• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Anime Network Streams Episodes Online for Free

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SneakerPimp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sorry guys and gals! This feature is only available to US and Canadian residents at the present time. Please check back soon as we continue to strive to provide you with the best anime available online for free.

meh! Rolling Eyes
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quote
SneakerPimp wrote:
meh! Rolling Eyes

Quit complaining and watch. Although, it needs work when it comes to streaming video. With increased corporate attention towards the fansubbing scene again, this isn't a very bad alternative.
luhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:58 am Reply with quote
So will we get to see series in their entirety or is this just to preview the first few episodes and then we have to buy the DVDs to see the rest? Because that's the way Anime Network On Demand works on my cable system. (Well, the free part anyway. There is a pay-for-24hr-download part, but I'm not interested in paying for temporary, dubbed downloads.)

Quote:
meh! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Quit complaining and watch.

I think the point is, he/she can't watch.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
GREAT. I'm happy some people are catching on - this will be a good way to catch up on the first episodes of Karau, it's been awhile since I rented the first disc.

Hopefully more will be on its way in the future.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:07 am Reply with quote
I don't mind dubs, but I wish these online services (this goes for Funimation on iTunes too) would turn on the "songs and signs" caption track, even if they have to "burn" it in to the video. In five minutes of Pani Poni Dash, you'll miss a dozen jokes for lack of translations.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
So will we get to see series in their entirety or is this just to preview the first few episodes and then we have to buy the DVDs to see the rest? Because that's the way Anime Network On Demand works on my cable system. (Well, the free part anyway. There is a pay-for-24hr-download part, but I'm not interested in paying for temporary, dubbed downloads.)

I think this is moreso to advertise for the DVD boxsets most of these series have/are going to have [Comic Party and Jinki hit in January].

Given bandwith costs, I imagine ADV could cycle in newer episodes, or switch series around to keep things fresh, though basically, it means a lot of really extensive previews for everyone, which should help them decide whether they want the boxsets [or to subscribe to the Anime Network Smile] Good Advertising.

If you're outside the US/Canada, why not write a nice letter to Animax? http://www.animax-asia.com/ they operate across Asia, Latin America, and are now in Europe.
hara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
I can't watch it because I live in the EU but I think generally this is a great service. Gives you the chance to get an impression of a series before you actually buy it.
Too bad that none of the series there is interesting to me.

I guess they excluded non US residents because of foreign companies not wanting to have their markets invaded.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
luhead wrote:

I'm not sure, but if it's AD based it has a chance of being the entire series. (Maybe...)

Only time will tell!
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
They dont have the rights to broadcast it outside the US. Just like their Japanese counterparts dont stream outside Japan.

They will show the series in their entirety. It will just take a little bit to show them all.

Episodes will be up for 28 days each - plenty of time to view them.

There are still a few bugs in the system, but its pretty good for an opening salvo - I give them tons of credit for doing this and hope this is the wave of the future!
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
I guess this is kinda okay. It's in the vein of Toonami Jetstream mostly. But they would have to do a lot more to slow down fansubs.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Well isn't this what everyone has been screaming they want. FREE ANIME!!!

Remember this is just a start.(besides jetstream which doesn't appeal much to me due to it's shows)

Waiting for bitching to begin: But it's only three episodes, how am I suppossed to preview a show in only three episodes?! Or why would I want to watch the show in English!?(which is especially laughable for Gilgamesh) Remember, just a start.

That said I prefer watching my anime on TV, and I have a huge backlog right now, and I have seen most of those shows. However, to show my support for Ad based anime I am going to make sure everytime I leave my computer for more than 30 minutes that one of these episodes is playing. Just to make sur they get a one counts worth of advertising dollars.

Although I have been wanting to preview Kurau and Utawarerumono for the longest time now, so I will definitely watch those. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Although I have been wanting to preview Kurau and Utawarerumono for the longest time now, so I will definitely watch those. Anime hyper

Same here.

As much as I dislike ADV dubs, having a convenient place to leisurely catch some things I missed when they were new in Japan without having to even bother downloading anything (and without having to spend a great deal of cash) is very very welcome.

Hopefully it's successful enough to convince more companies to move in this direction.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Sure this is nice... if you lived in the US/Canada.....
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I remember looking into two prospective series the moment someone posted on the anime board it came up. I'm already sold on air gear, though still unsure on Pani Poni Dash. The other series that seem more serious I'm iffy about, since it'd be weird to just stop after three or four episodes. The epic stuff's best watched in one or two long sittings.

Great stuff though, exactly what I was hoping for.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
With a bit of luck ADV UK will follow the lead of their US parent company and do the same thing with some of their British licenses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2