• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bost Announces Global Anime Video-on-Demand from Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:22 am Reply with quote
Holy shit. Like a day after the open letter.

It has begun...
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
Hantsuki was good as well as Momo. I remember hearing about that other show, but couldn't remember what it was about. "Each episode features a different girl, doing different things in their normal days. The only similarities between the episodes is that every girl uses their mobile phones and that Hiro is always around and sees the girls." errr, yeah, I will be all over that one
Leuconoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
This sounds promising and would be something I'd like to support. I'm a litttle worried, though, not being too hot on new technology. Exactly how sure are we that this is entirely legitimate and above board? The refreshing lack of corporate obfuscation on the bost site has me confused.

Anyhow, generally a positive thing.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
I would buy something...........if it was available in the US, just where do the get off thinking Australia and new Zealand should be there starting place to market there stuff.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
I would buy something...........if it was available in the US, just where do the get off thinking Australia and new Zealand should be there starting place to market there stuff.

"Where do they get off"?! You make it sound like this is some kind of intentional slight to America. Rolling Eyes

One of the three shows lined up - Keitai Shoujo - is available to North Americans and will be absolutely free from the 3rd of December until the end of Feb 2008. So stop whining.

If the other shows aren't available in the US, it's because they couldn't secure the rights (presumably because there's a chance those shows will be licensed in the US) - that's hardly Bost's fault.

Oh, and read the FAQ:

Quote:
Why isn't <insert> available in my country? When will it be available?
This is due to licensing issues from the content provider. Please let us know where you are viewing our site from, and we will discuss with our partners. We are continually striving to secure more exciting content and to expand the number of regions where we can show our current content. Our feedback form is here.

The more interest they get from the US, the more chances of them paying to license material for that market.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The streams are subtitled in English with a Japanese soundtrack, and Bost plans to add more languages in the future.

Isn't this what all those sub fans want? While the titles are limited at the moment this is a legal way to view and damned cheaply in the UK ($1.99≈£1 an episode...a 3 ep OAV can be around £10-15 if you're lucky).

This has my full moral and financial support, I'd actually prefer to see the hospital one as opposed to keitai but I'll take what I can get.

Now a subscription would be nice eventually for it to be worthwhile they need to reach a critical mass of titles first, if they only have a few small shows then paying £30+ a month to watch those is not exactly great...
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
o.o I say discounted subscriptions.

$1.99 per episode is hardly expensive. And it's reasonable. However, I think there should be some kind of special for multiple episodes.

Realistically, I don't see it as a big deal, you rent DVDs for $4.99 or less at a Blockbuster, keep it and then send it back anyway, so streaming anime is pretty much the same thing, just without the physical disk.

If they put it that way...I think.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:

Licensing stuff.

Plus us USians have more access to titles already.

Anyways, when this gets bigger, I don't want to see a single fansub DLer spout a single excuse as to why they download fansubs. This is it. You get it straight from the source, and when it's bigger, you'll get it faster. Hah.

Personally, I shall now say farewell to my old ways of purchasing DVDs from American companies. By the end of the generation, the future will be the present, and this will be the way. No more DVDs for me...

Goodbye, my fandom, I shall miss you.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I am being premature but I wanted to give the system a run through. I have become a member and purchased 500pts (the lowest you can get), I KNOW that the initial series for UK release is available free, as the money I am sending is hardly extortionate from a UK standpoint I decided that simply for the sake of support I'd do it now.

You cannot purchase 1 episode for $1.99, instead you purchase points in denominations, 500, 1000, 2000, up to 5000 pts. As far as I can see there is no advantage to purchasing in bulk. 5000pts = $99.50 and 500 = $9.95 therefore 10x as many pts = 10x the cost.

After skimming through it the price per episode is 100pts, therefore £4.96 ≈ $9.95 ≈ 5 episodes with unlimited viewing for the purchase period (2 weeks so far), I have not been able to check out the quality of the episodes yet as they become available in the UK from the 3rd of Dec, but the free DVD style extra (clean opening) played through with no problems, in high quality (at least quality I find perfectly acceptable, I'm no expert on frame rates or any of that largely meaningless crap, it looks good and clean ergo it is acceptable) you are able to skip ahead and back and forth through the video clip. Obviously as it is streamed you must first wait for the video to buffer/load/etc, it was quick, buffering MUCH faster than the play speed but there is potential for it to slow down considerably with overload or a poor connection.

You get an account and can view the videos you purchase from any computer which has compatible software, Adobe Flash 8+, internet. All payments are made through PayPal.

I am excited about this service, while it may not be a good deal for the American audience if they keep the pricing scheme as it is then this provides DVD content for about 1/4 of the price of a DVD (I don't care about most extras, they are usually crap and I almost never watch any of them except for series trailers anyway). Obviously I have the advantage of having a high, stable income but this service, if it pans out and they can get ahold of more titles and of course can keep older titles in their store then I am more than willing to pay for the service they provide.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I've also joined (though I'll have to wait a week before the first UK-allowed series is available) and it looks pretty good thus far.

I doubt I'll be using it all that much (for the simple reason that I don't like watching stuff on my computer) but I'll certainly use it to preview series before choosing whether or not to buy them on DVD and I may also watch stuff that doesn't look likely to be licensed.

Presuming they can quickly add new shows to their line-up and make them available across the English-speaking world, this pretty much clubs to death any remaining mealy-mouthed excuses people have for stealing anime.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Heh, when I saw the name Bost, I thought this service was running out of Boston, Massachusetts. Razz

It must be a coincidence that a day after Sevakis' editorial, this service just got start up. So far so good, they've got themselves a decent starting format.

For everyone who wants to know more about the site's details, such as content and pricing and recuperations, Aaron, the moderator on the forums, will answer your questions. Smile

I'm hoping more anime production companies will jump on board by providing more of their titles to be shown on this service or possibly their own should they decide to start something like this. If this proves to be successful, we may just be on our way to finally solving this fansub problem once and for all. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Was Kadokawa US suppose to start a service like this a few months ago? Didn't I see a news report saying something to that effect? We are still waiting for Sony to fire up AniMax and ANX here in the UK but so far it's all shirt but no trousers.
5 million Yen = £22,477.64. I could buy a nice Toyota Prius T-Spirit for that. Ah Subs only, oh well, it's a start lets see how long it stays up.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Well this is interesting. I've been wanting to see Shinigami no Ballad for a while, so it would be nice if us NAers can see that one at some point. In the meantime, I've signed up and I'll be watching Keitai Shoujo.

Also, Mr. Chou-Chun Fan said something interesting on AoD:

Chou-Chun Fan wrote:
Draneor wrote:
Well, Keitai Shoujo was an Original Net Animation (ONA) in which the viewers got to vote on who ended up with the main character (hence, I would think they made five endings beforehand). I'm guessing the non-used endings might be released on DVD, perhaps? What I find interesting is it seems BOST TV is letting us choose our own ending. So it may end up differently than the one the Japanese got. Or perhaps I am misunderstanding something?

You are quite correct actually - we are indeed letting our viewers choose which one of the 5 possible endings from the show to put online, just like how it was done when Keitai Shoujo was shown in Japan. And currently it looks that the taste between the shores is indeed quite different.

The result is hardly set in stone however, so place your votes!
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quote
What I want to know is, will this be a family thing, or will it be just another adult-oriented project that focuses more on benefiting the fans aged 18-34 at the expense of "everyone else" (whereby it arbitrarily implies that "anime" is meant for "adults")? More importantly, are they using some kind of "age gate" (where you have to be 18 to use the site), or is it too early for that (what with three titles and all)?

I guess what I really want to know is, what's the catch? Does this site have any kind of skeletons in its closet?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
What I want to know is, will this be a family thing, or will it be just another adult-oriented project that focuses more on benefiting the fans aged 18-34 at the expense of "everyone else" (whereby it arbitrarily implies that "anime" is meant for "adults")? More importantly, are they using some kind of "age gate" (where you have to be 18 to use the site), or is it too early for that (what with three titles and all)?

You need a valid debit or credit card to use Paypal so I presume that restricts the content to over 18s.

There's not really any reason why they would target under-18s in any case. This is a business and it's that 18-34(+) demographic you mentioned that tends to have real money to spend on anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3