• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Learning by Osmond-sis

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackseer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Haven't listened yet, but it's a nice surprise. Was pretty sure this week would be ANNCast-less because of the preview guide.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I have studied eden of the east quite a bit. taki's main idea for how to reform the country is actually more or less the same as agamben's whatever being. the whole series is about the evils of bio-politics and how you can only save the country via removing bio politics. and thus why you have the ending scene with taki and a certain person with taki saying we have a lot more work to do, because biopolitics can't really be solved for. I am more then happy to actually talk about it in depth if anyone want's to. I actually made eden of the east into a negative argument for my debate team, and we are stilling keeping it under wraps a little bit so I don't want to be talking about it to much unless someone actually wants to have a conversation about it
blackseer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I love Death Proof. Besides the fact that it was released in my country after Inglorious Basterds... But still, a very good movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ANNZac:
Quote:
Searching for Comedy in the Muslim World

Was that supposed to be a hit?

Quote:
Did they ever run [Streets of Fire] at the New Beverly?

Yeah. A few years ago. I walked out on boredom, when it got to the R+B scene in the van, though. But you can request SoF any time and they'll eventually find a reason to play it.

Quote:
I get intimidated

Kon was a very open and amicable guy in person, though.

Quote:
Asked in Los Angeles during a Q+A and said he had not seen it

Yeah, by me. Cool

Andrew:
Quote:
Fountain versus Millennium Actress

I was comparing it w/ Tezuka's Phoenix myself.[/quote]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
That british accent is amazing, it sounds like Freddy from the Grand Theft Auto III trilogy.

I got into anime through my love of animation as well. Still a huge fan of animation like Young Justice, and Thundercats, really enjoyed the new Avengers and My Little Pony series as well.

My view on Satoshi Kon is that he was a dependable Director, his work was almost always good and Millenium Actress was a masterpiece. I was really disappointed by Perfect Blue (in particular I couldn't take the stalker character or agent seriously), by the end of the movie I was joking about how the killer was a student of Master Asia. Tokyo Godfather is simply a weird movie, we go from a foreigner trying to kill a mobster, kidnapping one of the homeless people, to the foreigner basically inviting Miyuki so he can have a pleasent visit with his mother. There was no middle ground with that movie. Paranoia Agent was excellent for being a collection of the life of a few people connected through shonen bat. As I mentioned Millenium Actress was easily his best work, the way he tells Chiyoko's past through movies was amazing, and I really love the way the cameraman and Tachibana interact with the movie flashback.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Still listening to it, but I just want to say that while I agree about the overall comments about Drive--it's about the atmosphere, and just how Really Cool everything is--but I wouldn't agree that there's nothing to analyze. The movie is clearly focused on masuclinity; the Kenneth Anger reference with the scorpion is obvious (and I read an interview where either Refn or Gosling confirms this), and the Leone/Melville-esque anti-hero that Gosling embodies is the perfect showcase for this. But instead of just rooting for him like we would in those Eastwood spaghetti westerns or Le Samourai, Refn throws in Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver to show someone who wants to be a hero, but is really just a lonely sociopath.

The Driver is someone who belongs in the movies, and he tries to apply this persona to his life by constructing his little family fantasy with Mulligan's character. But the idea of a protective, controlling and physically defensive personality is undermined by the Driver's violence--a logical conclusion to his values--where his own nature is not condusive to living the lie he tries to construct for himself. This is also destructive to everyone around him (this is reinforced a number of times throughout the movie, but most strongly in the climax and aftermath of the elevator scene, along with the reference to the story of the scorpion and the frog), and so he is forced to remove himself from that world he observes but can never fully be a part of. I can understand if someone just thinks that's mostly meta analysis, but it does hold some real world value in that the aforementioned concepts of masculinity are actual "ideals" for a lot of people. After all, a lot of people might glance at Gosling's character--or just his character type, since it's just aping them--and think that they would like to have his bad-ass qualities. The movie seems push against that idealization (even though I think Refn does think the Driver and what he does is really cool, considering how stylized it is).

Just a bit of thought. But even with all that, Drive is still about its style, and I [expletive] love it.

I'm hesitant about 50/50, primarily due to Seth Rogen's presence, but I'm probably gonna give it a shot. Jackie Brown is actually my favorite Tarantino film, primarily because it's his only one where he seems to do something beyond expressing his love of movies. Looking forward to hearing about the Miyazaki and Kon bits later in the podcast!
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Another good show this week. Smile

Andrew was a great guest this week. He seems like a really nice person, and I enjoyed his accent. Smile I have read his book, Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was also nice to hear perspective on the anime industry outside of the US and Japan.

On the topic of how people get into anime, I think I can say it's a combination of liking the fact that its Japanese and that I also enjoy animation. My father was in the Navy when I was a kid, and when I was really young (between the ages of one and five), my family lived in Japan because my father was stationed there in the mid-to-late 1970s. Obviously, being as young as I was, I don't have a lot of concrete memories of being there, but I do have some vague memories of watching Candy Candy on TV. My sister and I used to have a 45 RPM record from Japan that had the theme song for Candy Candy on it, but I managed to accidentally break the record when I was about nine years old. I'm still kicking myself over it to this day.

After Japan, my father was stationed in Hawaii for four years. Near the end of our time there, Star Blazers started airing on an indepenent channel. At first, I didn't realize it was Japanese until my father pointed out that while we lived in Japan, he had taken us to a theater to see Star Wars, and that the theater across the street was showing a Space Battleship Yamato movie and that there was a long line at the theater showing the Yamato movie. Of course, this would be followed up by Voltron and Robotech; luckily, by this point, my sister and I were both savvy enough to figure out pretty quickly that these were originally Japanese in origin.

After Robotech, I had pretty much drifted away from anime, because there simply wasn't really any of it showing on television where I was living. Instead, I focused a little more on American animation, which lef to my becoming a major fan of Jem.

I really didn't get back into anime again until the early 2000s, when my older children started watching Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!; while I was aware of Sailor Moon in the mid-1990s, and I even saw an episode or two when it was airing on a local station, I never got into it. About four years ago, I learned of a position that opened up at a website for an anime writer. When I talked to my husband about applying for it, he told me that he would support me doing it if I was willing to go beyond what I knew and was interested in. He basically told me that if I'm going to do it, that I needed to do it right... and that I needed to be willing to go outside of my comfort zone.

So I applied for the opening, got the writer position, and started delving into anime more heavily than I ever had before. Thanks to my husband's nudge, I've really gotten more and more into anime than I ever had in the past, and discovered some new favorites, such as Fruits Basket, Satoshi Kon's works, Miyazaki's films, Inuyasha, Naruto (yes, I like Naruto, please don't laugh), Bleach, and other things as well. I've mentioned in other threads recently that I'm currently working my way through Neon Genesis Evangelion. At some point, I need to work my way through Gundam...

As for non-anime, I love The Lion King; however, I really have no desire to see it in 3D.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kj_4247

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
um, I think um, that your um guest was um not very familiar with public speaking or um radio. Every um sentence he spoke, um had about um 3 "ums" in it.

Um he um seems like a very nice guy and um i'm sure he's um good at his um job but the epsiode was um unlistenable. Good luck at um your new um position but please don't come back um to the podcast.

In his description of the eden of the east movies he used the word "um "53" times.

Speaking of I consider the Eden of the East series terrible for one simple reason. The show beings with our protagonist in front of the white house naked with a gun in one hand and his phone in the other. After re-watching the entire series and both films i still don't have a clue why.

I'm relatively sure that the creators changes the identity of the supporter half way through. The first time you see the flashback to Akira as a paper boy you see him talking to number one (who is recognizable by his large red ring) When they show the seen again in the films the hand is now the white gloved hand of a taxi driver.
You see the same man with the red ring at the very beginning of the series talking cryptically to Juiz bu that isn't explained either.
The Mad Titan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote
kj_4247 wrote:
um, I think um, that your um guest was um not very familiar with public speaking or um radio. Every um sentence he spoke, um had about um 3 "ums" in it.

Um he um seems like a very nice guy and um i'm sure he's um good at his um job but the epsiode was um unlistenable. Good luck at um your new um position but please don't come back um to the podcast.

Incredibly offensive and not to mention ignorant. When tv or radio interviews are broadcast a lot of these verbal pauses are edited out. Did you not see Zac's note explaining that, due to lack of time, it hadn't been edited to his usual standard?

As a fellow limey it was a joy to hear references to Marine Boy, Battle of the Planets and Ulysses 31. I worked in retail during the first big anime boom in the UK and after Akira it slightly petered out due to a lack of product of a similar quality. After all, how can you top that? The "second wave" came when Miyazaki films started to be reviewed in serious newspapers like the Guardian and Times.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote
kj_4247 wrote:
As, um, someone who captions actual human speech, uh, for a living let me say that this is an entirely normal speech pattern.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote
I watched Death Proof and Planet Terror each on their own once...something I'm never going to do again. The films don't work very well as standalone pieces (especially Death Proof with its extended build up). Grindhouse is one of the most unique experiences I've ever had going to the theater and even though the blu-ray was hobbled with only lossy audio, it's really the only way those movies (sorry, that movie) should be watched.

I'll likely watch Jackie Brown sometime soon. It's been a decade since the last time I watched it (a trend I've noticed for a great deal of the films that are coming out on blu-ray now), and I'm quite excited to revisit it.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
kj_4247 wrote:

Have you ever read a epic poem? When Homer repeats a line or an epithet, what he is doing is creating a place where the mind can relax and compose what is to be said next. When people aren't reciting poetry, they will use utterances like 'um' and 'y'know' to give themselves the same pause to work out what precisely they what to say. Personally, I didn't even notice the 'um's, and it is an unfair criticisms for a natural speech pattern.

Moving on, I agree this autumn season is very lackluster. But I'm okay with that. We've had some really good shows this year, Madoka, PenguinDrum, Stein's Gate, and Usagi Drop to name a few. So they mailed in the last season. It's okay. Besides, I'm really busy this time of year, with company travel, NFL and MLB Playoffs, and such. I don't have the time to watch a lot of shows, and so a bad fall crop gives me to get caught up on some older stuff.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
I've liked most of what I have seen so far this season with the exception of one show that I am dropping after the first episode. I should have more time now that auto racing season is starting to come to a closer in the next few weeks and I lost most of my interest in the NFL during the off season with the lockout.

Of course that means I will probably be dropping more shows along the way, I do not think I could follow ten or so shows at one time while watching stuff in my backlog and watching other shows to review.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
I also got into anime because I enjoy watching animated shows and also how anime back in the 90's had nudity and crazy violence so I kinda had to watch it away from parental supervision, hahahahahaha.

Awesome podcast, it was fun listening to you guys talking about Satoshi Kon, really want to watch The Dream Machine. Oh, and I think Porco Rosso is Miyazaki's best film.

Gonna have to watch Pulp Fiction and see if I remember any of lines or quotes from the film.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
I also became interested in anime because I liked animation. I was never a particularly avid fan of Disney, although their television animation did loom very large in my youth. Part of why I never cared too much for Power Rangers was that it was in live-action; aside from a very brief period of rejection around when I was a highschool freshman, I always sought it out. Anime offered cartoons about things that were too rare in western cartoons, so I found it appealing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1