• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the original Pet Shop of Horrors series up until the abrupt and weirdly contrived conclusion. Still, Count D is a great character and I love the strange and sometimes pretty human forms most of the pets take, so I was curious about the new series. But... I don't know, with no obnoxious star-t-shirt-wearing American stereotype BL-overtone cop to balance out D's calm, creepy grace, it seems like part of the original dynamic would be lost. I do love creepy human drama/animal tales, but I think I'll pass on this new series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
All I wanna know is if they finally got the translator to take his Prozac...and his anti-weeaboo pills. The bizarre story elements in the original series were nothing compared to all the randomly-placed f-bombs and honorifics...
manafairy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I really enjoyed the original Pet Shop of Horrors series up until the abrupt and weirdly contrived conclusion. Still, Count D is a great character and I love the strange and sometimes pretty human forms most of the pets take, so I was curious about the new series. But... I don't know, with no obnoxious star-t-shirt-wearing American stereotype BL-overtone cop to balance out D's calm, creepy grace, it seems like part of the original dynamic would be lost. I do love creepy human drama/animal tales, but I think I'll pass on this new series.

That's the same reason I'm iffy on picking up the new series. I mean, the stories are interesting and all, but the parts I tended to enjoy the most in the first series was when we got to spend time with series regulars rather than the customer of the week. If there's no co-star to develop, I don't know if I'll really get much out of it.....
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:30 am Reply with quote
I liked the original series a lot, even the conclusion, abrupt as it was. And while I think the Count is a good character and the stories are nice, I always liked Leon best, and leafing through the first two volumes of the new series left me with an empty feeling. This Lau Wu-Fei guy seems to be Leon's replacement, but given how the original series ended, it's a bit strange and disappointing to see Leon not only left out but apparently being replaced with a new character. (Especially because Lau is just not as fun, especially as a foil to the Count.)

The stories are still nice, the Count is still a fun character, but it's just not the same without Leon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1