• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virginian Teen Suspended over Names in 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quote
Naru2099 wrote:
Kid got what he deserved. Not like everyone know what Death Note is and in most eyes would look like something suspicious.

See, even if you did know -- even *more* if you did know -- writing "I want these people to die" is something of very very grave [and legitimate!] concern.

Some people, I think, are so so concerned by intervention by authority potentially violating people's freedoms that they'd rather wait until things had already Gone Irreparably Wrong just to be extra-special double sure it wasn't being done needlessly.

This is... a little short-sighted, I think.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quote
Ariake wrote:
Uh, guys, what do you think a death note is? You write down the names of people you want to die. You know, croak, suffer, kick the bucket. It's a hit list. You don't just going around "innocently joking" to kill somebody, not in this day and age when you hear about school shootings and violent crime on the news every day. I can't believe there are people who would actually defend this moron.

I defend him if it's the same kid I'm thinking of, who got blackmailed by his friends who knew about their names being in it, and weren't feeling threatened. Potential hitlist? Bad. Potential hitlist that is being used as blackmail against an ex-friend? Bad too.

If that story is false, then I'll agree. A random misinterpreted death list could understandably upset parents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
...but controlling thought...

Orwellian thought control and bringing action against someone when he makes a list of PEOPLE AROUND HIM HE WANTS DEAD are not the same thing.

GATSU wrote:
I mean, if only those Tibetans would just accept whatever state religion China imposes on them, they needn't have to worry about being considered dangerous to others, either... Rolling Eyes

Hey, you're the one who compared a population of oppressed people to unsocialized nutcases, not me. Good to know you think so little of Tibet's plight.

GATSU wrote:
Anne Coulter does it...

So GATSU's moral compass is guided by the actions of Ann Coulter. If Ann does it, it's okay, right?

Somehow, for GATSU to say something like that makes so much sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
I guess, this kid didn't pay attention to the ramifications of someone FINDING OUT about a "Death Note" (even if it isn't real). Laughing

Too bad he didn't the same drawer mechanism. Y'know, the one that lights the notebook on fire in case someone unauthorized finds it. I would laugh hard if the house burns down from that. Laughing
abominaSion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
this guy at my school writes names down in a death note notebook that came with his anime dvd lol

i told him he was gonna get in trouble for it, can't beleive he only got suspended for it though lol

thats the school i go to, that girl is lying too, she isn't friends with him lmao, i thought that was so funny the way people lie on tv

School killings/shootings are horrible crimes and that has ben established but it turns out this whole situation is one big misunderstanding and is being punished accordingly.

Please stop posting"killing people is bad"or"wishing death on someone is bad" Again that has ben established.
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
There's several people that have brought death note to school and have names written in them. No one takes it seriously though Razz I've brought my death note to school, but i don't have any names written in it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quote
Wing_Goddess wrote:
There's several people that have brought death note to school and have names written in them. No one takes it seriously though Razz I've brought my death note to school, but i don't have any names written in it.

Keep in mind that this was a MILITARY academy, which does have live artillery and such. You can't take a chance with such matters, especially with what it could have been implying.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:43 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Quote:
According to NBC12, school's principal wrote a letter to the school's parents in which he explained Death Note's premise by pointing out a Death Note website. This website, which has no official Death Note affiliation, allows visitors to enter names of people and the fictional circumstances in which they would "die."

I wonder how this principle even found a Death Note website.

Consider the first Yahoo! search AND Google search yields.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Note

....i'm pretty much wondering how this principal glossed over Wikipedia AND the official Japanese AND Viz's own site to the site listed in the article. "I'm Feeling Lucky?" button on Google?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
As much as we all like to talk about how the government is out to get us the fact is there's a huge difference between the control exercised by a government like that of China and a government like that of the US.

Yeah, we're actually a lot more like Pakistan.
Rolling Eyes

Nagisa:
Quote:
Orwellian thought control and bringing action against someone when he makes a list of PEOPLE AROUND HIM HE WANTS DEAD are not the same thing.

Can you prove he wanted them dead? Did he threaten them? What kind of twisted logic is it when someone gets suspended for writing something they kept to themselves, but they go easy on a guy who leaves a noose around?

Quote:
Hey, you're the one who compared a population of oppressed people to unsocialized nutcases, not me.

China would consider those oppressed people to be unsocialized nutcases, too...

Quote:
So GATSU's moral compass is guided by the actions of Ann Coulter. If Ann does it, it's okay, right?

No, but if she can do it, and no one questions her, then why is it not ok for him to do it without being questioned?
jigoku_hime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quote
Now I know why my mother is strongly against the anime Death note and why she scolded me when I bought the merchandise of the death note notebook. She must have sensed that I'd do something like that guy did. But honestly, I wouldn't do something like that...hell no! I'd never waste the pages of my precious notebook over some useless names Twisted Evil
Nermal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote
I bet someone else at some neighboring school wrote in their death note that "[this particular Virginian teen] will write people's names in a death note, get suspended, and then die from lack of military schooling."
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

No, but if she can do it, and no one questions her, then why is it not ok for him to do it without being questioned?

Excuse me, minor nitpick: Nobody has been able to identify if Ann Coulter is either of the male or female species. Or it's bi-sexual or a post-op.
Steroid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
Whatever happened to free speech and free thought? I don't think this kid is an idiot, I think the school officials are the idiots. One person's right to think and say what he wants is more important than a million people's lives. If he had made a list of people to give christmas presents to, that would be fine, but a death list isn't? That's just stupid bias against death.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
Whatever happened to free speech and free thought? I don't think this kid is an idiot, I think the school officials are the idiots. One person's right to think and say what he wants is more important than a million people's lives. If he had made a list of people to give christmas presents to, that would be fine, but a death list isn't? That's just stupid bias against death.

Um actually there are rules in the Canadian Charter, and im sure the American Constitution that stuiplate that no, free speech ISNT worth a million lives. That's why you see people performing hate crimes against minorities being sent to jail. Are you going to suggest that they have the right to say whatever they want? Even at the expense of others?

And a bias again't death? Who doesnt have a bias againt death? No one wants to see others die. Having a hitlist, even a fake one at school should get a person suspended. End of story.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Having a hitlist, even a fake one at school should get a person suspended. End of story.

I totally agree. Anybody who actually writes down names of people they want to 'die' in a fake death note notebook needs to grow up, get a life, and/or get some help. There's a lot of demented teenagers out there and I really can't blame schools for being cautious.

It's kind of funny, call me a pessimist but the first time I heard about the premise of DN I thought, 'If this ever gets really popular there's gonna be so many issues with death threats and such...' I don't think it's too surprising. Even the creator had to know stuff like this would happen if the series became popular, it just sort of goes with the territory. CN certainly knows it, considering DN's midnight timeslot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9