• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Magic Begins Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm sure that Shana stuff is fun to explain to visitors, that's why I stick mainly to robots. Anime figures is one thing, half naked girl figures and what not, not so easy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I really need to clean my shelves and take some pictures.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
steev-sama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
While I haven't seen the last 5-6 episodes, Zegapain turned out to be a very interesting series over the course of its run, with its sci-fi elements and a plot twist that occurs roughly around the half-way point. It's definitely worth checking out.

Felt like this needed repeating.

I will admit that the first 5 episodes only left enough information to keep your interest, but as the series progresses it really becomes an outstanding title. The character development, plot, drama, and action really mix well together. Even though you can probably relate a lot of the plot points to other more famous works (books, movies, etc), it still has a lot of freshness about it. By the end of the anime it became one of my favorite mecha titles. Plus, the animation is fabulous.

I am looking forward to pick up more DVD releases of this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
To the shelf-obsessed dude... you get a nice Lum animation cel, with background- and you thumbtack it to the wall?

Seriously, take that in and get it professionally framed. You got a Michael's Arts and Crafts near you? They do half-off sales on custom jobs like, once a month. If you ask you can take the cel home until all the pieces come in, then bring it back for the final assembly. During the sale should cost less than a hundred for a mat and frame- I know it sounds really pricey, but trust me, it's totally worth it to actually have something NICE to hang on the wall. (If you can afford it, get the Masterpiece-level glass. You'll see why in the store.)

Last edited by DuelLadyS on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's a lot of Shana.

I gave up on Suzuka after about 7 episodes and pretty much everything I read about what comes later proves I made the right decision in giving up. Suzuka is a bitch and she makes Naru look like Aoi in comparison.

Zegapain... I saw the first 3 or 4 episodes and I was interested in what was going on but I never got around to seeing more. I didn't care for the mecha portion from the little bit I saw as I didn't care for the designs nor the fact that they were CGed. I'll probably get this eventually, but I think I'll wait for a set on this one.
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
Yes Red Garden is generally a love it or hate it series, If you can appreciate the originality of the series you will love it.
Heretic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Yes Red Garden is generally a love it or hate it series, If you can appreciate the originality of the series you will love it.

Agreed. I loved Red Garden, but a friend of mine hated it quite a bit.

I totally agree with the Suzuka review. The series should have ended when he got with Honoka. Kiminozo (Rumbling Hearts) is far superior even though I absolutely hated the ending, but that was mainly because I took "sides", and my side lost. It was still a well done ending. With the new OVA coming out I should have no complaints.

Awesome collection in the Shelf Life. I love the Shana shrine in the middle Smile . I can't wait to get new shelves so I can send my pics in.
uLTraCarL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
Heretic wrote:
Kiminozo (Rumbling Hearts) is far superior even though I absolutely hated the ending, but that was mainly because I took "sides", and my side lost. It was still a well done ending. With the new OVA coming out I should have no complaints.

The world needs more Haruka fans, yes?! Very Happy Twisted Evil

Quote:
Instead, it continued to barrel ahead into teen-dramatics territory, where everyone is even more unhappy. Now that Yamato and Honoka are dating, Suzuka is intensely jealous. However, she's still a bitch. Only now, she's trying to win Yamato back, which makes Honoka unhappy, because it's clear that her new boyfriend still has feelings for the other girl. This leads to catfights, tears, and basically a story that can't possibly end well.

This really sums up the entire anime series in a nutshell
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I watch Suzuka for the same reason that I always walk down the Bratz toy aisle at Target—to get angry, so I can rant about society.

WHY is it we haven't hung out yet?? Oh yeah, we live in different states. Still, woman! You are amazing!1 Anime hyper

I'm really interested in Red Garden. Maybe I skimmed the previous reviews too quickly, but somehow I missed that there was singing involved! It sounds a bit awkward, but my curiosity is peaked. Also- damn, Robert has some nice shelves. I can't wait to someday make a well-organized geek room and send pics in. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Quote:
I watch Suzuka for the same reason that I always walk down the Bratz toy aisle at Target—to get angry, so I can rant about society.

WHY is it we haven't hung out yet?? Oh yeah, we live in different states. Still, woman! You are amazing!1 Anime hyper

I'm really interested in Red Garden. Maybe I skimmed the previous reviews too quickly, but somehow I missed that there was singing involved! It sounds a bit awkward, but my curiosity is peaked. Also- damn, Robert has some nice shelves. I can't wait to someday make a well-organized geek room and send pics in. ^^

Unfortunately, Red Garden is a series that may seem cliche to some people, but I don't believe that. Very very few anime have had America as the base setting for a show. I also found the 2nd review to be extremely ridiculous with regards to the dub. The Dub fits so much more naturally then the Japanese with regard to this show. When you see an american character on this show do you honestly feel that hearing Japanese come out of an american is natural, I'm glad there is an english dub for this.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Reason I watch anime No. 9. : They never break into song when things go wrong. If I want that I'll watch a Disney cartoon.
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Its refreshing to see someone find Suzuka as irritating as I did. My friend just loves the series and I can't see why.

I'm glad I didn't have Bratz toys when growing up. It would have done some majour corruption.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
calawain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Red Garden was pretty much unwatchable for me. I rented the first volume from Netflix and couldn't finish it. All the girls screaming at everything and the random breakout into song just put me off.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I so want that DragonBall Movie, 'cause I want a great laugh, and I'm sure it'll provide.

Shananites, definately something that is awkward to discuss with others. Atleast with me, it's Die-Cast Cars, Robots, and Dragon Ball/Z/ GT figures.
Dorian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Every bit of scariness that's built up during the episode is thrown out the window when people start singing in unison.

Sounds scary to me.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I know it sounds really pricey, but trust me, it's totally worth it to actually have something NICE to hang on the wall. (If you can afford it, get the Masterpiece-level glass. You'll see why in the store.)

Agreed. I got my CCS cel framed professionally, and it looks gorgeous hanging on my wall. It's the first thing people notice when they walk into my living room.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3