Triangle Heart was based off a game?

Nothing you say here convinces me that I should watch Nanoha. What's so great about this show that makes it stand out from other mahou shoujo shows? Is there a reason you think it's different, or better, than other shows of its kind? I've been hearing people criticize Zac for not wanting to see the show, but nothing anyone has ever told me about the show makes me want to see it. I generally dislike the mahou shoujo genre, as well as lolicon, so is there something about Nanoha that makes it better than that? Please, enlighten me.

I'm not a lolicon either. Actually, it annoys me when people have group fapping sessions over loli Fate and act like Nanoha is Ikkitousen for lolicons or something. It drove me away at first, and it apparently still drives away others. The only stuff in there that's in-your-face enough that you'll notice it if you're not looking for it are the transformation sequences, which you only see a couple times each season anyways. You probably won't remember it for that, unless you're a lolicon. (season 3 is really light on the lolis too... there was a 10-year time skip, so the majority of the old cast grew up)

What sets it apart? Great action scenes (this is what really sets Nanoha apart... Nanoha vs. Fate, Fate vs. Signum, and the Stars squad and Signum vs. the Numbers, Zest, and Agito in season 3 have great fight scenes), and the characters are very nicely developed. (character development gets kinda weak in season 3, but they still manage to keep most of the cast likable, and the ones that they do develop are well developed) Great setting, too. Also, after the first 6 episodes or so, it completely ditches every aspect of it that's typical to the magical girl genre (except for the transformation scenes... but Nanoha isn't terribly heavy on those) and becomes an all-out action show.

So yeah, definitely watch Nanoha if you get the chance. (just make sure that you watch until the TSAB is introduced... first 3 episodes are typical magical girl crap, but it gets better once Fate's introduced, and it gets better again once the TSAB shows up, and even better during the second season)
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Princess Tutu (my favorite anime) thrust up into the spotlight, even for just a little while... Smile It's hard to believe someone said it was the worst ever! The collection just got released, so no one has an excuse not to buy it now, people!
Hiryu77

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
((Well, time to add another tally to my post count.))

I must agree that FF Unlimited was the worst anime I've seen yet. I wasn't one of those people who breathe on FF7,(I lean toward 4) but this was lazily put together.

I will give it some recognition, I thought Kaze's power of soil was rather inventive. But that's about it.

This is the general idea for each episode:

Ai:UH-OH! BIG N BAD MUSHROOM MAN GUNNA GET US!
Kaze: I'll save you! Soil power! Shiva!
Ai:YAY! GO MISTER KAZE! WILL YOU JOIN US NOW?
Kaze: No... I think i'll be a loner for the next couple of episodes.*COUGH*STALKER*HACK*

Granted, I haven't watched the whole series, but that's the idea I got from it.

Besides how horrible FF:U was, Tokko's ending sucked donkey balls. 1 energy stroke with 2 swords? Wow... really epic battle there. I'm wonder why he couldn't beat the old man back at the mansion. But according to the plot spoiler[ he had to "absorb" the girls power.]

But I think got the pink slip around episode 10. Too bad... could've been a good series in my book. Maybe a little predictable, but a good series if it would've ran a bit longer.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
It may be making its way into American English but it's hardly acceptable in Standard English. I didn't realise you Canadians had fallen to the linguistic darkside... Wink

Standard English is not necessarily RP. I agree that "nite" has no place in Standard English, and even those dictionary definitions I referred to listed it as "informal." My point was the fact that it's made its way into various dictionaries, and not as "slang," shows that just because something is in the dictionary, doesn't mean it's "proper" English.

As for American English (General American) vs The Queen's English (Received Pronunciation), you are right, each of the dictionaries that Dictionary.com references "nite" in is American.

As for the supposed superior quality of the English of the British populace, the majority of whom do not speak RP nor "standard English," I have one word, "cockney."
Akakori

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
It may be making its way into American English but it's hardly acceptable in Standard English. I didn't realise you Canadians had fallen to the linguistic darkside... Wink

Standard English is not necessarily RP. I agree that "nite" has no place in Standard English, and even those dictionary definitions I referred to listed it as "informal." My point was the fact that it's made its way into various dictionaries, and not as "slang," shows that just because something is in the dictionary, doesn't mean it's "proper" English.

As for American English (General American) vs The Queen's English (Received Pronunciation), you are right, each of the dictionaries that Dictionary.com references "nite" in is American.

As for the supposed superior quality of the English of the British populace, the majority of whom do not speak RP nor "standard English," I have one word, "cockney."

RP is an accent that is not an accent. Unlike all other accents it has no geographical base. No-one in Britain speaks it except those you hear on the BBC who are trained to speak like that.

The wonderful thing about language is that is evolves by use. Some people hate that idea but if enough of the population catch onto a new way of saying something it is destined to change. (e.g. "innit" meaning "isn't it" after every f-ing sentence; "a'rite" as a new way to say "hello" to acquaintances; and the new use of the present participle where traditionally it doesn't fit: "i'm lovin' it/believing it")

Changing spelling away from Standard English is more difficult to achieve but it can be done if it used enough. Though it must be said that when it's a new word a new spelling is acceptable, but why create a new spelling for a word that already exists?
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
Bunny Deadwood-I loved it-I own 2 pet bunnies that I wouldn't trade for all the cats and dogs in the world! As for Neon Genesis Evangelion-lots of people say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread- I say let them make a sandwitch with 2 slices of it and NGE baloney inbetween. I much prefer Banner of the Stars or Planetes sci fi wise to NGE-it's hard to belive that Hiddeki Anno-who made Ebichu-the Housekeeping Hamster did NGE. Say-the Buried Treasure column could do that one.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:

Most folks in the UK calls us all 'Americans' anyway ....
No we don't. We do know the difference believe you me. Wink
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I know anyone can hate anything no matter how good you may think it is or no matter how many people love it, but I can't get over the Evangelion thing.

Evangelion is a rehash of Ender's Game. Really, is it? Do you have proof or do you just want to throw in the fact that you actually read a book. Bravo for you. Just because you think someone did it better and they did it first doesn't mean that two people or even two groups of people can't come up with a similar idea independently.

I liked whiny Shinji (instead of the cocksure hero ready to take on any comers) and the collage of religion, psychology, and all that. I thought that Evangelion was one of the most awesome anime I had ever seen in my life, because it went in directions that I had never encountered in things I had seen before.

I think that the negative opinion of a show like Evangelion is an example of what knowledge a person has brought to the show before seeing it. If you're 30 at the time you first see it, then maybe it doesn't have as much impact. I can't say for sure, because I've only seen the entire series and movies once in the late 90s.

Maybe a psych major laughs at Eva, and the same thing for a Theologist as well. From my view, Evangelion was well animated, it had fascinating characters and I loved the plot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thewalkindude368

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Actually how could I forget a couple of shows I hate.

I did not like serial experiments LAIN. I just found it rather boring. However, I must say Bear Pajamas FTW, though.

Please Twins started off so promising. I liked Please Teacher a lot, but I gave this one up after 6 episodes or so. There is only so much faux incest and wondering about "who is related and who is a stranger" that I could take.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Standard English is not necessarily RP.

Uhm, Standard English has nothing to do with RP. Recieved Pronunciation is just that - pronunciation.

tempest wrote:

Now, now - I have never suggested that Kiwis, Canadians and even some housetrained Australians can't speak perfectly good English. Wink

As for Cockneys...you don't need to persuade me (or anybody else who lives north of Watford) of their verbal shortcomings...
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Maybe a psych major laughs at Eva

My psych major girlfriend loved the series; she found it fascinating.

YotaruVegeta wrote:
and the same thing for a Theologist as well.

The word is "Theologian." Anyway, I doubt it's relevant what a Theologian thinks of Evangelion, because the show doesn't really relate to God or religion at all.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I liked whiny Shinji (instead of the cocksure hero ready to take on any comers)

I love that many Evangelion fans assume that people hate Shinji because he's whiny and isn't like the heroes you describe - all-powerful demi-gods that can pretty much defeat anyone and anything they come across without blinking. For me, that's not it at all. I don't hate the fact that Shinji is whiny, I hate the fact that he's whiny, and he STAYS whiny for the majority of the series, right up until the very end. He doesn't develop at all. Let's look at some great heroes in anime that start out as whiny as Shinji, but manage to develop much more fully than Shinji, and are able to break out of the "I'm a whinyface loser" mold: Renton Thurston (Eureka seveN), Vincent Law (Ergo Proxy), Albert de Morcerf (Gankutsuou), Yuu Gotou (Noein), Simon (Gurren Lagann), and plenty others.

I disliked that Shinji, for most of the series, fell deeper and deeper into depression over the events surrounding him, then suddenly, in the end, came out the other side with a miraculous self-realization. It was ridiculous.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I liked whiny Shinji (instead of the cocksure hero ready to take on any comers)

I love that many Evangelion fans assume that people hate Shinji because he's whiny and isn't like the heroes you describe - all-powerful demi-gods that can pretty much defeat anyone and anything they come across without blinking. For me, that's not it at all. I don't hate the fact that Shinji is whiny, I hate the fact that he's whiny, and he STAYS whiny for the majority of the series, right up until the very end. He doesn't develop at all. Let's look at some great heroes in anime that start out as whiny as Shinji, but manage to develop much more fully than Shinji, and are able to break out of the "I'm a whinyface loser" mold: Renton Thurston (Eureka seveN), Vincent Law (Ergo Proxy), Albert de Morcerf (Gankutsuou), Yuu Gotou (Noein), Simon (Gurren Lagann), and plenty others.

I disliked that Shinji, for most of the series, fell deeper and deeper into depression over the events surrounding him, then suddenly, in the end, came out the other side with a miraculous self-realization. It was ridiculous.

Firstly, I don't think Shinji's whiny. To be whiny, he would have to express himself a heck of a lot more...like Renton from Eureka SeveN, for instance. He's apathetic. If he were whiny, he would complain a lot more. The majority of the time, Shinji merely convinces himself that "it doesn't matter" and sublimates his anger. There are instances where it finds expression, such as when Gendo confronts him in the first episode, but even then it is further repressed.

Secondly, you say that Shinji doesn't develop, and then state that he "fell deeper and deeper into depression over the events surrounding him." How is this not development? Must all development be positive, as with all of the examples you listed? Yes, in the overall scheme of things, Shinji's development is mostly regressive, but there are small victories throughout. Even when these themselves are defeated, he still has the memory of that triumph.

Finally, you imply that Shinji's "self-realization" is immediate, forced upon him by poor writing rather than built throughout the series. This is both true and false. For one thing, there is no mention of how long instrumentality takes. Shinji's doubt is a difficult thing to surmount, and he lies locked in mental combat for weeks or months worth of time. Also, you're forgetting the nature of a realization; it is simply a moment, not a process. The process takes all of episode 25 and 26, but the moment is a singular thought which breaks down mental walls. An epiphany is like that.
missing_soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Probably this is far too late to join the discussion, but I just can't stand the nonsense I read (and I don't really speak English so just be nice and ignore my grammar faults)
1) Ender vs Shinji
Would someone please please point me out anything in the two storyline and/or the characters' behavior, personal dilemma,
character etc. witch is actually similar except for them having balls?
(a genius vs a simple boy, loving family vs. father-single son problem (mother died prior to the beginning of the story)
a genius who pulls through anything thrown at him including intense physical and psychological torture vs.
a simple boy who doubts its ability almost constantly,
a war academy with an actual dormitory vs. a mecha pilot living with a "babe" who could be
her elder sister, angels vs. "ants", the list is just endless)
The only similarities are the following: there are aliens (wow!) the grown-ups with the money pull the strings (wow!)
NGE must be a copy...
2) NGE
NGE has in its final episode a clue you has to work real hard to miss: Shinji and Co. are analyzed (by the very medical meaning of the word),
Shinji stands up, solves his own problem, and every other character clap his hands and congratulates him.
What NGE calls Introspection in an episode title is often psychological analyse coming from the characters' own mouth.
Add it up please, and if you failed to understand, just visit the therapy circle meeting closest to your address.
Just a remark: someone said Anno did this, Anno did that. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I think Anno was an art director
and didn't do anything except receiving the honors and struggling with the budget restrictions.
NGE truly is a horribly low cost production. I'm sorry for Anno & Co. on that account, but if so much people can like NGE,
despite all the the low cost solutions put in it, perhaps there is something good about the show.
3) Manga vs. Anime
I stopped to buy FMA after watching a dozen or so chapters. I urge you, don't read the manga like I poor soul did.
The manga is so much better. The anime actually succeeded to mess up completely the very coherence of the storyline for
_political_ reasons (It was necessary to slander Scar as much as possible and confuse the moral issues especially
about the message urging people to stand up on their back legs and don't believe in false prophets)
Besides the anime made a looser out of Ed. (Surprised? in the manga Ed never loses sight of his first priority, never get beaten up by a girl,
or confused by a cat woman, never wonders around carelessly, he's a force of nature to be recogned with.
Ed of the manga just can't be stopped. Perhaps I have a problem and should consult my therapist asap, but I could read
or watch a story about a boy like that for a change.
Really I pity the pour soul who hated so much the work of a true artist he needed to destroy it as much as the rest
of the team let him (after all they needed to sell it).
And you all worship this scrap. Good for you.
My opinion: basically anything the anime staff did to the manga's storyline when they adapted it is _wrong_.
4) Industry
There is another industry: the music making one. They've got 90 year old grandpa's as stars because they just can't
produce truly creative, ie. driven people in their industries' bowels.
They has eaten, digested and regurgirated creativity (because they just can't create it) and now they are after
the people who copies decade old songs (and today's standard they're promoting is often simple noise, or
a good looking bunch of girls (boys)). And they stop truly creative people to come out with their work, because that
would be really bad for their sales. So there's a missing generation of geniuses.
In the meantime I am unable to bring myself to watch (not buy, to watch) FMA. Of course this is probably just my problem,
and there's no similarity between the two industries at all.
5) How comes no one mentions the fact (again), that the US Anime Industry suffers from not having any great show to sell?
I will never forget the following list of nominees (Japan's Media Arts Festival) for this year's award (thanks ANN):
Toward the Terra…, Denno Coil, Red Garden, Lost Utopia, Darker than BLACK.
I've never seen Lost Utopia, but I fear the rest are technically good productions and have no soul.
It's really a pity Gurren Lagan and other juggernauts of the year are missing from the list but there are only so much places.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10