• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Flag DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:22 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And if Randall's recommending it as such, then I almost can't go wrong. At least it sounds better than that other camera-based series that Funimation recently released.

Although I also love Scrapped Princess (I miss the old Shannon avatar) our tastes do differ a bit. I'm not sure if you have seen Gasaraki, but this would probably be the best test to see if you will like Flag or not since it is also a very typical Takahashi project. I remember Theron defending Blue Gender here before, so I'm not too surprised he like Flag.
HayateTokidoki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I've been really disappointed with the lack of originality in anime recently like the rest of you. I thought Flag looked fantastic and sounded quite different than anything I'd seen lately. I was bored to death through the first episode and made it through a few minutes of the second episode before turning it off.

I don't see how anyone can find this show interesting. The pacing was incredibly slow, everything was filmed with a grain effect that was overused to put it nicely, they rehashed a couple scenes and just kept repeating the same information. The character designs for half the people looked all too similar to those found in crappy American cartoons (my wife said she was reminded of Captain Planet by a few of the people in the squad sent to retrieve the flag). And I loved Gasaraki, which was mentioned by another poster and was one of the slowest-paced anime I've ever seen. I just really didn't see any redeeming quality in the first episode or so.
Dunpeal83

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I am Ryosuke Takahashi fan and I loved every show he was associated with that I saw (Votoms, Gaogaigar, Gasaraki, Blue Gender). Too bad his other shows weren't licensed (Dougram, Galient, Layzner). That said I also liked FLAG, and the more realistic approach to mecha subject which is rather uncommon these days.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
And if Randall's recommending it as such, then I almost can't go wrong. At least it sounds better than that other camera-based series that Funimation recently released.
Although I also love Scrapped Princess (I miss the old Shannon avatar) our tastes do differ a bit. I'm not sure if you have seen Gasaraki, but this would probably be the best test to see if you will like Flag or not since it is also a very typical Takahashi project. I remember Theron defending Blue Gender here before, so I'm not too surprised he like Flag.
I still use that avatar on AoD Wink I know there are differences in our tastes, but at least when it comes to this genre of anime I'll trust what you say. For the record I haven't seen Gasaraki, but it seemed interesting enough to justify getting the DVDs. So I at least have plans to see Gasaraki.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2