• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Confirms License of The World God Only Knows 2nd Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
So have they said if there is gonna be a dub for the show or not? I could be wrong but if not I think it might be the first Blu-ray they have done without a dub(again I'm not sure could be wrong about that)

If it's got a dub I will probably get it close to it's release but if it's sub only I will probably be waiting awhile before I pick it up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
No dub?... -_-
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
January release likely means no dub :/
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Sentai has already stated they won't do sub-only blurays. The market is too small and the costs too high. So yes, it will be dubbed.

Also, yes there have been sub-only blurays before and Bandai currently has them planned for Star Driver. However, there have never been any from Sentai.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
If this is getting a bluray then I would say it's most definitely getting a dub too. I'll probably get the bluray version. Smile
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
January release likely means no dub :/

This license was announced as part of their January solicitations at Anime Weekend Atlanta. They didn't just announce it and then sped up their release. They've probably had the title for several months already. They'll have more than enough time to complete a dub.
RyougaZell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I just hope this means the manga will be localized by someone else soon.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Sentai has already stated they won't do sub-only blurays. The market is too small and the costs too high. So yes, it will be dubbed.

Also, yes there have been sub-only blurays before and Bandai currently has them planned for Star Driver. However, there have never been any from Sentai.

I find that hard to swallow, releasing a subtitle only blu-ray, has got to be cheaper than a dubbed blu-ray, NIS America has released Arakawa under the bridge subtitled only, on blu-ray, and they are releasing kimi no todoke on blu-ray sub only,

I do not understand why sentai filmworks can't do the same, I would have bought maid-sama, and MM, if only it was on blu-ray, I don't mind sub only releases.

so they are not being 100% truthful in my opinion...
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
That soon dose it mean that it wont be dubbed
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Meeehhh... I'll think about it. Not too excited about this one. Besides, I've already watched them on Crunchyroll. I'll let my wallet decide. I started liking the series more when the goddesses arc began anyway.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I find that hard to swallow, releasing a subtitle only blu-ray, has got to be cheaper than a dubbed blu-ray, NIS America has released Arakawa under the bridge subtitled only, on blu-ray, and they are releasing kimi no todoke on blu-ray sub only,

I do not understand why sentai filmworks can't do the same, I would have bought maid-sama, and MM, if only it was on blu-ray, I don't mind sub only releases.

so they are not being 100% truthful in my opinion...

Yes, and they charge as much for subonly set as Sentai charges for a dubbed one. What works for one type of release or for one company won't always work for another. If Sentai increased their prices to match NISA's then they might be able to do subbed blurays profitably. Plus, you have to remember that some series won't have the sales potential for bluray, whether subbed or dubbed. And things like authoring costs can vary depending on the replicator being used.

Also, have you seen NISA's profit statements so that you can verify they are making money on their anime releases? We have no way of knowing if they are profitable or not. Remember Bandai Visual? They did pricier subonly HD releases as well and didn't last long.

Sorry, I'm going to take the word of people with marketing and sales numbers over your gut feeling.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
That soon dose it mean that it wont be dubbed

Do you ever read any other posts before you comment? Maybe you should try it once in a while. Read the comments above.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Woo! This just made my day!.....*looks at his DVD shelves*.....must cram it on there! Lol.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
If you guys took a minute to look at all of Sentai's BD releases you'll see that they are all dubbed. And because this series is getting a BD release I am pretty positive it is getting dubbed. I have yet to see Sentai release a sub-only BD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I could have sworn they had announced both seasons in the first place but...you know, cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2