• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virginian Teen Suspended over Names in 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
subaru wrote:
since when we are not allowed to hate someone???

Unless the kid involved is actually going to do something about his death list, it is just a little game for him...... just like a voodoo doll kind of curse. We all have a list of people that we hate in our life. Please don't overreact~

Did you even read this post?

We all hate other people, it's human nature. BUT, other people have made lists, and not on something with "Death Note" on it and have carried through with what they wrote down.

The school was not over-reacting - they were protecting the HUNDREDS of other students from a potential danger.

Yes, we know NOW that he is a complete and total moron but the administration did not know that at the time and chose to protect the Many over protecting the One. How were they to know that he wasn't serious? They made the right choice.

For example: If this kid was at your high school and a teacher found Death Note book with a list with the names of students, teachers and staff along with writing that indicated that the writer wanted everyone to die and the teacher decided that "Oh, he's just pretending just like that manga. He doesn't mean any harm. He's just being a typical kid and all kids hate certain people. I'm sure this is just completely innocent."

And then the next day, this kid walks into school armed to the teeth and begins to kill people - the people who were on that list. The list that the teacher called "innocent."

I can guaran-damn-tee that YOU would be scared sh**less, if not dead or wounded, and your parents would be screaming for the head of the teacher who let this kid slide.

I've said it before: When it comes to school situations, the protection of the Many outweighs the protection of the One.
Hong Kong Phooey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Free speech or not, writing down the names of people that you know and want "dead" is just asking for trouble. Its called common sense.

Seriously. How is this different from any other death threat a scary kid makes in school that students take seriously?

It happens all the time, and they usually get suspended.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...after clicking the link on the article, I've come to the following conclusions/questions.

1) Media information about "Death Note" is somewhat invalid.
- Not the official site, curious to know how the principal got THAT particular link. Considering, that info from Wiki, ANN, and other fansites had more reliable information, you know? The first 10 links posted should have been enough. >.>; Oh well, that's media deception for ya.

And they have ANN's link to the official live action movie listing...though referring to the series as a Japanese comic book...

I'm wondering how many pages it took to get to that particular site itself, or did the kid make that site himself...?

2) It's a good/bad thing that it is local. Considering that it's probably not as popular as Harry Potter, or The Da Vinci Code (Remember all THAT controversy? How many people actually watched/read those books? I saw the movie and thought nothing of it afterwards).

Death Note will be looked on very negatively though different sources, without even seeing the actual story, which really irritates me. If it's a small crowd, I'm fine dealing with that. I'm enjoying a good book.

3) I don't know what the hell that kid was thinking, truly. But the right thing was to suspend him, the title of the notebook itself made it look like a "hit list." He is indeed a trouble kid and needs to be monitored, whatever...Maybe he's not a troubled kid and just wanted to write out in the notebook to satisfy his imagination rather than bring a gun and shoot people...Or could've saved a possible event from happening. Though...

Ironically, we see kids that show many signs which may show that he/she may do something terrible, but are almost always ignored.
How about that, huh? I find that funny, in a sense.

Face it, we won't know unless the news media points it out, and even so, who knows if that would be true, otherwise somewhat...stretched. Will they update? Maybe, maybe not.
This was never updated, maybe the DN story will.

With that, I bid you, adieu. Black Friday is coming up, gonna see the pandemonium. xD
Lumicite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For example: If this kid was at your high school and a teacher found Death Note book with a list with the names of students, teachers and staff along with writing that indicated that the writer wanted everyone to die and the teacher decided that "Oh, he's just pretending just like that manga. He doesn't mean any harm. He's just being a typical kid and all kids hate certain people. I'm sure this is just completely innocent."

As a high school teacher I can assure that no teacher would take such a thing lightly regardless of whether or not we are familiar with the manga or the anime. Whether you realize it or not we are responsible for every child with whom we come into contact. We are the adults, if a child mentions or even writes in an essay or assignment that he is being harmed, or wishes to harm himself or another student, by law we must report it or lose our job. Often we are the first line of defense, such things are not jokes and we do not take them lightly;nor should you. As I understand this was a senior. A senior should have known better;I hope that my own students have more sense than this.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Lumicite wrote:
Quote:

As a high school teacher I can assure that no teacher would take such a thing lightly regardless of whether or not we are familiar with the manga or the anime. Whether you realize it or not we are responsible for every child with whom we come into contact. We are the adults, if a child mentions or even writes in an essay or assignment that he is being harmed, or wishes to harm himself or another student, by law we must report it or lose our job. Often we are the first line of defense, such things are not jokes and we do not take them lightly;nor should you. As I understand this was a senior. A senior should have known better;I hope that my own students have more sense than this.

Lumicite, trust me. I'm not taking this lightly. Please read my all of my previous posts and you can see that.

What bothers me are some of the other posters who seem to think that it is not such a big deal and that the school admin blew everything out of proportion.

I'm glad that there are teachers such as yourself out there. You aren't paid enough for what you have to put up with!
totalgeek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
As a 33 year old guy who grew up in an abusive family situation and was constantly picked on and ostracized in school, then grew up to face my share of interpersonal problems in relationships and work relationships I can honestly tell you that if I were to ever find a REAL Death Note I could probably fill the damn thing up and ask Ryuk for a second one!

Does this make me a sociopath? Maybe, maybe not. The truth is that if I were ever going to bring someone to harm I have had plenty of opportunities to do so before now and have always chosen NOT to take them. Why? Because I understand the difference between fantasy and reality.

This is an important thing that needs to be addressed in school situations like this. The administration/parents need to determine if the kid understands the difference between reality and fantasy. Probably 9 out of 10 times an incident like this will result in nothing more that an emotional release or fantasy play for the kid in question. The key to stopping school violence is to assess who really is that 1 in 10 who is likely to cross the line and cause severe harm to him/herself or others.

And don't forget that neither Harris and Kleibold nor Cho really had a "hit list" when they went on their rampages. They all simply killed at random in an effort to make others "pay" for the supposed crimes of humanity committed against them. As someone said earlier in this thread, the REAL dangerous people don't waste time writing a hit list, they spend it gathering weapons or practicing possible entry/escape routes.
Theorys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Did you even read this post?

We all hate other people, it's human nature. BUT, other people have made lists, and not on something with "Death Note" on it and have carried through with what they wrote down.

The school was not over-reacting - they were protecting the HUNDREDS of other students from a potential danger.

Yes, we know NOW that he is a complete and total moron but the administration did not know that at the time and chose to protect the Many over protecting the One. How were they to know that he wasn't serious? They made the right choice.

And then the next day, this kid walks into school armed to the teeth and begins to kill people - the people who were on that list. The list that the teacher called "innocent."

I can guaran-damn-tee that YOU would be scared sh**less, if not dead or wounded, and your parents would be screaming for the head of the teacher who let this kid slide.

I've said it before: When it comes to school situations, the protection of the Many outweighs the protection of the One.

So basically you're saying:
1. The kid innocently writes people's names down.
2. The kid could come in the next day and kill people on the list.
3. The teachers must act in accordance with a worse-case scenario based on that.

How about this:
1. LydiaDianne has a promiscuous avatar depicting a young girl wearing a sailor costume (ie Sailor Moon).
2. LydiaDianne could be a sexual predator based on using that avatar.
3. We should inform the authorities we have a sexual predator on the boards because I base my judgements on my opinions.

Wink still think the rights of the many outweigh the rights of the individual? It's easy to judge that kid when you're not that individual...

And that whole "getting fired" for not reporting is absolute bullshit. Teachers aren't perfect either: in high school I had teachers who were alcoholics, pediphiles, drug users, and one who was an open homosexual. These people are the ones judging whether or not my kid should be suspended because he has teen angst? Teen angst is nothing new...and neither are school shootings. Back in the 70s I remember hearing on the news in NYC about kids buring to death other kids. Violence happens, and you can't really stop it. It's just that there are real signs that psychologists would see in a person predisposed to violence.

A death note based off a fictional anime is for fun and stress-releaving...nothing more. Laughing Stop being a sad panda and try to relate to the kids you are teaching.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
What bothers me are some of the other posters who seem to think that it is not such a big deal and that the school admin blew everything out of proportion.

What bothers me is that Zero Tolerance has pretty much threw every single schools mental capabilities out the window and overgeneralizing even petty threats and blowing them up into something that it shouldn't be.

First it's Death Note. What next? You get the FBI called in for reading Battle Royale (The novel folks, not the Manga) or 1984 because your harboring intent to topple the US Government?? (Hi NSA, it's a joke, go back to tapping someone elses website.) I know, we'll impound your car for having Initial D in your ride, cause you might try a few DORIFUTO techniques on campus.

Oh, why not ban DBZ and Naruto? Can't have kids trying to make Spirit Bombs or Sexy No Jutsu moves!!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I think this whole thing is a crazy over-reaction. Do they apply the same consequeces to those who write the names down of fellow stutdents in a regular note book?

Am I the only one who owns a deathnote to write down my assignments? Important date, etc?

If he were using it as a school assignment book, there wouldn't be an issue. I thought the issue was writing down names & manner of death making it appear more of a hitlist than a school notebook. This runs over into the whole school shooter/bomber side.

Was this kid planning anything? It sounds as though it was a joke, but if he were planning something, don't you think he'd have a cover story, something like "It's a joke"? And if they let him off, woldn;t they have to let everyone off? & what if the next kid they let off really is planning something.

Is it over-reaction? Isn't most everything prefaced with "In the name of fairness"? A kid, fully aware of his school's zero Tolerance policy, brings a toy gun to school. If the school has thought to address the issue, maybe they've already dismissed toy guns & knives, though most of the schools I know of would retain their right to blanket expel kids thumbing their noses at the school's authority. To be fair=we don't have to think-it's a slam dunk action. Everyone is treated the same even if they are guilty of doing less. Cookie-cutter reactions so they don't have to deal with claims of discrimination or favoritism
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

What bothers me is that Zero Tolerance has pretty much threw every single schools mental capabilities out the window and overgeneralizing even petty threats and blowing them up into something that it shouldn't be.

First it's Death Note. What next? You get the FBI called in for reading Battle Royale (The novel folks, not the Manga) or 1984 because your harboring intent to topple the US Government?? (Hi NSA, it's a joke, go back to tapping someone elses website.) I know, we'll impound your car for having Initial D in your ride, cause you might try a few DORIFUTO techniques on campus.

Oh, why not ban DBZ and Naruto? Can't have kids trying to make Spirit Bombs or Sexy No Jutsu moves!!

Nice to see some people comment in this tread that actually know what their talking about and not just spouting cowardly knee-jerk reactionary crap.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
Oh come on, that's more "knee-jerk reactionary crap" than anything anyone has mentioned previously. People have the right to react suspiciously and cautiously given what goes on in schools these days. We've all learned what inaction can do an Virginia Tech, when there are lives at stake it's better to react than play the "wait and see" game hope they don't mean it.

Last edited by Keonyn on Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Theorys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
To be fair=we don't have to think-it's a slam dunk action.

Yeah, we wouldn't want our kids growing up to think now would we? Wink
Theorys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Oh come on, that's more "knee-jerk reactionary crap" than anything anyone has mentioned previously. People have the right to react suspiciously and cautiously given what goes on in schools these days. We've all learned what inaction can do an Virginia Tech, when there are lives at stake it's better to react than play the "wait and see" game hope they don't mean it.

And therein lies your faulty thinking. You think this is new. But really school violence has been going on for ages.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote
Theorys wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

And therein lies your faulty thinking. You think this is new. But really school violence has been going on for ages.

Yes, and making a list of people you wish to see dead has also been going on for ages.

Both are bad things, no?

Both of which have no place in the educational system. Both of which draw some form of punishment. Where's the problem?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Theorys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:28 am Reply with quote
I'd say there are bigger things to worry about than the Death Note; I'd worry about the Note that makes you Fat. Really you never know...a chubby kid could write down a bunch of skinny, good looking kids names down in the notebook, and then add lots of sugar to their soft drinks at lunchtime.

Check it out:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45326
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9