• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Genre Tropes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
On the subject of Evagelion, I don't really care if Shinji is realistic to what a 14 year old would do. I'm sure that many his age would act that way truthfully. But as someone who can't stand my general age group, I don't want to watch some whiney kid bitch about his life. Especially when that life is as jumbled and aggrivating as the world of this show. His whining and the bizzare attitude of the other characters turned me off from trying to understand the plot.

I don't know if this has been said or not yet here, forgive me for not reading the whole thread.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
It may be making its way into American English but it's hardly acceptable in Standard English. I didn't realise you Canadians had fallen to the linguistic darkside... Wink

Standard English is not necessarily RP. I agree that "nite" has no place in Standard English, and even those dictionary definitions I referred to listed it as "informal." My point was the fact that it's made its way into various dictionaries, and not as "slang," shows that just because something is in the dictionary, doesn't mean it's "proper" English.

As for American English (General American) vs The Queen's English (Received Pronunciation), you are right, each of the dictionaries that Dictionary.com references "nite" in is American.

As for the supposed superior quality of the English of the British populace, the majority of whom do not speak RP nor "standard English," I have one word, "cockney."
And not just cockney, you have your sussex, wessex, summerset, and west country-cornish. The stereotypical pirate accent that one would recognise in movies and cartoons is from that part, also Hagrid in Harry Potter had the west country accent. Welsh, Black forest, scouse, twattle, Yorkshire dales, geordies, mackums, and manx, and that's just on the south side of Hadrians Wall. I speak wessex meself. Cockney is only found within the city boroughs of south east London and even London has it's own accents and words depending on where on the compass one was born and educated within the M25 orbital motorway. People who speak Cockney have a habit of using dfferent words that rhyme with the proper word used. Trouble and strife=wife, pigs ear=beer, knife n' fork= a meal. So forget the trouble and strife mate. Lets go for a knife n' fork, and a pigs ear.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I liked whiny Shinji (instead of the cocksure hero ready to take on any comers) and the collage of religion, psychology, and all that. I thought that Evangelion was one of the most awesome anime I had ever seen in my life, because it went in directions that I had never encountered in things I had seen before.

I don't know if you were talking about what I said specifically, and I know it's all about personal preference here, but I just wanted to make sure and clarify that I wasn't talking about a hero who's so insanely powerful that he can defeat any enemy. I was talking more so about the type of character who, at the very least, develops into a strong-willed, determined character. He can start out as whiny as the writer wants him to, but he at least, for me anyways, has develop into something like that and, you know, overecome his problems.

But like I said before, that's just what my personal preference is, and really that's all it comes down to anyways. Just clarifying things up a little is all.
skaly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I liked whiny Shinji (instead of the cocksure hero ready to take on any comers) and the collage of religion, psychology, and all that. I thought that Evangelion was one of the most awesome anime I had ever seen in my life, because it went in directions that I had never encountered in things I had seen before.

I don't know if you were talking about what I said specifically, and I know it's all about personal preference here, but I just wanted to make sure and clarify that I wasn't talking about a hero who's so insanely powerful that he can defeat any enemy. I was talking more so about the type of character who, at the very least, develops into a strong-willed, determined character. He can start out as whiny as the writer wants him to, but he at least, for me anyways, has develop into something like that and, you know, overecome his problems.

But like I said before, that's just what my personal preference is, and really that's all it comes down to anyways. Just clarifying things up a little is all.

When I first saw Evangelion, I had an image in my head of where the story was meant to go. Among them, yes, Shinji would become more strong-willed (although some can argue that he has, although the battle was internal rather than external), and Rei would open up a little bit (and some can argue that she has, in the most emotionally disturbing way possible), etc.

It's natural that when characters are introduced with a set of problems, that we would want to see those characters overcome those problems. I think, in a lot of cases, the characters did not rise to the occasion the way we wanted or expected them to. The fighting was turned inward, which for us was more excruciating and less rewarding. It was a very alienating experience, which is ironic (or brilliant) since the show was partly about alienation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10