• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virginian Teen Suspended over Names in 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
I blame video games, liberals, republicans, and Iran.

It's almost criminal that you forget to blame Bush. Wink

I personally blame Sarkozy though.

Slightly more seriously: Public schools have always been a "safety first, everything else (including freedom, common sense, and students' rights) second" environment. One should not be surprised at the suspension, especially considering the volatile climate surrounding the school shooting fad at the moment.

Yes I call it fad. It is a fad. A classic case of Stand Alone Complex. Razz
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Yes I call it fad. It is a fad. A classic case of Stand Alone Complex. Razz

A Stand Alone Complex is a copy without an original. In this case, there was an original in the Death Note manga itself. As a result, no, this is not a Stand Alone Complex.

Anyway, this kid was an idiot, plain and simple. Whether it's good or bad, we live in an era where our schools have to be extremely cautious of student behavior. As we've seen in past incidents of school violence, certain unhealthy behaviors tend to be precursors to that violence, and making a list of real-life classmates that you wish death upon is one of those behaviors (the fact that this student, according to his own friends, fits the "quiet and reclusive" persona of most school shooters is just icing on the cake, but I digress). Joke or no, this kid should have had sense enough to know that making even a mock hitlist would raise some serious suspicion, and whatever punishment he gets for unnerving his classmates just for some cheap anime fanboy sh*ts & giggles is fully deserved.

Just because this person was imitating an anime/manga is no reason to excuse his actions. He engaged in a threatening action towards his fellow students, and by that point whether he was being serious or just crying wolf is irrelevant.

Last edited by Nagisa on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but the kid was a fricking moron!

As a senior in High School, he should know by now how parents and administrators and law enforcement feel about lists like that...innocent or not.

It's stuff like this make me wish that there were laws on the books for "Because you were stupid!"
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
A kid on the Adult Swim Anime & Manga section of the gamefaqs boards made some posts a few weeks back about his friends getting mad at him and telling the principal about his Death Note notebook, and he said he'd probably get suspended. He ain't posted since then, so I wonder if it's this same kid. If it is, it was blown out of proportion, since apparently he only had 3 names in it, and it was his friends who knew about it, and knew it wasn't serious, and didn't take it seriously, until he got in a fight with his friends, and they decided to blackmail him.

But if it's not the same kid, I retract my previous statements.

*edit*
And does anyone think the original article tried for a bit of exaggerated sensationalism by linking to a Death Note fan site that lets you input people's names, instead of just linking to some sort of official site?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ladymercury

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
Its finally happening over here now. Watch this manga get banned like it did in China.
abominaSion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
I was expeled,not suspeded and for excesive tardiness.*uck high school

If the a famous anime series did not exist, this incident would be more serious(wich is weird but true). Every popular anything has the mimic effect to it(a movie about cellhphone hacking=cellphone hacking, a show about fighting=fighting). And how would someone go as to mimic Deathnote. I'm sure most people have been in a similar situation in school, things always get taken out of context and proportion.
Ariake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
Uh, guys, what do you think a death note is? You write down the names of people you want to die. You know, croak, suffer, kick the bucket. It's a hit list. You don't just going around "innocently joking" to kill somebody, not in this day and age when you hear about school shootings and violent crime on the news every day. I can't believe there are people who would actually defend this moron.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
I agree with everyone who thinks the kid was an idiot. Dress it up however you want something like this is going to be seen as a hit list. Now 20 or maybe even 10 years ago it might just be a bad joke. However that is not the case anymore with school shootings at a high. it's like thinking it's funny to yell FIRE! in the middle of crowded room or club (which btw is illegal if it isn't true FYI). Plus all you guys defending this kid seem to be forgetting one very important fact; he was only suspended! Do you know how many freaking times I got suspended? I know, shocking huh. The point is he was not expelled or arrested. Simply suspended and only for a few days more then likely. I'd say he should simply count his blessings and learn from it and move on with his life.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:22 am Reply with quote
Nagisa:
Quote:
Whether it's good or bad, we live in an era where our schools have to be extremely cautious of student behavior. As we've seen in past incidents of school violence, certain unhealthy behaviors tend to be precursors to that violence, and making a list of real-life classmates that you wish death upon is one of those behaviors

You're right. Maybe we should be even more cautious and hack into their Live Journals. Of course, the violent incidents had more to do with their easy access to guns than anything else, but controlling thought is the only way to prevent other people from being as violent as their leaders...I mean, if only those Tibetans would just accept whatever state religion China imposes on them, they needn't have to worry about being considered dangerous to others, either... Rolling Eyes

Ariake:

Quote:
You don't just going around "innocently joking" to kill somebody, not in this day and age when you hear about school shootings and violent crime on the news every day.

Anne Coulter does it...

Anyway, I imagine Viz will be re-releasing the manga and anime with disclaimers to cover their asses.

Last edited by GATSU on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Lemwon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
Here's another DN controversy story to throw in the pile.

Nevermind how the school handled it, the kid was an idiot.
Naru2099

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quote
Kid got what he deserved. Not like everyone know what Death Note is and in most eyes would look like something suspicious.
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Nagisa:
Quote:
Whether it's good or bad, we live in an era where our schools have to be extremely cautious of student behavior. As we've seen in past incidents of school violence, certain unhealthy behaviors tend to be precursors to that violence, and making a list of real-life classmates that you wish death upon is one of those behaviors

You're right. Maybe we should be even more cautious and hack into their Live Journals.

Actually some schools, like the ones in my area, request that students should refrain from making negative comments about any other student, faculty member and the school in itself on their blogs. How they monitor these blogs, I have no idea. =/
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quote
Ladymercury wrote:
Its finally happening over here now. Watch this manga get banned like it did in China.

Highly doubtful and that's a bit of an exaggerated pessimistic way of looking at it. A way that only inevitably gets people worried and up in arms when they shouldn't be. They blamed other events on games like GTA or various metal and rap bands and those events actually occurred and made headline news.

In this case it's just a kid caught with a hitlist. Most people will never even hear about this and those that will most likely will be focused on another issue within a week. You look at metal and rap and GTA and other components that have been blamed for other events that made headline news for weeks though and they're all still out there and going strong in spite of that attention.

As much as we all like to talk about how the government is out to get us the fact is there's a huge difference between the control exercised by a government like that of China and a government like that of the US. At most ya might get a sticker reminding you it's got adult themes or some vocal group protesting its existence. It's quite unlikely the government will touch it for this type of an incident and since it's one of TP's key properties right now it's not likely they'll stop publishing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to NBC12, school's principal wrote a letter to the school's parents in which he explained Death Note's premise by pointing out a Death Note website. This website, which has no official Death Note affiliation, allows visitors to enter names of people and the fictional circumstances in which they would "die."

I wonder how this principle even found a Death Note website. I can understand the school's reaction to the event, how should you react if when you have no idea about the series you see something that says "Death Note"? I think the right choice of action was taken, the student should have been a little more careful about what he was doing.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote
as a high school senior myself, and in colorado no less (my heart and soul goes out to those involved at Columbine), i know how much the incidents over the last few years have effected us. you really do have to be the worst idiot in the world to think that that kind of thing wont raise suspicions. at least he was caught and given an apropriate punishment (expulsion would have been a bit much). the school should keep him suspended untill an investigation into his mental health is done, which if it really was a joke shouldn't take that long.

last year, my junoir year, which is when the VT and at least 3 other school related incidents of violence occured (one of which was also in colorado), some a-hole at my school decided to try and get us a "snow day" by painting a threat in a bathroom. he mentioned "let's see how safe we really are" because we had just begun to enforce a lockdown procedure in light of the recent tragedies. that boy (it was a boys restroom) should count his blessings that he wasn't caught, because that is a legitimate threat, even if meant as a joke.

the deathnote thing is a little different, for now. we do not know the exact contents of his notebook aside from the fact that there were names in it. if he did not openly state that he was going to kill those students, the punishment is appropriate. if he did, then criminal charges should be raised.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9