• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MEGA ANSWERMAN!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
mike.motaku wrote:
Although...

A friend of mine went to Hungary this last summer and brought back some crazy hippo-shaped cookies with chocolate-dot eyes, dipped in white chocolate around the waterline and stuffed with a kind of marshmallow cream that I would put up against Pocky any day.

Mmmmm, hippos!

Oh God yes, you speak of Happy Hippos, the most glorious candy/snack ever invented. It's like Koala Yummies x1000. I tried them when I went to Italy because the name amused me, and then I was blown away. They're wafer cookies filled with a milky cream together with either a hazelnut or chocolate cream, and it is amazing. Years after trying them in Italy, someone suggested I look on Amazon to see if they had any import food. I ended up ordering a case. ^^;;;

Oh lordy. You probably shouldn't have told me this... *runs off to Amazon to look at Happy Hippo prices...*
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
ruro niko wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Ha. The one I run typically gets 5-10 people per showing. Weak.

Then again, I don't know how big your school is, and mine's a pretty small school. Also, the anime showings are part of a larger group that doesn't specialize in only anime, but all things nerdy (video games, comic books, Magic: The Gathering, etc.).

We're about a 24,000 undergraduate public university. We tend to have other interests in games and comics, but we're technically an anime club, and our core meetings consist of three hours of mostly watching anime every week.

Ah, I'm at a 2,400 student liberal arts school.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I guess know whose house she's staying at right now. She's also a Ramune junkie. I myself prefer those little soda candies. That or the high chews (right name?). They remind me of a Japanese Starburst or Now and Later. As for pocky, I like it but saying pocky is the best Japanese candy or best tasting snack is like saying chocolate chip cookies are the best cookies period. They also are the easiest to find in America so that no doubt helps out their popularity.

I didn't know that pocky was japanese. I assumed it was chinese because I can pick it up in chinese supermarkets.

Also, dunkaroos are as good as pocky IMO
rebii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
The issue of fansubs and first amendment rights, was ludicrous at best. The only thing that was more ludicrous was that you chose to feature it. It appeared to me the sole reason for choosing this was so you could rant again about fansubs. Your position is well known and talked to death. You had a better idea when you decided to drop fansub issues altogether(cursing was a translation issue, not fansub).

I look forward to many more excellent fansub free columns.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
rebii wrote:
The issue of fansubs and first amendment rights, was ludicrous at best. The only thing that was more ludicrous was that you chose to feature it. It appeared to me the sole reason for choosing this was so you could rant again about fansubs. Your position is well known and talked to death. You had a better idea when you decided to drop fansub issues altogether(cursing was a translation issue, not fansub).

Are you talking to Zac or the person who sent in the question?

As stupid as the argument is, Zac said that he's been getting it enough that it needed addressing. Regardless of how ludicrous an argument like that is, if enough people are getting behind it, it should be addressed rather than letting it fester like an undressed wound.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
rebii wrote:

4 nice pages of candy discussion, and now this.

My position on fansubs is not "well known", it's widely misinterpreted and improperly paraphrased.

Besides which, that answer had nothing to do with my position on fansubs. If people think whether or not fansubs are covered by the first amendment is something anyone reasonable would have a "position" on that isn't "that's silly, of course not" then yeah, I feel compelled to say something.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Wasabi-flavored rice crackers are by far the greatest Japanese snack. They give the satisfying crunch, and burn right up into your nasal passages, leaving you in tears. No nutritional value (positive or negative) either, so you don't even have to feel bad afterward!

Swearing, with societally reprehensible analogs in english, definitely exists in anime. Yes, the fansubbers often embellish, but most of the time it is appropriate. There are several translators who go to excess, but I've found most don't. But the real nasty language is on occasion there. In Black Lagoon Second Barrage, towards the end of the series, several parts of Megumi Toyoguchi's lines are censored out on the broadcast. It was the first time I'd heard language censored in anime in ten years, and with an obvious *bleep*.

As for the fansubs (again..), you honestly have to be an idiot to believe fansubs are protected by anything. A lot of the older fansubbers still drop series at the first C&D request from the license owner. The only thing protected is the translation itself. Being the work of an individual (though not endorsed by the owner of the Intellectual Property) it is still effort and thereby a work. This is the basis of why that anime distributor in Singapore, the name escapes me, has been getting in trouble from stealing english fansub translations. They are not crediting the creator of that translation, and thereby violating the fansubber's IP.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Deleted cringe.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
IP is actually closer to speech than physical property, but because we decided to form that contract, we signed our right to express certain things in certain ways at certain times. Unfortunately as of late it seems the contract has been getting terribly one sided.

I would disagree with you that IP is closer to speech than physical property. I'd suggest that some types of IP are expression (ie: art & entertainment), while others are not at all (ie: almost anything patented).

I'd also like to point out that most countries aren't suffering the same problems with the government making the "contract" too one sided (I'm not American), yet most of these countries, which are much less pro-corporation than the USA, still believe that IP is indeed property. In otherwords, it seems that even the reasonable people believe in IP.

In the USA you may have this painful movement towards the concept of licensed property as opposed to owned property. That when you buy something, you are merely acquiring the right to consume it in a particular fashion. In most of the rest of the world, the right to chose how to consume what we own remains the right of the consumer, who owns what they have purchased. Of course, consuming does not mean reproducing.

I'd also disagree that saying anything is expression. Parrots say plenty of things, as do TVs and radios. These creatures and devices are not expressing themselves when they repeat what was originally said. (No, Polly isn't expressing herself when she says she wants a cracker, she doesn't even know that she's going to get a cracker by saying that).

As for a constitutional version of common law, the concept of copyright in the USA is enshrined in the constitution; not an amendment, rather the constitution itself.

Section 8 wrote:
The Congress shall have Power

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

I think, and please don't be offended by this, one of the most serious problems with the United States, is that it, and many of its citizens, focus on the literal meaning of 250 year old laws. The right to bear arms, freedom of expression, etc... The creators of those laws did the best they could at the time, but there was no way they could foresee the realities of today's world.

Don't get me wrong, I believe consumers and citizens need to have their rights protected. I am very disturbed by the DMCA, and by the notion espoused by copyright maximalists that copyright owners should be the ones that dictate what rights consumers have when it comes to their IP.

New laws need to be created that protect a creator's rights, an investors rights, and a citizens rights. Concepts like "freedom of access to information" didn't exist in the 18th century, yet I feel that it is an exceptionally important topic today. How can freedom of information and author's rights be brought into accordance with each other?

In short, new laws need to be created to protect consumers, to allow them to properly and fully consume what they've rightfully purchased. While other laws (or perhaps sections of the same laws) need to be created or updated to continue to protect the rights of creators and "promote the progress of science and the arts."

The DMCA might have been in the right direction, but rather than being a single step, it seems to have been ten steps too many.

In other words, patent and copyright law are in serious need of reform.

On an aside, I'm a big believer in copyright alternatives, which is why Dan and I are discussing how to move certain parts of ANN to the creative commons.

Sorry, this post was all over the place.

-t
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Ughhh, Pocky is SO overrated. There are so many better cheapo Asian snacks, like mocha cappuchino chocolate flute wafers and Hello Panda.

I've always been partial to Pucca, myself. My BF likes those lil' mushroom-shaped things... I don't know what they're called, but they're made by Meiji. (We have concluded Meiji is our favorite Japanese snack company.) I also have a small collection going of Morinaga ramune candy and buy C.C. Lemon soda over Ramune whenever I can. Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Pocky has animal fats in it. I'm a vegetarian and thus can never eat it. I'm probably not missing anything.

This would make you a vegan, not a vegetarian.

Splittin' hairs and bein' pedantic, perfect activity for a Friday night!
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Humm worst manga I've ever read? I usually dont read manga unless I really like the series already, so I couldn't really say. But for me one of the least enjoyable manga experiences I've had was with Chobits. It's nicely drawn and all and I read it cause it was CLAMP and at the time I was catching up on the works of theirs that I hadn't read, but I really thought it was just terribly boring @.@

And no. Fansubs have never and will never be protected by any freedom of expression laws. I dont really get where anyone could come up with that argument in the first place. Sure, I watch fansubs all the time, but I don't try to delude myself into thinking that its legal, cause right now it isn't, and probably wont be any time soon.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Pocky has animal fats in it. I'm a vegetarian and thus can never eat it. I'm probably not missing anything.

This would make you a vegan, not a vegetarian.

Splittin' hairs and bein' pedantic, perfect activity for a Friday night!

Humm I have to disagree with you there. I dont think vegetarians eat anything meat, and that includes animal fat (carcass fat not milk fat) Some vegetarians dont use some soaps and other products cause of the animal fat in them. Guess it depends how far you go with it.

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/stumbling.html
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

The only problem may be your school, some schools require you to prove you have screening permission for everything and anything you screen.

-t

That happened at my college. Our club was no longer able to show DVDs because of that. But the club president made it sound like the college would not have had a problem with fansubs.

As for Pocky, I've had a bit and it was alright but nothing to get excited about nor something I have a particular desire to consume.

I thought Sarah Patterson had some good things to say on what was better between anime and manga, but I just can't agree with:

Quote:
And I've seen it happen much too often that an entire manga volume has been smashed into one episode of anime, a crime in my opinion. Every chapter in a manga ought to be its own episode – that's how its meant to play out, after all. No more than two chapters to an episode would be a good policy to adopt, if anyone up there is listening.

Manga is tailored to an individual – anime is for the masses.

I've seen a few situations where way too many chapters were crammed into a single episode, but that's the exception, not the rule, and it has nothing to do with inherent problems with the media. Its an issue with the director and pacing. In some cases, one chapter can make one episode fairly easy, but even then its probably not a straight adaptation and something has been added or changed. And since most anime is adapted from weekly series, dragging a single chapter over an entire episode would kill the pacing. There is a reason a single episode of Bleach can cover several chapters.

This idea that one chapter should equal one episode makes some highly dubious assumptions. Such as that its "the way its meant to be seen". Manga artists face the similar constraints that anime do. Anime have to fit things into 22 (roughly) minute chunks and manga have certain page counts they have to be. I recall reading at least one author mention that there were things she wanted to include but couldn't do to page and/or time constraints. I've also read authors say that this or that didn't turn out quite how they planned or expected. Not to mention that authors aren't necessarily free to do as they please and editors over them can decide that things need changing. (Masashi Kishimoto originally wanted to make the Third Hokage a dog, but his editor said no.) Most manga (and virtually all of what gets adapted into anime) are not these pure artistic expressions of authors. Oh, and most manga artists have assistants helping them. I'm not sure what she means by manga being "tailored to the individual" but the idea that manga isn't for the masses is ridiculous; (most) manga is for the masses just as much as (most) anime.

Most importantly, manga chapters simply aren't going to translate to a full episode of anime without dragging things out or changing and adding a lot. I'll use the Bleach example again. The second part of one particular fight took one episode of the anime, but 4-5 chapters of the manga. This kind of compression in the anime adaption happens a lot because what takes up 8 pages may only occur during 15 seconds. It would be absolutely ludicrous to draw that out over an entire episode. It have a single jump take two minutes and would make DBZ's fights look fast paced. While this is a more extreme example, it holds true for almost all manga. Even monthly manga usually don't make for a full episode without changing things up.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
now I want some pocky. -_- I hate being poor.

My local supermarket carries Pocky made in Thailand. Only available in chocolate and strawberry, and the packaging isn't very fancy, but it's much cheaper than the made in Japan variety and tastes exactly the same.

Regarding swearing in anime translations: It somewhat amuses me that Animax-Asia consistently replaces "damn it" with "darn it" in their own dubs/subs, but when they use a U.S. dub, they leave in "bullshit" and the like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8